Open TigerLinks

"Biggest Loser" reality show will be in Memphis
Bookmark and Share
OneShiningMoment Away
MT.org's Smartass and Dumbass

I Root For: OnCampusStadium

Donators
"Biggest Loser" reality show will be in Memphis
for casting. WREG said that will be one of the stories tomorrow (Mon, Aug. 13, 2007) in the CA. Anyone in Camp Cal gonna try out for this?
(This post was last modified: 08-13-2007 12:21 AM by OneShiningMoment.)
08-12-2007 10:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

OneShiningMoment Away
MT.org's Smartass and Dumbass

I Root For: OnCampusStadium

Donators
RE: "Biggest Losers" reality show will be in Memphis
from ca.com:

NBC casts contestants for 'Loser' in Memphis

By Fredric Koeppel

August 13, 2007

NBC's "The Biggest Loser" returns for a fourth season with a two-hour premiere Sept. 11.

But even before the fourth season debuts, casting directors from the show are looking for contestants for the fifth season.

They will be in Memphis Saturday for an open casting call from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at 24 Hour Fitness, 1285 Ridgeway.

Last season, Erik Chopin won the reality television show that pits teams of overweight contestants in a "voting-off-the-team" format similar to "Survivor" and its spinoffs.

Chopin lost 214 pounds, or 52.6 percent of his body weight, on the show's third season. He gained $250,000 for the victory.

While the obvious qualifications for participating on "The Biggest Loser" are being overweight and wanting to lose weight, NBC casting director Martin Booker said there's another aspect that helps people get accepted to the show.

"It's the personality," he said. "We want people to be dynamic ... so viewers will relate to them and want them to succeed. I mean, Erik Chopin last season went through an amazing transformation, and viewers really rooted for him and got behind them."

While previous seasons in the grueling process of losing weight have focused on individuals, the fifth season of "The Biggest Loser" is taking a new tack and looking not just for individuals but for twins, families, co-workers and friends and retirees.

"Of course we're still interested in individuals," Booker said, "but this year we're very interested in looking for teams -- you know, mother and daughter, father and son, husband and wife, friends, anybody that they could team with would be great. And we like the relationships to have some history."

Contestants on "The Biggest Loser" are isolated at a ranch and separated into red and blue teams that work under the supervision of professional trainers; some might call it boot camp. The environment and the demands on contestants can get intense as they are tempted with their favorite foods in exchange for rewards like calling their families. The team that loses the least weight each week votes off one of its members. At a certain point, as the teams are reduced in number, they're dissolved and the contestants compete one on one.

"What viewers see," said Booker, "is the pain that the contestants go through. And whatever you're dealing with, it's just nice to see that with dedication and hard work you can make a change on any level. Even me, I mean, I've cast 'The Apprentice' and 'Real World,' and when you see these people and how they've succeeded and changed themselves, there's just this light in their eyes."

Applicants for "The Biggest Loser" must be at least 18 and be legal residents of the United States.

As well as the open casting Saturday, people may apply by e-mailing a picture and short biography to nbcbl5@yahoo.com.

-- Fredric Koeppel: 529-2376
08-13-2007 12:21 AM
JTiger Offline
Grand Master Sexaaayyyy

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
RE: "Biggest Loser" reality show will be in Memphis
I've watched past seasons of this show and it seems only guys that are "really" heavy have a chance at winning. By heavy I'm talking 320+ range. I don't think a lady has ever won the show, but it's not really about that on this show. It really seem like it's about getting your life back and your family getting you back. One of the reality shows I look forward to watching every season, and my wife loved Bob the trainer. What are you gonna do???
08-13-2007 07:10 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.