Unregistered

Jacksonville University vs. FSU - Baseball
After six innings, it's FSU 4, JU 2. 02-13-banana
04-04-2006 06:52 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MsNole
Unregistered

Bottom of the 7th, bases loaded with 2 outs... new pitcher in for JU...and FSU can't score... 04-chairshot
04-04-2006 07:18 PM
MsNole
Unregistered

Quote:JU 000 002 000 2 5 1
FSU 101 020 00X 4 10 0

W - Hyde (6-0) L - Brown (2-1) S - Tucker (7)

Noles make it 15 straight over Jacksonville
by FSU Sports Info.

It was good to be back at home for the third-ranked FSU baseball team. The Seminoles (28-4) returned to Mike Martin Field and picked up right where they left off by winning their 32nd consecutive home game. FSU downed Jacksonville (23-10) for the 15th consecutive time and kept a home winning streak alive versus JU that dates back to 1991 and is now at 23 games. Michael Hyde (6-0) pitched 6 1/3 in picking up the win and the Seminole bullpen was stellar once again.

"Jacksonville is a much improved team this year," said FSU Head Coach Martin after the Dolphins held the potent FSU attack to four runs for the second time in two meetings. "They pitched very, very well. They are a very scrappy team. We were very fortunate tonight. We played good baseball. Credit Jacksonville, they pitched us tough."

Despite scoring the same amount of runs as they did in the first meeting, the Seminoles had twice as many hits Tuesday night. Seven different FSU players combined for 10 hits but none was bigger than Ryne Malone's two-run homerun in the fifth. The junior went yard for the seventh time this season and the 26th time in his career.

FSU All-American Shane Robinson had a big game as well. The junior swiped his 19th base of the season and moved into a tie for fifth all-time at FSU with his 87th career steal. He also extended his hitting streak to 19 games, which is the longest by a Seminole in 2006.

"I don't really think about it," said Robinson of the hitting streak. "I am just going out there trying to do what I do everyday. I am kind of disappointed with the way I am playing recently. There are some little things I need to work on but the rest of the team is picking it up."

Hyde had one of his strongest outings of the year for FSU on the hill as he set a season-high for innings pitched and tied a season high for strikeouts. The junior threw 107 pitches and struck out four batters. He issued four walks and both runs he allowed came in the 6th inning.

"I thought Michael Hyde had his best outing of the year," said Martin. "Jacksonville is hitting .325 as a team. They are strong offensively. There were a couple of guys out of their line-up but Michael Hyde pitched very well."

"I just tried to come out and pitch the best I can with as much confidence as I can," said Hyde of his performance. "I wanted to just give my team a chance to win. I worked on a few things since my last start. Some little things. Most of all it is a mental thing. Just getting the confidence. I felt really good tonight."

Three FSU relievers came in and closed the door on the Dolphins. Freshman Travis Burge relieved Hyde with two runners on and just one out. The Port St. Joe, FL native fanned both batters to end the threat. Brent Marsh and Luke Tucker followed by not allowing a base runner in the eighth or ninth and combing to K four JU hitters. Tucker struck out the side in the ninth to pick up his 7th save of the year.

"That young man is very composed," said Martin of Burge. "He gets out there and enjoys competing. I was very pleased with the way he pitched.

"Any successful team has to have a strong bullpen and our bullpen pitched great tonight. Travis Burge, Brent Marsh and Luke Tucker all did a nice job."

Robinson opened the game by reaching base in his first at bat for the 17th time this season and for the 16th time in those 17 games FSU went on to record the victory. After a walk to Jack Rye, both runners moved into scoring position on a double steal. Buster Posey then put FSU in front on a ground out to third scoring Robinson.

JU starter Tim Brown (2-1) got into two-out trouble in the third as Posey doubled and moved to third on a wild pitch. After a walk to Malone, Posey came in on a delayed double steal making it a 2-0 game.

New Dolphin pitcher Garrett Dunlap got into a jam in the fourth. He walked new DH Travis Anderson on four pitches and then gave up a bloop single to shallow center field to Ryan Strauss. After Dunlap got the first out, Danny Diaz looked like he was going to add to the Seminole lead by lacing a ball down the left field line. JU's Daniel Murphy snared the liner at third and doubled up Anderson to end the threat.

Hyde got into his first jam of the night in the bottom of the fourth. He gave up just his third hit of the night and followed the base knock with his second walk. The junior got out of the inning though with his 4th K, tying a season high.

Rye started the fifth with a double versus JU's third pitcher of the game. Just when it looked like the Seminoles would strand the sophomore Malone stepped up and blasted a two-out homer over the fence in right. It as the 7th homerun of the year for Malone and made it a 4-0 game.

The Dolphins put together a threat in the sixth as back-to-back base hits put two on with nobody away. JU then ended the shutout bid as back-to-back ground outs scored runs cutting the Florida State lead in half.

In the 7th the Dolphins put two more runners on base as Burge came into the game to try and keep FSU in front. The freshman did just that as he fanned the next two hitters to retire the side.

Florida State tried to put together a two-out rally in the 7th as Posey recorded his second double of the game and Malone walked. An infield single by Thomas loaded the bases but new pitcher Justin Young put out the fire fanning the next batter leaving the bases full of Seminoles.

Florida State is back on the road this weekend as they open a three-game ACC with Boston College. It will be the first ever meetings between the programs. Game Tracker will be available for every game this season along with live radio broadcasts available on WFLA locally and free on the Internet at seminoles.com.

Section B Online Player of the Game:
Michael Hyde (6.1 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 4 BB, 4 K, W)
04-07-2006 12:37 AM
MsNole
Unregistered

Game 3
[quote]Wednesday: FSU @ Jacksonville 6:00 (Hyde)

FSU vs JU Preview/Weekly Notebook
by FSU Sports Info.

THE SERIES
The Seminoles lead the all-time series with JU 107-33 and they are 36-23 in Jacksonville with one of those wins coming at the Baseball Grounds. FSU has won 15 straight games in the series. The last time a Seminole squad lost to JU was February 24, 2002 in Jacksonville. The Dolphins won that game 13-4. It tied the series record for the most runs scored by JU versus FSU and the widest margin of victory for JU. The record was set in 1971 in an identical 13-4 JU win on their campus. Jacksonville has had a lot of success in the series in games played on their home field. In Tallahassee the Seminoles are 71-10 for a .877 winning percentage but that winning percentage drops to .610 in games played at JU. FSU has scored 10 or more runs in seven of the last 12 meetings and recorded two shutouts in that stretch. Besides the two shutouts, JU has had success producing runs. The Dolphins have scored three or more runs in eight meetings but have never been closer than five runs in any of those 10 games before this season. The two games this year have been decided by just two and three runs. The longest win streak for FSU in the series is 18 games set between 1980-2002 while JU
04-12-2006 04:42 PM
Advertisement

MsNole
Unregistered

Game 3
Top of the 1st

Ryne Malone hit a 2-run single and the score is...

Seminoles 2
Dolphins 0

Tony Thomas, Jr., is out at 1st base... that's the 2nd out...

02-13-banana
04-12-2006 05:21 PM
MsNole
Unregistered

After the 1st inning, the score is...

Seminoles 2
Dolphins 9

02-13-banana 02-13-banana
04-12-2006 05:30 PM
MsNole
Unregistered

Top of the 2nd

Runner on 1st for the Seminoles...

Danny Diaz is up ... 2-1 and a balk is called on the Jacksonville pitcher... although Charles tried to steal 2nd and almost got called out... whew... 03-melodramatic 3-1 to Danny... and Danny walks... 02-13-banana

Runners on 1st and 2nd... Shane Robinson is up to bat... and Shane hit a little blooper and the Dolphins can't get it... Base LOADED wtih one out...
02-13-banana

2-0 tp Jack Rye... 3-0 to Jack... a WALK to Jack and the score is...

Seminoles 3
Dolphins 0

Bases still LOADED with Seminoles...

Buster Posey is up... Posey hits a 2 run double... 04-rock 02-13-banana 04-rock and the Dolphins make another error... hehehe

Seminoles 5
Dolphins 0

Still only one out...

Malone is up for the Noles... 3-2 to Malone... popup and 2 outs

Tony Thomas is up... and the Dolphins leap into the air and catch Tony's hit ball... but the Seminoles score 3 runs in this inning. 02-13-banana 02-13-banana 02-13-banana
04-12-2006 05:52 PM
MsNole
Unregistered

Game 3
Quote:FSU 230 110 003 10 11 1
JU 010 000 000 1 7 4

W - Hyde (7-0) L - Brickle (0-2)

FSU Wins 16th Straight Over Jacksonville

Michael Hyde pitches six strong innings as Seminoles capitalize on four JU errors.
by FSU Sports Info.

The second-ranked FSU baseball team continued its win streak versus Jacksonville Wednesday night. The Seminoles downed JU 10-1 Wednesday night notching their 16th straight victory in the series. FSU (32-4) capitalized on four JU errors by scoring four unearned runs and Michael Hyde improved to 7-0 with a strong six inning performance. Florida State had double digit hits for the second straight time versus the Dolphins and scored more runs than they did in the first two meetings combined.

"We got fortunate early," said FSU Head Coach Mike Martin of the JU miscues. "We pounded some balls into the ground and got base hits out of them. We got some quality at bats and I was just very pleased with the way we played tonight."

"The best thing in the world for a pitcher is to pitch with the lead and I have been fortunate enough this year to pitch in front of a great offense," said Hyde when asked about FSU getting out to a 5-0 lead after two innings. "You know these guys are going to get runs for you. In the top of the first inning we came out and got some runs and that is great support for me."

Hyde won his third straight game as he had an impressive outing. The junior allowed just six hits and struck out five Dolphin batters. He issued just two walks and threw 94 pitches. Brian Chambers, Jimmy Marshall and Matt DiBlasi each pitched in relief and neither gave up a run.

"I was able to get ahead with my fastball early," said Hyde of his performance. "That was one thing I worked on before the last time I faced this team. I just knew I had to better tonight because they would be better tonight. I feel really confident in my pitching right now. It is coming along. I struggled for a little while but I am getting back on top of things and feel better."

"Michael Hyde did a good job as did the bullpen," said Martin. "Michael has been battling for the third spot in the rotation all year and he has pitched very well his last two outings versus JU."

Offensively Jack Rye and Shane Robinson had multi-hit games as Robinson extended his hit streak to 23 games. Robinson recorded his first three hit game since March 4 as he went 3-for-6 on the night. FSU's 1-4 hitters recorded all seven RBIs. Robinson, Buster Posey and Ryne Malone each drove in two runs and Jack Rye drove in another. It was the 10th multi-RBI game of the season for Posey, tied for the second-most on the team. All 11 of FSU's hits in the game were singles marking the second time in the last four games FSU has singled 10 or more times in a game.

It didn't take long for Robinson to extend his hit streak to 23-games as he singled the first pitch of the game off JU starter Donald Brickle (0-2). Rye then sent the second pitch of the game to the right side for a base hit. The single moved Robinson to third and Rye moved to second as the Dolphins tried to throw out Robinson on the play. Brickle got the first out on a grounder to third but Ryne Malone cashed in on a 0-2 pitch that he lined into right field plating both runners as FSU jumped out to a 2-0 lead.

JU tried to answer in the bottom of the first off of Michael Hyde (7-0). A one-out single and a stolen base put a runner in scoring position but the Dolphins were unable to plate the run.

Charles Cleveland chopped a one-out single up the middle to start the second and then moved up a base on a balk. Danny Diaz drew a walk to bring the top of the FSU back up to the plate. An error on the next play loaded the bases up. Brickle lost Rye on a 3-1 pitch to force in a run as the lead grew to 3-0. Posey then chopped a ball down to third that went right past the third baseman allowing two more runs to score on the second error of the frame. With two runners in scoring position Tony Thomas, Jr. looked like he was going to increase the lead as he ripped a ball to third base. Daniel Murphy climbed the ladder and snagged the liner saving to more runs and ending the top half of the second.

Jacksonville got on the board in the second as they were aided by the first FSU error of the game. After a single, Hyde threw away a ball to first that allowed the JU runner to make it all the way to third. The run then came in on a ground out making it a 5-1 ball game.

Diaz drew his second walk to lead off the fourth. After Brickle got the next two hitters, JU picked Diaz off but the throw to second base sailed into the outfield allowing Diaz to reach safely. FSU made JU pay for the mistake once again as Posey singled the run in for the sixth run, four of which were been unearned.

Diaz got on base for the third straight time as he singled to start the sixth. Robinson followed with a base knock to put runners on first and second with nobody away. Justin Young, the second JU pitcher of the night, got the first out on a K. A ground ball accounted for the second out and with runners on the corners a walk to Malone loaded the bases once again. New JU hurler Aaron Parvey ended the threat on a fly out to right.

Hyde opened the bottom of the seventh by giving up back-to-back base hits as he neared 100 pitches on the night. That brought Brian Chambers into the game to try and protect the FSU lead. Chambers got the first hitter he faced to ground into a double play, the second for FSU in the game. Then a fly ball out ended the frame with no damage done.

The Seminoles tacked on two more runs in the ninth as they loaded the bases with just one away. Robinson cashed in with a two-run single to make it a 9-1 game. Posey sacrificed the 10th run home.

Florida State opens a huge series with 14th-ranked Miami (24-12, 9-6) at home Friday night. The series will be a battle between the two teams sitting atop the ACC's Atlantic and Coastal Divisions. Game time is set for 7:00 p.m. Saturday the teams will square of at 7:00 p.m. on FSN Florida and Sunday's finale will be broadcast by SUN Sports and is scheduled for a 1:00 p.m. start. Game Tracker will be available for every game this season along with live radio broadcasts available on WFLA locally and free on the Internet at seminoles.com.

Section B Online Player of the Game:
Michael Hyde (6.0 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 5 K)
04-12-2006 10:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.