Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

FSU vs. Virginia Tech - Baseball '06
MsNole
Unregistered

FSU vs. Virginia Tech - Baseball '06
Will this be like the football game??? :)

Friday :FSU @ Virginia Tech (Henry) 3:00
Saturday: FSU @ Virginia Tech (Chambliss) 2:00
Sunday: FSU @ Virginia Tech (Hyde) 12:00

[quote]The Florida State baseball team improved to 19-1 after a three game sweep over Maryland and a shutout win over #28 Winthrop on Tuesday night. Who's hot, who's not, and what's next for the Tribe as the 2006 campaign continues with three games against the Virginia Tech Hokies and the first of four with Jacksonville in the coming week?

THE VIRGINIA TECH SERIES
Florida State leads the all time series with Virginia Tech 23-4 winning 85% of the meetings, which is the second highest among ACC opponents (Maryland .938). The Seminoles have not lost to the Hokies since April 21st, 1989, winning 14 straight games since that loss. FSU has only played three games all-time at Virginia Tech and Florida State is undefeated in Blacksburg. The last time the two teams met in Blacksburg was May 8-10, 1990 and FSU won by scores of 6-4, 5-1 and 25-14. There has never been a shutout in the series and last year
03-16-2006 07:07 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MsNole
Unregistered

Top of the 2nd

FSU 2
VTech 0

The temp in Blacksburg is 50 and windy... not as bad as the Noles were expecting... 03-melodramatic
03-17-2006 03:26 PM
MsNole
Unregistered

Top of the 5th

Bases loaded, nobody out... double play by the Hokies, but the Noles score another run...

Noles 3
Hokies 0
03-17-2006 04:08 PM
Advertisement

MsNole
Unregistered

Henry picks off a baserunner for the 3rd out. 04-rock 02-13-banana 04-rock
03-17-2006 04:17 PM
MsNole
Unregistered

Top of the 6th

Noles leave 2 runners on base...
03-17-2006 04:27 PM
Advertisement

MsNole
Unregistered

Top of the 7th

Shane is the 1st batter up... he hits it to the wall and the Hokie outfielder can't catch it... Shane is on 3rd. Shane scores...

Noles 4
Hokies 0

Guinn hits it to the wall... and the Hokie outfielder again can't get to it... another error on VTech... Guinn makes it to 3rd. There's only 1 out... oh, they're saying it's not an error on VTech, but giving Guinn a triple. That's OK, we'll take it 02-13-banana

Malone walks... runners on 1st and 3rd. Oh,... coach out to the pitcher's mound... hit and run hit beautifully... Guinn scores! 04-rock

Noles 5
Hokies 0

Runners on 1st and 3rd... Coach back to the pitcher's mound and this time we'll get a new pitcher. 05-mafia

1 out... Basehit for Tony Thomas and another run scores for the Noles

Noles 6
Hokies 0

Runners on 1st and 2nd... 3-1 to Maxie... ohhh, don't swing at that boy 3-2 and basehit -

Noles 7

Another pitcher comes in for the Hokies

McCardle batting for the Noles.... deep, deep... HOMERUN 04-jawdrop

NOLES 10

That was McCardle's 2nd homerun this year!!! 02-13-banana

And Strauss hits a HOMERUN Back-to-back homeruns by the Seminoles 04-rock

Noles 11 02-13-banana 02-13-banana 02-13-banana

Oops... 2 outs... heeheehee

Basehit by Guinn... 12 Seminoles batters have come to the plate in this inning. Another new pitcher is coming in for the Hokies.

Malone is up again... ouch Malone got hit in the helmet... bases loaded...

Posey is up again... popup 3rd out... BUT the Seminoles score 8 runs in the top of the 7th... 04-jawdrop
03-17-2006 04:55 PM
MsNole
Unregistered

Georgia Tech is losing 8-1 to NC State 04-jawdrop
03-17-2006 05:20 PM
Advertisement

MsNole
Unregistered

Bottom of the 9th

Hokies finally score a run... it's

Noles 11
Hokies 1

Good God, the Noles just got sloppy and let another run score... 04-jawdrop

Noles 11
Hokies 2

Finally got the 3rd out...
03-17-2006 05:46 PM
Paul
Unregistered

'Noles are rolling at 20-1.
03-18-2006 01:37 AM
Advertisement

Paul
Unregistered

Lots of surprises today...

Maryland beat Carolina
NC ST drilled Ga Tech
UVA edged by Clemson

:banned:
03-18-2006 01:41 AM
MsNole
Unregistered

Noles Lose today...
Quote:Hokies Snap No. 1 FSU's 17-Game Win Streak In Comeback Fashion
Virginia Tech comes back from 7-3 deficit to snap 15-game slide versus Seminoles.

March 18, 2006

Blacksburg, VA - All good things must come to an end and for the top-ranked Seminoles their 17-game win streak and 15-game win streak versus Virginia Tech came to a close Saturday in Blacksburg. After taking a 7-3 lead, the FSU bullpen was unable to hold off the Hokies as Virginia Tech (8-10, 1-4) scored five runs in the seventh inning to down FSU 9-7. The loss was the first for FSU (20-2, 4-1) since February 10 versus Auburn and the first to the Hokies since April 21, 1989.

"Anytime you are not able to keep a four-run lead, especially on the road, it is very disappointing," said FSU Head Coach Mike Martin. "You have to take your hat off to Virginia Tech. They did a good job of clutch hitting. It is a credit to them.

"I am very proud of the streak these young men put together and very disappointed that it came to an end."

Michael Hyde got the start for Tyler Chambliss who was under the weather and unable to go Saturday. The junior went 2 1/3 innings before giving way to Brian Chambers. Chambers was strong in relief going 3 2/3 and allowing just one run but he and relievers Matt DiBlasi and Brent Marsh (1-1) couldn't get FSU out of the seventh as the Hokies scored the second-most runs allowed by the Seminoles in an inning this year.

"There is never an excuse for Florida State baseball but those were some tough conditions to play in," said Martin of temperatures in the 40's and winds blowing out to dead center at 15 mph.

Florida State out hit the Hokies 12-10 and had eight extra base hits compared to six for Virginia Tech. The Seminoles got three homers from Shane Robinson, Dennis Guinn and Buster Posey but it was the two by Tech's Jose Rojas that made the difference in the game. Rojas had five RBIs in the victory.

For FSU, Guinn went 3-for-5 with three RBIs as he came up just a single short of hitting for the cycle. Jack Rye and Robinson both had multi-hit games while Posey and Guinn combined to drive in five of FSU's seven runs.

The Seminoles looked to break on top early off Hokie starter Nicky Bowers. Rye drew a walk and Ryne Malone sent a two-out single through the right side. With runners on the corners Bowers walked Posey to load the bases but FSU couldn't cash in versus the senior.

While FSU put another runner on base in the top of the second, it was Virginia Tech that scored first. With one out in the inning Matt Hacker doubled to the gap in left. Rojas then laced a Michael Hyde offering over the wall in dead center putting Virginia Tech up 2-0 early on.

Rye got the Seminoles off to a good start in the top of the third with a lead-off triple. Guinn brought the run home on FSU's second extra base hit in as many at bats as the sophomore double off the wall in left field cutting the Hokie lead in half. Posey then put FSU in front as the freshman crushed his first homerun of the season to dead center field 400 feet away.

A lead-off double and walk put Virginia Tech back in business in the bottom of the third. Both runners moved into scoring position as Rye crashed into the right field wall to secure the first out of the inning. Another Hyde walk loaded the bases then a single to shallow right field evened the game at 3-3 with the bases still juiced. That signaled the end of the day for Hyde who had his shortest outing of the year as a starter. Chambers relieved Hyde and got the job done as he needed just two pitches to end the threat. Malone fielded a difficult grounder and started the 5-4-3 double play that ended the third.

Another outfield error cost the Hokies in the series. After Robinson had a one-out single, Rye smashed a ball to deep center field that was dropped on the warning track allowing Robinson to come all the way home from first. Guinn then made the Hokies pay for the mistake as the sophomore hit his sixth homerun of the season scoring Rye to make it a 6-3 FSU lead.

Tony Thomas, Jr. extended his hit streak to 13 games by leading off the fifth with a single through the left side of the infield. The streak is the second-longest by a Seminole in 2006 trailing Guinn's 14-game run by just one game.

Robinson single-handedly extended the FSU lead in the sixth as the junior hit his second homer of the season. He sent this one out of left center making it a 7-3 FSU advantage. Guinn continued his torrid hitting as he recorded his third extra base hit in as many at bats. His two-out triple added to the double and homerun he hit earlier in the game.

In the bottom of the seventh Tech threatened FSU's lead as Seminole relievers DiBlasi and Marsh combined to issue two walks and hit a batter to load the bases. Marsh then gave up a two run single as Tech cut the lead to 7-6. The Hokies then went on top as Marsh gave up a three-run bomb to Rojas, the second of the game for the sophomore, as Virginia Tech re-captured the lead at 9-7. Tech's five runs came on just two hits.

Rye gave the Seminoles some hope with a two-out double in the eighth but Tech reliever Adam Redd (2-1) continued his dominant relief effort. After surrendering a homer to Robinson when he first entered the game, Redd held FSU at bay the rest of the way pitching four innings allowing one run, no walks and striking out five.

Florida State will complete its series with Virginia Tech Sunday at 12:00 p.m. Tyler Chambliss (5-0), who missed his start Saturday due to illness, is expected to take the hill for FSU and he will face off against Greg Fryman (2-1). Game Tracker will be available for every game this season along with a live radio broadcasts available on WFLA locally and free on the Internet at seminoles.com.
03-18-2006 10:43 PM
MsNole
Unregistered

Quote:Chambliss Fans 10 Hokies In Leading No. 1 FSU To 9-4 Win In Series Finale
Dennis Guinn hits his second grand slam of the season and Shane Robinson drives in three.

March 19, 2006

Blacksburg, VA - Seminole junior Tyler Chambliss missed his scheduled start Saturday due to illness. On Sunday he took the hill and made the Virginia Tech batters feel sick. The right-hander struck out 10 Hokie batters while allowing just one run as he led the top-ranked Seminoles (21-2, 5-1) to a 9-4 victory over Tech (8-11, 1-5) in Blacksburg Sunday. Dennis Guinn hit his second grand slam of the season and Shane Robinson drove in three runs as FSU took the series 2-1.

"I was just very pleased with the way we played the entire series," said FSU Head Coach Mike Martin. "These were very difficult conditions but there was nothing but a complete focus on getting the job done. I was pleased with the way we played. You have to give Virginia Tech credit for the way they played yesterday but I thought our guys came out today and Tyler really set the tone by pitching outstanding baseball for seven innings."

"I felt good today," said Chambliss. "The first couple innings I still felt sick but I sweated it out and got into a rhythm. I started throwing it pretty good, the curve ball worked. I just tried to hit my location and it worked out for me today."

Chambliss (6-0, 2-0) put together his second straight stellar start as he went seven innings and allowed just one run on three hits. He issued four walks and in just his last two starts he has rung up 25 batters, as many batters as he did in his first five starts combined.

"After being in the hotel room all weekend long to come out today and pitch the way he did was a great example of his dedication to our ball club," said Martin. "He understood the importance of getting this win and gave us every opportunity to get the victory."

"I have found my curveball lately," said Chambliss when asked about his strikeouts in the last two games. "In my first couple starts it just wasn't there. I wasn't trying to throw the curve as hard as I usually do as I adjusted to throwing more innings. As I get stronger and stronger I feel like I can throw it the way I want and still go a complete game every time out."

Robinson and Guinn swung the biggest sticks for FSU as the two combined for seven RBIs. Robinson accounted for two on a triple in the sixth and Guinn got four with one swing of the bat on his second grand slam of the season, which was part of FSU's five-run eighth inning. The Seminole first baseman had seven hits in the series, five of which went for extra bases. He hit a double, two triples and two homers in the three games. Guinn slugged 1.125 and drove in seven runs.

"I felt like I saw the ball well all weekend," said Guinn. "I had a couple of bad swings today but the one the pitcher left up I did something with it."

Robinson opened the game with a walk off Hokie starter Greg Fryman (2-2) and then a one out single by Guinn put runners on the corners. Ryne Malone drove in a run on a ground out to the right side and Buster Posey then drew a walk on which Guinn moved to third as the ball got away from the catcher. Tony Thomas, Jr. then delivered a two-out RBI single boosting the FSU lead to 2-0. It was Thomas' 14th straight game with a hit, tying the longest hit streak by a Seminole batter in 2006.

Tommy Oravetz led off the second with a double as he laced Fryman's offering down the right field line but a failed sac bunt cost the Seminoles as Robinson sent a deep fly ball to center that would have plated the third FSU run of the game. A walk to Rye, Fryman's third of the game, put runners on the corners but FSU was unable to plate another runner.

The Seminoles got another leadoff double in the fourth as Rye sent one into the gap in right. FSU could not move Rye off second though as two groundouts and a fly out ended the frame as Florida State stranded its sixth runner in five innings.

Unlike the previous four innings, FSU got runners on base in the sixth and thanks to Robinson he brought them around to score. Singles by Kyle Maxie and Ryan Strauss set the stage for Robinson who drove a ball 400 feet off the center field wall for a two-out, two-run triple. It was the third triple of the season for Robinson and it made the score 4-0.

Virginia Tech answered in the bottom of the sixth as Sheldon Adams put a Chambliss pitch over the center field fence. It was the first homer of the season for Adams and it cut the FSU lead to 4-1. Chambliss got the next batter on a ground ball before walking back-to-back batters but the junior closed out the inning with no further damage.

In the top of the eighth the Seminoles looked to tack some more runs on to their lead as the first two batters walked. Strauss singled off Tech's third pitcher of the day to load the bases and then Robinson drove in his third run of the game on a fielder's choice. Robinson swiped second and then a walk by the fourth Hokie pitcher of the afternoon loaded the bases. The Hokies made their fifth change on the hill to face Guinn, the only Seminole with a grand slam in 2006. The sophomore did it again as he hit a line drive just over the wall at the 330 foot mark making it a 9-1 FSU advantage. It was the seventh hit in the series for Guinn, five of which went for extra bases.

"The first pitch was a fastball away and I took that," said Guinn. "The next one he left the splitter up about middle in and I hit it out. It is nice to get all those RBIs but give credit to those guys in front of me for getting on base. You can always count on those guys getting on. It feels pretty good to be able to bring them home."

The Hokies once again showed they would not quit versus FSU reliever Mark Sauls. After retiring the first hitter, Virginia Tech put together four straight hits, two of which were doubles, to cut the FSU lead to 9-3. Another run came in on the second out of the inning, a grounder to third, before Sauls retired the side to end the eighth.

A couple of errors and a walk opened the door for the Hokies in the bottom of the ninth versus Luke Tucker. The junior got out of the bases loaded jam though as he struck out the side ending the game.

Florida State returns to action this Wednesday as the team heads back out on the road. FSU will take a short drive down to Jacksonville to face the Dolphins. Game time is 7:00 p.m. and will be played on the JU campus. Game Tracker will be available for every game this season along with a live radio broadcasts available on WFLA locally and free on the Internet at seminoles.com.
03-20-2006 07:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.