Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

A-Sun Dunk Contest?
Bookmark and Share
Collinr01 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Kennesaw State
A-Sun Dunk Contest?
Why couldn't we put something like this together as a Pre-Season event to promote our teams and our athletes? It would help the students get to know the players from the other teams in the Asun before the season starts to hopefully promote higher game attendance. As of right now if I brought up some of the schools in our conference to people in this area, they wouldn't even know what state the schools are from, and this could be a good way to put some faces (and hopefully sick dunks) to the names.

It would also possibly get some of the local media interested if we had a big turn out for future events etc. It could be an Annual Asun Preseason dunk contest... I know It would probably never happen because Asun Officials don't like cool ideas, but we can speculate right?
07-27-2007 06:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Goldfinger
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
RE: A-Sun Dunk Contest?
Because outside of ETSU and Wooten....The A-Sun is without flare.
07-27-2007 06:42 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Collinr01 Offline
Bench Warmer

Goldfinger Wrote:Because outside of ETSU and Wooten....The A-Sun is without flare.

It could still be fun, some little known players could come show what they've got.
07-27-2007 07:14 PM
Goldfinger
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
Collin,

I'll play along for a little bit. Where do you suggest putting such an event?
07-27-2007 07:35 PM
Collinr01 Offline
Bench Warmer

Goldfinger Wrote:Collin,

I'll play along for a little bit. Where do you suggest putting such an event?

It could be alternated through the A-Sun venues each year.. or maybe the Conference Champ could host it. Something like that would work.
07-27-2007 07:42 PM
kr983 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Kennesaw had a lot of redshirts last year that can really throw it down. I think it was reggie king who crushed a really nasty windmill dunk at the "midnight madness" event. Also, Keith can really throw down if he wants too. That dunk he had at the KSU v. ETSU game was really sick. Whipple also can drunk hardcore. I know ETSU has some guys too. Reed can throw down. I am sure the other schools could throw in a few guys.
07-27-2007 11:41 PM
Advertisement

Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I Root For: ETSU/Mid Majors
Great fingersnapping idea, but seriously, would this draw enough interest to make it an annual thing?
07-28-2007 12:46 AM
Nick M Offline
1st String

DonatorsDonators
Could Golden come back and throw the ally oop pass to Wooten? If I've seen it once, I've seen it a hundred times. I hope Zach or whoever our new PG will be gets the timing down. It'll make for an interesting show against some teams.

Dunk contest could work but it'd have to be in one of the duel school cities to pull any attendance then broadcast to the others. There's not an all-star or all-conference game in college sports that I know of, so bringing this event before that would be kind of backwards I believe.
07-28-2007 01:36 AM
Goldfinger
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
The "oop" from Golden to Wooten was charming so don't think for a second that I'm trying to put it down because I seriously am not. However, after witnessing the unbridled elegance of the Mister to Talford Express, I'm not sure Buc fans would care.
07-28-2007 02:42 AM
Collinr01 Offline
Bench Warmer

Well at first me and Kevin were talking about just a Dunk contest at KSU with just KSU players to get the kids around Kennesaw excited about the season and let them know we have some athletes etc.. which could easily happen, but I brought up the A-Sun contest to the forum because I think something like that to get other schools involved would be that much more fun. Do I believe it would ever happen and people would actually travel to see it? No shot.
07-28-2007 09:08 AM
Owlzfan84 Offline
Special Teams

it was King who did the windmill.

as for the dunk contest...i think it could work. Wooten would win, i saw him this summer when i was picking up my brother from Coach Ingles camp..and wooten just threw the ball in the air let it bounce caught the ball with one hand then did a 360 midair and threw it down flush. it was beautiful. and as much as i loved Ragsdale...i'm sorta glad he graduated..cuz last year those two missed dunks he had were just ugly.
07-28-2007 12:58 PM
Advertisement

the Big Camel Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
Ya, this could never happen.
07-28-2007 12:59 PM
Goldfinger
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
Kennesaw,

You need to have a midnight madness or mock Lipscombs hallapalooza (or whatever it was) by having it a few days into practice at a reasonable hour. Advertise that you are selling pizza really cheap or even make it free. College kids will come out for free or cheap food.

Although I should point out that this did not help Lipscombs lot in life last year one bit.
07-28-2007 02:18 PM
Nick M Offline
1st String

DonatorsDonators
We've had a midnight madness but based on our marketing for actual games you can guess what a non-advertised pre-season event looked like. :)
07-28-2007 04:24 PM
MercerFan Offline
Orange & Black

I Root For: The Bears

Donators
Goldfinger Wrote:Because outside of ETSU and Wooten....The A-Sun is without flare.

C'mon Gold! Mercer has the last entry into the national dunk contest. So that can't be completely true....
07-28-2007 04:34 PM
Goldfinger
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
Mercer,

Florence?
07-28-2007 04:37 PM
Advertisement

Owlzfan84 Offline
Special Teams

Nick M Wrote:We've had a midnight madness but based on our marketing for actual games you can guess what a non-advertised pre-season event looked like. :)

you could count the students there with 1 hand.

i mean i know when all the games and stuff are..and i didnt even know it was going on till i was walking to my car.
07-28-2007 05:23 PM
Goldfinger
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
This is why dealing with Kennesaw fans is frustrating, on the one hand you constantly boast about rising up to leave the rest of us in the dirt and on the other you can't sell Kennesaw Basketball to even your students. If everyone would just deal in reality we wouldn't have this bickering back and forth.
07-28-2007 05:27 PM
Nick M Offline
1st String

DonatorsDonators
Attendance has very little to do with potential of our basketball team. We've already admitted our problem, put system and people in place to boost attendance this season and create awareness. That is the reality.
07-28-2007 05:34 PM
Goldfinger
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
I will be awaiting anxiously to see if that happens
07-28-2007 05:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.