Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
CBS Sportsline/Big East home of Hottest Football Coaches
Big East home of hottest, most comfortable coaches
July 18, 2007
By Dennis Dodd
CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer
Tell Dennis your opinion!

NEWPORT, R.I. -- The contract is still in Jim Leavitt's office somewhere. Sign it and he would have been Alabama's coach in 2003.

"We're always going to keep it, in case anybody ever wonders," said the South Florida coach. "I was the guy who would have had the job and was going to lead them through the probation years."

Ray Rice is one of four legitimate Heisman contenders who call the Big East home. (AP)

Leavitt says that with a sense of pride and dread having seen his own future. Alabama came hard after the now 50-year-old former Missouri defensive back after Dennis Franchione left Tuscaloosa in 2002. Mike Shula (after Mike Price) eventually got the job, lasting four tumultuous seasons.

"I made the right decision," Leavitt said. "Hell, Shula, an Alabama guy who won 10 games, was let go."

In a cramped meeting room here during Big East media day, it's strange that Alabama is hanging so heavy in the air. Over in one corner West Virginia coach Rich Rodriguez is describing his brief fling with the Crimson Tide. There's Leavitt, who was courted again last year after Shula was let go.

Louisville quarterback Brian Brohm is asked how serious Nick Saban was about hiring his brother Jeff, the Cardinals quarterbacks coach at the time.

"He went down there," Brian said. "They offered him. They didn't want him to leave without signing."

The contract was left as blank as the one in Leavitt's office. A few years ago it would have been below Alabama to pick up the phone for the likes of Leavitt, Rodriguez or Brohm. Even if 'Bama did dial the digits, it would have been even more preposterous for any of the three to turn down the Tide.

Circumstances, reputations and winning percentages change. All in the Big East's favor, it seems. Now it makes perfect sense to build a career in the conference. By staying put, these coaches added to the Big East's -- and their own -- rep, which in any given year now includes three national championship contenders -- Rutgers, Louisville and West Virginia.

"I just sat there one day and laughed," said commissioner Mike Tranghese, giddy about his sudden fortune. "Could this have happened three years ago?"

No. In fact, the Big East wasn't happening three years ago. Stripped to the bone by ACC expansion, Tranghese put on a brave face and hoped. The league inched along until West Virginia beat Georgia in the 2006 Sugar Bowl. Then three teams went into last November undefeated. Louisville won the league, then the Orange Bowl. Rutgers won its first bowl game. West Virginia won 11, losing only to Louisville and South Florida, possibly the next power to rise in the Big East.

Predictably, Big East coaches became hot commodities. Bobby Petrino broke promises, but not many hearts, in Louisville by going to the NFL's Atlanta Falcons. Michigan State snatched up Cincinnati's Mark Dantonio.

However, Rutgers' Greg Schiano could have taken the Miami job without interviewing but stayed, signing a long extension through 2016 that will pay him $1.6 million per year. Leavitt had signed a long-term extension in November 2005. Despite that, he had to stamp out offseason fires after his name came up at Alabama (again) and Miami.

West Virginia boosters rallied after Alabama came after Rodriguez. He was extended through 2014 and bumped up to $2 million per year.

"From the day that happened I was looking for reasons to stay, not reasons to leave," Rodriguez said. "The demise of the Big East football conference was greatly exaggerated."

Among the hardware on display this week at The Hotel Viking were five bowl trophies, all won by Big East teams during a national-best 5-0 postseason run.

Among the talent on display was a fairly complete Heisman frontrunner list -- in one room. How many conferences -- ever -- could boast of having four serious contenders going into a season -- West Virginia's Steve Slaton and Patrick White, Rutgers' Ray Rice and Brohm?

It's not just an Alabama thing. Two years ago in the same room, Schiano was fielding questions about his job security. In 24 months he became the toast of his profession, winning the Eddie Robinson Award as coach of the year. Both he and offensive coordinator John McNulty turned down Miami.

Rodriguez was practically announced as the Alabama coach. A couple of outlets reported in early December that he had "agreed in principle" to a monster deal. Two days later Rodriguez stood before his team and announced he was staying put in a state that he lovingly says has more deer stands than rooftops.

"I have a bunch of friends that go to Alabama, they were all calling and bragging, 'We got your coach,'" Mountaineers quarterback Patrick White said.

When asked if he was surprised his coach turned down Alabama, White smirked.

"But we're West Virginia," he said. "Who is Alabama? I'm not an Alabama fan, never will be."

That's kind of the vibe in the Big East right now. It's not a bad place to be -- for a while or for good.

Rodriguez glimpsed his future in December. Pulling into the parking lot after a trip to Jacksonville for a Gator Bowl press conference, Rodriguez was confronted by a Birmingham reporter. According the coach, the reporter had staked him out for a couple of days and needed a quote on his interest in the Alabama job.

"No comment," Rodriguez said.

So much for intrepid reporting. But it was a window into what awaited him in Tuscaloosa. 'Bama eventually got their $4 million man, but Rodriguez got his peace of mind.

"A school with that much tradition and, uh, it's um, it's quite, uh, I guess, exciting at times," Rodriguez said, choosing his words carefully.

Maybe those coaches owe thank you cards to Alabama and Miami. In the midst of trying to snatch them away, along came raises and security. And maybe those schools didn't realize how the landscape had changed around them.

'Bama and Miami aren't the powerhouses of old. There is speculation that Schiano eventually will replace Joe Paterno at Penn State. Could he have done that if he went to Miami? Rodriguez is a good old boy from Grant Town, W.V., who is seemingly content with retiring at Morgantown.

Who wouldn't want to live and win in Tampa? Leavitt is the only coach the Bulls have had in their decade in Division I-A.

"You've got to be careful about the big picture," Leavitt said, "not just take a job because of money or ego. I never felt comfortable about it. Kansas State offered me a lot more money than Alabama (after the 2005 season). I'm telling you I would have been one of the highest paid guys out there."

But Leavitt, a St. Petersburg native, liked his players, bosses and being around his parents, who are both in their 80s. And running a program that is just now tapping its potential. The Bulls upset West Virginia last year after knocking off Louisville in 2005.

Ironically, Leavitt could take the Bulls higher with a couple of former Alabama players. Freshman running back Mike Ford is on the roster. He was an Alabama signee who didn't qualify, then was re-recruited by Leavitt. 'Bama freshman back Jamar Taylor was granted his release to transfer last week. Taylor had been recruited by South Florida and might end up on campus immediately if an NCAA transfer waiver is granted.

"I never felt comfortable (at Alabama) because I never felt like I was the guy," Leavitt said. "There's a lot of things that are going on in the Big East that are interesting."

Just ask their well-heeled coaches. Over lunch, and make sure they pick up the check.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegefootbal...y/10260748
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2007 11:11 AM by Maize.)
07-19-2007 11:03 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: CBS Sportsline/Big East home of Hottest Football Coaches
I'm surprised Brian Kelly's name wasn't mentioned. He was one of the hottest young coaches out there and had three BCS schools chasing him (Michigan State, Iowa State, Cincinnati).
07-19-2007 04:07 PM
Find all posts by this user
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
RE: CBS Sportsline/Big East home of Hottest Football Coaches
He wasn't a BEast coach until after the fact, stupid. That's why. 01-wingedeagle
07-19-2007 05:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.