Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Coach Kelly rips into Cincy media (or lack thereof)
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
Coach Kelly rips into Cincy media (or lack thereof)
Bearcats coach Brian Kelly was disappointed by the absence of Cincinnati media outlets at the event.

Kelly used the gathering as a sounding board for his frustration. He regularly thanked other news outlets for coming over to talk to him, for giving his team coverage and for simply attending the Media Day.

The Bearcats coach went on to say, "I am still going to coach the team and we are still going to compete for a Big East title. But it is sad for the fans of Cincinnati to not have a legitimate, credible local media outlet. Our fans would be better served going to Rivals, Sporting News, or even the Boston Globe because they are credible sources who care enough about their product to be here."

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/conten...CID=692221
07-17-2007 06:44 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Fanatical Offline
lost in dreams of hops & barley

I Root For: South Park Cows
RE: Coach Kelly rips into Cincy media (or lack thereof)
me wonders how the media bloggers will cry about this one
07-17-2007 06:48 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
Who cares? They lost this battle by default. They failed to show up for the fight.
07-17-2007 07:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
Exactly bit. Kelly is a fighter. He's going to get the Cincinnati media's attention. This is reminding me so much of the Virginia Tech situation prior to Frank Beamer.
07-17-2007 07:33 PM
Hummell Offline
Banned

I Root For: East Carolina
The media would show up if the fans did. Why would the media waste their time with something that apparently no one cares about? I sure wouldn't.
07-17-2007 07:36 PM
Advertisement

Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
Yeah, right! Nobody cares. That's why the reporter's blog that tried to justify the situation received 149 replies: http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/cin...p#comments

Just keep up with your weak, misguided efforts to undermine the BE's selection of UC. It'll never do a damn bit of good 03-lmfao
07-17-2007 07:46 PM
Hummell Offline
Banned

BJUnklFkr Wrote:Yeah, right! Nobody cares. That's why the reporter's blog that tried to justify the situation received 149 replies: http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/cin...p#comments

Wow...149 replies from message board geeks.

BJUnklFkr Wrote:Just keep up with your weak, misguided efforts to undermine the BE's selection of UC. It'll never do a damn bit of good 03-lmfao
And I don't have to give any kind of effort, the attendance at the Cincy games speaks for itself. No one cares, thus no coverage.
07-17-2007 07:50 PM
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL
Frankly Hummell, the best way I can categorize your response is that it's a very lazy explanation. I say that because its a simple claim to make, but holds no water.

Does someone from the local paper attend media days for UAB, Houston, Rice, SMU, etc? Duke? Or many many non-BCS teams? All draw less than Cincy many, if not all years. Of course UC needs to get more than 20,000 to games, but that is no excuse for a local paper to not attend media days.

The Post really does care about potential costs of $800 to send someone to R.I. The paper is closing its doors in 5 months after seeing its subscriber list drop from 100,000 in 1990, to 56,000 by 2000, and down to less than 29,000 this year. Time to close, see ya.

As for the Enquirer....there is absolutely no excuse. Its simply very poor journalism and an even poorer business decision. A paper with a daily circulation of 188,000 and a Sunday circulation of 283,000 can't spend $800 and then forces a nobody from the bottom of their sports totem poll to claim on his blog that there's no reason worth going? Pitiful. Any real paper is there.
07-17-2007 08:02 PM
Hummell Offline
Banned

I guess it was lazy, which is understandable. I don't care enough to try to research some silly statistics to generate some spin. The fact of the matter is I know Cincy's fanbase sucks, from an attendance perspective. I guess the Cincy papers ask themselves, "should we spend money on something that no one cares about?"....I guess the answer was no. That is the only logical explanation for not sending someone to media day. End of story.
(This post was last modified: 07-17-2007 08:23 PM by Hummell.)
07-17-2007 08:23 PM
Advertisement

bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

News flash Hummell. Cincinnati is in the Big East conference. ECU is not (were they ever even considered, at any time?). Cincinnati has a lot more to offer than ECU and that is why they are in.

Great post CollegeCard.
07-17-2007 08:24 PM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

Hummell Wrote:I guess it was lazy, which is understandable. I don't care enough to try to research some silly statistics to generate some spin. The fact of the matter is I know Cincy's fanbase sucks, from an attendance perspective. I guess the Cincy papers ask themselves, "should we spend money on something that no one cares about?"....I guess the answer was no. That is the only logical explanation for not sending someone to media day. End of story.

An average over 20,000 is hardly "no one cares about". In any event - we don't have to justify our inclusion in the Big East at your expense. You are just jealous that UC is in a better conference than ECU is.

If ECU had more to offer than a once proud football program with good attendance maybe they would have been considered.
07-17-2007 08:27 PM
Hummell Offline
Banned

I honestly am not posting this because of any type of perceived jealousy of Cincy...I'm just telling it like it is.

Let me ask you this, if Cincy averaged 50,000 fans every single Saturday and during college football season the town was splattered with Bearcat fever (shirts, hats, stickers, booster club signs on establishments), I feel strongly that there would've been someone from a Cincy paper at the media day. But, that's not the case with Cincy at this time. There is very little excitement and the school gets smothered by the city that surrounds it. I'm sorry if that hurts your feelings, but that is the only explanation for not having anyone there from your home city to report on your football program.

If there is another reasonable excuse, I'm all ears at this point.
(This post was last modified: 07-17-2007 08:34 PM by Hummell.)
07-17-2007 08:31 PM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

Hummell Wrote:I honestly am not posting this because of any type of perceived jealousy of Cincy...I'm just telling it like it is.

Let me ask you this, if Cincy averaged 50,000 fans every single Saturday and during college football season the town was splattered with Bearcat fever (shirts, hats, stickers, booster club signs on establishments), I feel strongly that there would've been someone from a Cincy paper at the media day. But, that's not the case with Cincy at this time. There is very little excitement and the school gets smothered by the city that surrounds it. I'm sorry if that hurts your feelings, but that is the only explanation for not having anyone there from your home city to report on your football program.

If there is another reasonable excuse, I'm all ears at this point.

Why should you care about UC and their media? And actually there is a lot of excitement this year.

My feelings are not hurt. I'm upset that our local papers did not attend this event.
07-17-2007 08:39 PM
Advertisement

CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL
Hummell Wrote:I guess it was lazy, which is understandable. I don't care enough to try to research some silly statistics to generate some spin. The fact of the matter is I know Cincy's fanbase sucks, from an attendance perspective. I guess the Cincy papers ask themselves, "should we spend money on something that no one cares about?"....I guess the answer was no. That is the only logical explanation for not sending someone to media day. End of story.

No research needed, all the above listed numbers were in a direct link posted earlier today on this board by a Bearcat fan.

As for end of story, its end of story for you. As I said, lazy fits here. You apparantely have no response to the comparison of many schools with lesser attendance having someone attend.
07-17-2007 08:48 PM
Hummell Offline
Banned

CollegeCard Wrote:

No research needed, all the above listed numbers were in a direct link posted earlier today on this board by a Bearcat fan.

As for end of story, its end of story for you. As I said, lazy fits here. You apparantely have no response to the comparison of many schools with lesser attendance having someone attend.

Well, my explanation in those specific cases would be that the newspapers asked themselves the question, "should we spend money on something that no one cares about?"...and they answered, yes.
07-17-2007 08:50 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

Hummell Wrote:I honestly am not posting this because of any type of perceived jealousy of Cincy...

Sorry Hummell, I call BULLSH!T. I'd conservatively estimate that over half your posts on here over the last three years consist of your commentary that insinuates that UC should not have been included in the BE reshuffle, at least before your beloved Pirates; either that or posts which link up to articles from Huntington or Bonesville that suggest as much.
07-17-2007 09:38 PM
shocknawe Offline
Banned

I Root For: The Bearcats
BJUnklFkr Wrote:
Hummell Wrote:I honestly am not posting this because of any type of perceived jealousy of Cincy...

Sorry Hummell, I call BULLSH!T. I'd conservatively estimate that over half your posts on here over the last three years consist of your commentary that insinuates that UC should not have been included in the BE reshuffle, at least before your beloved Pirates; either that or posts which link up to articles from Huntington or Bonesville that suggest as much.
BJ- ECU has been a perrenial tier 4 university(with an occasional showing in tier 3). Skip Holtz wanted the UC job and cincy turned him down. I think the last time we played ECU in cincy wasn't the score 40-3? ECU will never be in a BCS conference and UC is. God i love being in a BCS conference.
07-17-2007 10:06 PM
Advertisement

Hummell Offline
Banned

03-lmfao
07-17-2007 10:22 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

Hummell Wrote:03-lmfao

Probably the best one of your posts here.
07-17-2007 10:25 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
03-nutkick Take it to the smacl board, ECU fan! 04-rock
07-17-2007 10:27 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.