Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
RIVARIES
cardtopper Offline
1st String

I Root For: LOUISVILLE
RIVARIES
Just curious....which schools in the Big East have the longest rivary or have played the most games against each other (basketball in particular, but football as well)? Bet the front office doesn't even think about that sort of thing when scheduling.
07-15-2007 02:51 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
RE: RIVARIES
I don't know. I'd bet Pitt-WVU is among the oldest. But I don't know about anyone else. 03-confused
07-15-2007 02:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
DFW HOYA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
Georgetown has played both St. John's and Seton Hall 89 times in basketball each since 1909. Longest football rivalry is Fordham (51 games since 1890).

I'd add ND-DePaul into the longtime rivalries section, esp. in the Ray Meyer days. Meyer was an ND grad and a star on its teams in the late 1930's.
(This post was last modified: 07-15-2007 03:16 PM by DFW HOYA.)
07-15-2007 03:04 PM
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL
Louisville has played Cincinnati 89 times in basketball since 1921.

Cincy is also the longest running football rival, but we haven't played with near the regularity over the whole length of the series. We've played the Bearcats 47 times since 1922. However, we've played every single year since 1966, with the exception of 1993-1995.
07-15-2007 03:13 PM
Advertisement

Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
Quote:Just curious....which schools in the Big East have the longest rivary or have played the most games against each other (basketball in particular, but football as well)?

-- The first bball meeting between WVU and Pitt took place in 1903. In fact, WVUs first bball game ever was against Pitt, although in those days the instiution now known as Pitt was called W.U.P. Since then the two schools have played 173 games against one another with West Virginia holding a 92-81 edge

-- Also for the record the 100th football meeting between WVU and Pitt will be this fall in Morgantown.

-- This is without question the best rivalry when all sports are considered in the Big East and probably in the Eastern region (Ivy league and army/navy no longer compete at a high level). If you throw Penn St in the mix the three schools have a ton of history together going back to the dawn of college sports

Jackson
(This post was last modified: 07-15-2007 06:47 PM by Jackson1011.)
07-15-2007 06:44 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
04-rock
07-15-2007 07:58 PM
OSUofL Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
Pitt and Cusejuice have played 62 times, Cuse and WVU have played 54 times, and Louisville has played Cinci 46 times
07-15-2007 08:42 PM
Advertisement

cardtopper Offline
1st String

I Root For: LOUISVILLE
Jackson1011 Wrote:
Quote:Just curious....which schools in the Big East have the longest rivary or have played the most games against each other (basketball in particular, but football as well)?

-- The first bball meeting between WVU and Pitt took place in 1903. In fact, WVUs first bball game ever was against Pitt, although in those days the instiution now known as Pitt was called W.U.P. Since then the two schools have played 173 games against one another with West Virginia holding a 92-81 edge

-- Also for the record the 100th football meeting between WVU and Pitt will be this fall in Morgantown.

-- This is without question the best rivalry when all sports are considered in the Big East and probably in the Eastern region (Ivy league and army/navy no longer compete at a high level). If you throw Penn St in the mix the three schools have a ton of history together going back to the dawn of college sports

Jackson

Just curious, give a little more history about the associations Pitt and WVU have had as far as conference affiliations or other ways they had such a long and continuous rivary. I find it interesting as well as other teams' histories. Don't forget Eastern sports is as new to some of us as your knowledge of our traditions and histories are to some of you.
07-15-2007 09:25 PM
Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Pitt

Donators
cardtopper Wrote:Just curious, give a little more history about the associations Pitt and WVU have had as far as conference affiliations or other ways they had such a long and continuous rivary. I find it interesting as well as other teams' histories. Don't forget Eastern sports is as new to some of us as your knowledge of our traditions and histories are to some of you.

Pitt and WVU are only about 88 miles apart. WVU I believe was in the old Southern Conference before becoming an Indy. Pitt was an FB Indy until they joined the BE in the early 90's. BB wise Pitt and WVU were in the Eastern 8 together prior to Pitt's entry into the BE in 1982. Because of their proximity, the two schools are the most common opponent for each other in FB (99 games). In BB WVU (173 games) is easily Pitt's most common opponent, followed by PSU (145), Carnegie Mellon (124),and Syracuse (95).

In FB, PSU (94) is Pitt's second most common opponent, although they won't play us again until JoePa kicks the bucket. Then comes ND (63) and Syracuse (62).
(This post was last modified: 07-15-2007 10:52 PM by Shannon Panther.)
07-15-2007 10:31 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
cardtopper Wrote:
Jackson1011 Wrote:

Jackson

Just curious, give a little more history about the associations Pitt and WVU have had as far as conference affiliations or other ways they had such a long and continuous rivary. I find it interesting as well as other teams' histories. Don't forget Eastern sports is as new to some of us as your knowledge of our traditions and histories are to some of you.

-- The only other all sports conference affliation WVU was apart of prior to the Big East was the old Southern Conference. The Mountaineers were apart of the league probably from the mid 1950s to the late 1960s. When WVU joined, the Southern conference included a lot of smaller southern schools, but also the orginal ACC schools. When the ACC formed, WVU was left in a conference with the likes of Va Tech, Richmond, VMI, Davidson etc. After WVUs failed attempts to get into the ACC (which is a topic for another thread), the Moutaineers returned to the East full time. However, while WVU was going though this experiment in the south, they still played Pitt, Penn St and Syracuse in football and still had the Panthers and Nits on the slate in hoops

In terms of comparisn....WVU has played Penn St in hoops 119 times, George Washington 93 times, Duquesene 82 times, and Virgina Tech 75 times

I don't have the football numbers in front of me, but I think Penn St is still #2 on WVUs all time played list even though the two schools haven't played since 1992

The sad thing about all of this is Pitt, PSU, West Virginia and Syracuse would have formed a great foundation for a league because the four have suce a history together. It would have been something akin to what the old SEC schools have in terms of playing each other for ever

In case your interested....the link has football highlights of the 1975 Pitt/WVU game....Johnny Majors vs Bobby Bowden..
http://www.msnsportsnet.com/video.cfm?video=333

Jackson
(This post was last modified: 07-16-2007 09:03 AM by Jackson1011.)
07-16-2007 09:00 AM
Advertisement

MU88 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
DFW HOYA Wrote:Georgetown has played both St. John's and Seton Hall 89 times in basketball each since 1909. Longest football rivalry is Fordham (51 games since 1890).

I'd add ND-DePaul into the longtime rivalries section, esp. in the Ray Meyer days. Meyer was an ND grad and a star on its teams in the late 1930's.

Marquette has played ND around 130 times, I believe. DePaul around 110, I think.
07-16-2007 03:15 PM
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

I Root For: SU, Ariz. St.
Most common opponent for the Big East football teams (I'll leave USF out because the program is so new). From CFBDataWarehouse.com:

Cincinnati - Miami (OH)
Connecticut - Rhode Island
Louisville - Cincinnati
Syracuse - Penn St.
Pittsburgh - W. Virginia (Penn St. is 2nd)
Rutgers - Princeton
W. Virginia - Pittsburgh

And since they were here for a while...

Boston College - Holy Cross
Virginia Tech - Virginia
Miami (FL) - Florida (by a couple games over FSU)
Temple - Bucknell
07-16-2007 03:40 PM
Tigeer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UoM & WVU
Jackson1011 Wrote:

Jackson

I always wonder if PSU saw WVU as a rival; the only thing that tells me yes is seeing Paterno ***** and moan when WVU supposedly ran the score up on them with Major Harris. Boo, Hoo; wonder how many times he did likewise.
(This post was last modified: 07-18-2007 12:37 PM by Tigeer.)
07-18-2007 12:36 PM
aTxTIGER Offline
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators
cardtopper Wrote:Just curious....which schools in the Big East have the longest rivary or have played the most games against each other (basketball in particular, but football as well)? Bet the front office doesn't even think about that sort of thing when scheduling.

not a big east team, but...

FOOTBALL
Southern Miss- 57
Ole Miss- 56
Arkansas State- 53
Mississippi State- 42
Louisville- 40

Other Big east teams
Cincy- 30
USF- 4
39-35 vs. Big East teams

BASKETBALL
Louisville- 85
Southern Miss- 76
Cincy- 65
Murray State- 60
Arkansas State & St. Louis- 57

Other Big east schools
DePaul- 26
Georgetown- 7
Marquette- 26
Pittsburgh- 2
Providence- 5
Seton Hall- 3
USF- 21
Syracuse- 2
Villanova- 12
West Virginia- 2
121-135 record vs. Big East
07-18-2007 02:05 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.