bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
Huggins on his travels, roster and coming home
Huggins on his travels, roster and coming home
May 31, 2007
By Mitch Vingle - Sports Editor

http://wvgazette.com/section/Sports/Mitc...2007053030

MORGANTOWN - New West Virginia basketball coach Bob Huggins leaned back in the restaurant booth for a breather.

He’d driven from Cleveland, where he was scheduled to huddle with LeBron James’ people. He’d made some rounds in Mountaineer Land. Then it was back to Cleveland for the NBA’s Eastern Conference finals.

Major college coaches aren’t frequent fliers. They’re incessant. Today, Huggins and wife June - as well as the whole WVU athletic contingent - will be in Charleston for the 25th WVU Classic at Berry Hills. It’s one of 11 Mountaineer Athletic Club stops over May and June ranging from Shepherdstown to Houston.

“Just running around trying to see people,’’ Huggins said. “Any time you make a change you have to go reacquaint yourself with different people and areas. Really I’m just trying to get out and meet the people in the state of West Virginia who are so good to the Mountaineer athletic program.’’

He paused.

“Then just doing my normal stuff.’’

Yes, there’s more.

“I think I’ve done six Nike clinics,’’ Huggins said. “That’s what I’ve been doing on weekends. That and speaking [engagements].’’

There’s also the basketball team he coaches. And a little thing called recruiting.

“This is a dead period, so we can’t really get out and recruit,’’ Huggins said. “We can’t talk to high school coaches or prospects. But you don’t ever really stop. Now we’re trying to figure out who is playing where. Which players are with the Nike group, the Reebok group, the adidas group, where they’re going to be, whether they’re going to be with the top-100 groups of each. If they’re not, where their AAU groups are going to be. You try to get organized for July.’’

When things really get busy.

When Huggins first arrived at WVU a little over a month ago, immediate speculation was he’d get out the broom in order to tailor the Mountaineers to his style of play.

He ended that speculation, though, pointing to his WVU playing days that included a coaching change. And today 12 of the 13 on the roster remain John Beilein recruits.

“I just don’t [jettison players],’’ Huggins said. “I’ve never done that. You can go look everywhere I’ve ever been.

“Now, certainly, after we get going, some kids say, ‘I can’t play like this,’ or ‘This is too hard,’ or whatever and leave on their own. But I don’t ever chase anybody away.’’

It’s said you can’t go home again. Huggins, though, seems to be disproving that theory. He said he’s seen tons of familiar faces, including close friend and ex-teammate Warren Baker, since returning to West Virginia.

“A bunch,’’ said the coach. “Growing up here and going to school here I met a lot of people at a real early age and stay in close contact with them. Bake and I have stayed close the whole way through. I jokingly tell him I should claim him on my income tax.

“This is an amazing place. It’s like a time warp - only everybody has aged. I look at people and say, ‘Man, you’re a lot older than what I remember.’ Then I look in the mirror and say, ‘Wow, so am I.’

“It’s a testament to what a wonderful place it is. People don’t want to go anywhere else. I’ve been in a lot of places where people can’t wait to get out. Here, people love it and don’t want to go.’’

Huggins had more than business interests in Cleveland. One of his former Cincinnati players, Jason Maxiell, is making a name for himself in the Eastern finals as a Detroit forward.

The 26th pick in the 2005 draft, Maxiell had a breakout game with 15 points and six rebounds in Game 2 of the series. He had 12 points in Game 1 of the Chicago series.

“Max is a great kid,’’ Huggins said. “And [although listed as 6-foot-7] he’s no bigger than 6-51/2. We measured him every year when he was at Cincinnati. Six-foot-51/2. And to play power forward in the NBA at that size, to do what he does - block shots and change shots and rebound the ball - tells you what a great kid he is.

“He’s one of the few guys I’ve ever had who came in on Day 1 not knowing how to work hard, look around, see everyone else and say, ‘I guess that’s what I’m supposed to do.’ I never had to rant and rave with him.’’

Huggins, by the way, has coached a jaw-dropping 18 NBA players.

To contact sports editor Mitch Vingle, send e-mail to mitchvingle@wvgazette.com or call (304) 348-4827.
05-31-2007 08:40 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.