Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Keith Ellison (followup from "Congressional Islamophobi
lauramac Offline

I Root For: ,
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesBlazerTalk AwardNew Orleans BowlCrappiesDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
Keith Ellison (followup from "Congressional Islamophobi
Ellison, the Representative-Elect from Minnesota, will use Thomas Jefferson's copy of the Koran for his swearing-in. They're bringing it over from the Library of Congress for the ceremony.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070104/ap_o...on_quran_9[/quote]
01-04-2007 03:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ShoreBuc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU
Re: Keith Ellison (followup from "Congressional Islamop
lauramac Wrote:Ellison, the Representative-Elect from Minnesota, will use Thomas Jefferson's copy of the Koran for his swearing-in. They're bringing it over from the Library of Congress for the ceremony.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070104/ap_o...on_quran_9
[/quote]

I wonder if anybody sees the irony of using the Koran of Thomas Jefferson?? He was the first American President to wage war against muslims and militant Islam. Even back then we appeased terrorism with bribes to find out only war worked on these wackos.

Some things never change....

Several muslim countries along the North African coast had established the tradition of plundering the ships of European and American merchants in the western Mediterranean and eastern Atlantic, capturing the crews and then demanding ransom from the respective governments for their release. In a joint message to their superiors in Congress, Adams and Jefferson described the audacity of these terrorist attacks, pirates leaping onto defenseless ships with daggers clenched in their teeth. They had asked the ambassador from Tripoli, Adams and Jefferson explained, on what grounds these outrageous acts of unbridled savagery could be justified: "The Ambassador answered us that it was founded on the laws of the prophet, that it was written in their koran, that all nations who should not have acknowledged their [islams] authority were sinners, that it was their right and duty to make war upon them wherever they could be found, and to make slaves of all they could take as prisoners...."

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1125104/posts
01-04-2007 04:21 PM
Bourgeois_Rage Away
That guy!

I Root For: UC & Bushmills
Folding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGDonatorsDonators

Link

Quote:By all means let Keith Ellison swear in using Jefferson's Koran, maybe afterwards he can look up the passages that discuss smiting the infidels at the neck and make great slaughter among them. Probably underlined.

Yup, that right. Jefferson was a terrorist?
01-04-2007 04:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
Re: Keith Ellison (followup from "Congressional Islamop
ShoreBuc Wrote:
lauramac Wrote:Ellison, the Representative-Elect from Minnesota, will use Thomas Jefferson's copy of the Koran for his swearing-in. They're bringing it over from the Library of Congress for the ceremony.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070104/ap_o...on_quran_9

I wonder if anybody sees the irony of using the Koran of Thomas Jefferson?? He was the first American President to wage war against muslims and militant Islam. Even back then we appeased terrorism with bribes to find out only war worked on these wackos.

Some things never change....

Several muslim countries along the North African coast had established the tradition of plundering the ships of European and American merchants in the western Mediterranean and eastern Atlantic, capturing the crews and then demanding ransom from the respective governments for their release. In a joint message to their superiors in Congress, Adams and Jefferson described the audacity of these terrorist attacks, pirates leaping onto defenseless ships with daggers clenched in their teeth. They had asked the ambassador from Tripoli, Adams and Jefferson explained, on what grounds these outrageous acts of unbridled savagery could be justified: "The Ambassador answered us that it was founded on the laws of the prophet, that it was written in their koran, that all nations who should not have acknowledged their [islams] authority were sinners, that it was their right and duty to make war upon them wherever they could be found, and to make slaves of all they could take as prisoners...."

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1125104/posts[/quote]

"...to the shores of Tripoli, we will fight our nation's battles..."
01-04-2007 04:35 PM
Bourgeois_Rage Away
That guy!

Another interesting thing about the Barbary Wars.

Quote: Art. 11. As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquillity, of Mussulmen; and, as the said States never entered into any war, or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no pretext arising from religious opinions, shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.

Yet here we are today with people claiming the exact opposite when someone wants to put his hand on a Koran while swearing into office.
01-04-2007 04:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ShoreBuc Offline
Heisman

Bourgeois_Rage Wrote:Another interesting thing about the Barbary Wars.

Quote: Art. 11. As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquillity, of Mussulmen; and, as the said States never entered into any war, or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no pretext arising from religious opinions, shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.

Yet here we are today with people claiming the exact opposite when someone wants to put his hand on a Koran while swearing into office.

Another great letter from Jefferson. Over 200yrs later and I still agree with the advise he gave his nephew when it comes to religion.

http://www.stephenjaygould.org/ctrl/jefferson_carr.html
01-04-2007 05:00 PM
blah Offline
Just doing the splits

I Root For: Stretching

CrappiesBlazerTalk AwardDonatorsSkunkworksSurvivor Runner-up

To be honest with you, I would rather have the guy swear on the Koran, a book in which he believes. I would much rather have someone swear a pledge on something they believe in than something they don't. How seriously would you take an oath that you made on the Koran or on the Harry Potter book, if you don't believe in it? I would venture to say not very much.
01-04-2007 05:32 PM
Advertisement

ShoreBuc Offline
Heisman

blah Wrote:To be honest with you, I would rather have the guy swear on the Koran, a book in which he believes. I would much rather have someone swear a pledge on something they believe in than something they don't. How seriously would you take an oath that you made on the Koran or on the Harry Potter book, if you don't believe in it? I would venture to say not very much.

Not much difference between the Harry Potter book and the Koran as far as reality goes. I will say the Harry Potter book is definitely written better and it would of been more appropriate for the main character of Harry Potter to marry a 6yr old as opposed to the main character in the Koran.
01-04-2007 06:43 PM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

blah Wrote:To be honest with you, I would rather have the guy swear on the Koran, a book in which he believes. I would much rather have someone swear a pledge on something they believe in than something they don't. How seriously would you take an oath that you made on the Koran or on the Harry Potter book, if you don't believe in it? I would venture to say not very much.

I said this same thing on another site.
01-04-2007 06:55 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

blah Offline
Just doing the splits

I Root For: Stretching

CrappiesBlazerTalk AwardDonatorsSkunkworksSurvivor Runner-up

ShoreBuc Wrote:

Not much difference between the Harry Potter book and the Koran as far as reality goes. I will say the Harry Potter book is definitely written better and it would of been more appropriate for the main character of Harry Potter to marry a 6yr old as opposed to the main character in the Koran.

That's what I was getting at. If you feel that way about the Koran, maybe he feels that way about the Bible. If that is the case, I think I would rather have him swear on the Koran.

The decision to elect someone who prefers the Koran to the Bible is moot at this point and is something the voters should have considered before casting their ballots.
01-04-2007 07:06 PM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

blah Wrote:The decision to elect someone who prefers the Koran to the Bible is moot at this point and is something the voters should have considered before casting their ballots.

Booyah. I prefer him to choose a Koran, something he reveres, over something he doesn't.
01-04-2007 07:17 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Bourgeois_Rage Away
That guy!

Shore, thanks for that link.

Kev, and blah. I agree with that 100%. If you believe that you will be punished by your God if you break a promise to your God, then I want you promising to your God, not one you don't believe in. If your God does not exist and you go to heck, then that is your punishment. But while you are alive I want you thinking that you will be punished if you break your promise.
01-05-2007 09:01 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.