Astros get: Jason Jennings, Miguel Asencio
Rockies get: Taylor Buchholz, Jason Hirsh, Willy Tavaras
12-12-2006 07:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JFlight21 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati

Damn, Hirsh, Taveras and Bucholtz?? They got ripped off imo even though I think Hirsh was severely overrated.
12-12-2006 07:08 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies

ripped off? the rockies got ripped off. Jennings is a damn good pitcher. those 3 guys vary from crap, to mediocre.
12-12-2006 07:30 PM
JFlight21 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati

Who are the 'stros going to put in center field? They essentially traded two of their starters and there center fielder/leadoff man for a slighty above average pitcher. IMO it doesn't add up to a good deal.
12-12-2006 07:52 PM
Uzian Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Houston

my guess would be that they play Burke in center field this year and bat leadoff. Then move him to 2nd base next year after Biggio retires
12-12-2006 07:56 PM
Advertisement

flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies

it's not like they were going anywhere this year. They got rid of two awful pitchers and a CF with a non existent OBP to get a very good 15 win caliber pitcher.
12-12-2006 09:02 PM
GDawgs88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Crappies

Horrible trade for the Astros. Hirsh is a stud and Buchholz could be a solid middle of the rotation starter. Not to mention they got rid of their one legitimate speed threat. Jennings is good, but they gave up too much.
12-12-2006 11:00 PM
GDawgs88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Crappies

flyingswoosh Wrote:They got rid of two awful pitchers
Awful? Based on their limited major league opportunities? Give them a chance. Hirsh really has a good arm.
12-12-2006 11:02 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies

GDawgs88 Wrote:
flyingswoosh Wrote:They got rid of two awful pitchers
Awful? Based on their limited major league opportunities? Give them a chance. Hirsh really has a good arm.

hirsh has an awful arm, have you ever seen him pitch? i saw him live and i was less than impressed. his fastball has nothing and his breaking stuff is below average. bucholz is a #5 at best and taveras can be replaced. jennings can be a #2 and he's only 28. The one thing i didn't recognize is, this is jennings walk year, so the astros might lose him.
12-13-2006 09:44 AM
Advertisement

GDawgs88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Crappies

flyingswoosh Wrote:hirsh has an awful arm, have you ever seen him pitch? i saw him live and i was less than impressed. his fastball has nothing and his breaking stuff is below average.
He throws in the 91-94 range so I wouldn't say he's got nothing on his fastball. His curveball is really good. The scouts rave about it. And he's got a great minor league pedigree.
12-13-2006 03:21 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies

GDawgs88 Wrote:
flyingswoosh Wrote:hirsh has an awful arm, have you ever seen him pitch? i saw him live and i was less than impressed. his fastball has nothing and his breaking stuff is below average.
He throws in the 91-94 range so I wouldn't say he's got nothing on his fastball. His curveball is really good. The scouts rave about it. And he's got a great minor league pedigree.

first off, he doesn't throw that hard, secondly the scouts are wrong about his curve, it's less than special.
12-13-2006 05:18 PM
Terpy Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Ok, so Im really going to depend on your opinion over those who get paid to scout baseball. 03-melodramatic
12-13-2006 05:38 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies

Terpy Wrote:Ok, so Im really going to depend on your opinion over those who get paid to scout baseball. 03-melodramatic

oh yeah, i forgot, scouts are never wrong 03-melodramatic

i remember when the scouts said jesse foppert threw mid to upper 90's. when the giants called him up, he was throwing 92 at best. So excuse me if i don't always believe the scouts. BTW, 91-92, is not throwing hard. Everyone throws that nowadays.
12-13-2006 06:41 PM
Advertisement

Terpy Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Well, actually I was talking about your comment about his curve, which is much more subjective then velocity on a fastball, which is quantitative.
12-13-2006 07:01 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies

Terpy Wrote:Well, actually I was talking about your comment about his curve, which is much more subjective then velocity on a fastball, which is quantitative.

oh, well yeah i could be wrong. But my dad and i were behind home plate, which is a good spot to be, in order to evaluate a righty's curve.
12-13-2006 07:42 PM
GDawgs88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Crappies

flyingswoosh Wrote:BTW, 91-92, is not throwing hard. Everyone throws that nowadays.
Actually I've heard that he tops out at 94.
12-14-2006 12:35 AM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies

GDawgs88 Wrote:
flyingswoosh Wrote:BTW, 91-92, is not throwing hard. Everyone throws that nowadays.

when they say that, it means they think he hit 94 once in a game.
12-14-2006 09:21 AM
Advertisement

Uzian Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Houston

I don't think there was a way the Astros could trade for a good starting pitcher without giving up Hirsh and Tavaras or Burke. So overall I think i'm happy about the trade. I know about a month the Rockies were interested in Burke for a Jennings deal and I am glad that did not happen.

I am going to see how it all plays out this season, but I am optimistic about the Astros this year.
12-14-2006 10:12 AM
GDawgs88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Crappies

flyingswoosh Wrote:
GDawgs88 Wrote:

when they say that, it means they think he hit 94 once in a game.
But he consistently hits 91-93, which I'll agree isn't that special, but it's not bad either like you said.
12-14-2006 01:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.