Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Iran asks the hard questions: Did the Holocaust happen?
Fanatical Offline
lost in dreams of hops & barley

I Root For: South Park Cows
Iran asks the hard questions: Did the Holocaust happen?
http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?c...2FShowFull
Iran to host Holocaust conference
By ASSOCIATED PRESS
TEHERAN, Iran

Iran's Foreign Ministry will hold a two-day conference next week to have what an Iranian official on Tuesday described as a scientific discussion of the evidence for the Holocaust.

Deputy Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mohammadi said that the two-day conference, scheduled for Dec. 10-11, will be attended by 67 foreign researchers from 30 countries, the Iran's official Islamic Republic News Agency reported.

The gathering, sponsored by the Foreign Ministry's Institute for Political and International Studies, was initiated by President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad who described the Holocaust as a "myth."

"The president simply asked whether an event called the Holocaust has actually taken place... No rational response was ever given to Ahmadinejad's questions," Mohammadi gave as the reason for holding the conference.

Mohammadi said the conference seeks to "provide an opportunity for scholars to offer their opinions in freedom."

Iran has repeatedly announced plans for the gathering, including during United Nations chief Kofi Annan's visit in September to Iran when he said that an exhibition of cartoons denying the Holocaust, on display then, promotes hatred.
The planned conference is yet another step in hard-line President Ahmadinejad's public campaign against Israel. Ahmadinejad has called for Israel to be "wiped off the map."

Mohammadi rejected any suggestion that the conference would support anti-Semitism, saying that was a "Western phenomenon." The proof, he said, was Iran's community of 25,000 Jews.

The deputy minister also said that a conference about Holocaust deniers would be held simultaneously in Germany, but he did not give further details and any plans for such an event could not be immediately confirmed.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I haven't seen a list of who is going to attend, but I guess this is a good thing. Though in all honesty I wouldn't be surprised if they come up with a conclusion that it was all blown out of proportion.
12-06-2006 07:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

eaglewing505 Offline
1st String

I Root For: USM

It just seems odd that they need conferences for stuff that happened in the 40's. I guess they'll be doing an examination of WWII in general to see if Axis powers were actually the instigators. 01-wingedeagle
12-06-2006 07:22 PM
Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonators
Re: Iran asks the hard questions: Did the Holocaust happen?
Quote:Mohammadi rejected any suggestion that the conference would support anti-Semitism, saying that was a "Western phenomenon."
Ugh. Simply asking the question reveals the agenda. I can see no good coming from this. What are the chances that the conference, IN IRAN OF ALL PLACES, agrees (or even comes close to agreeing) with "Western" conclusions?
12-06-2006 07:54 PM
Advertisement

T-Monay820 Offline
Get Rotor-vated!

I Root For: Duke, VPI

I can see the headline:

The existence of the holocaust, along with the Yeti, Bigfoot, and the Loch Ness monster (along with Ahmadinejad's brain) have been debated for decades. Experts have found no conclusive evidence any of these things exist, but there is some supportive findings. Still, many people hold out in hopes that perhaps, someday, we will uncover some hard data and finally put to rest the debate. 01-wingedeagle
12-06-2006 07:57 PM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
Fanatical Wrote:http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?c...2FShowFull
By ASSOCIATED PRESS
TEHERAN, Iran

Iran's Foreign Ministry will hold a two-day conference next week to have what an Iranian official on Tuesday described as a scientific discussion

A "scientific discussion"?

Evidence used for historical purposes typically is different from that used in science. That doesn't make either "bad", but it does mean they are appropriate for different scenarios and go through different evaluation criteria.

Using "scientific" evaluation criteria, one can easily dismiss historical fact. ( http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11057077/ )

This is an Orwellian use of language, it is a farce, and a complete slap in the face of western civilization. But once again, TPTB don't seem to get that this is a clash of civilizations.
12-07-2006 11:04 AM
Advertisement

ShoreBuc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU

I think space aliens came and abducted the 6million Jews from Europe and Hitler upon the advice of Joseph Goebbels quickly built the concentration camps so the Germans would get credit for the Jews disappearing.

What the Conference really should discuss is the historical ties between Nazism and todays radical Islam. That is a more fascinating subject.

http://www.tellthechildrenthetruth.com/
12-07-2006 01:42 PM
Ninerfan1 Offline
Habitual Line Stepper

I Root For: Charlotte
DrTorch Wrote:
Fanatical Wrote:http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?c...2FShowFull
By ASSOCIATED PRESS
TEHERAN, Iran

Iran's Foreign Ministry will hold a two-day conference next week to have what an Iranian official on Tuesday described as a scientific discussion

A "scientific discussion"?

Evidence used for historical purposes typically is different from that used in science. That doesn't make either "bad", but it does mean they are appropriate for different scenarios and go through different evaluation criteria.

Using "scientific" evaluation criteria, one can easily dismiss historical fact. ( http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11057077/ )

This is an Orwellian use of language, it is a farce, and a complete slap in the face of western civilization. But once again, TPTB don't seem to get that this is a clash of civilizations.

Nothing more needs to be said. 04-bow
12-07-2006 02:48 PM
Advertisement

NIUFAN Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

It would be nice if the US Air Force could air mail a little gift into the building where the conference is being held. 02-13-banana
12-11-2006 08:02 PM
Fanatical Offline
lost in dreams of hops & barley

I Root For: South Park Cows

so I just found this little tidbit on one of folks in this obviously fair discussion of history....

Ex-Klan Chief At Holocaust Conference
White Supremacist David Duke Is Among Speakers At Two-Day Meeting Hosted By Iran

Iran hosted Holocaust deniers from around the world on Monday in a conference debating whether the World War II genocide of Jews took place, a meeting that Israel's prime minister condemned as a "sick phenomenon."

The 67 participants from 30 countries included former U.S. Ku Klux Klan leader David Duke.

The New York Times reported that Duke, a white supremacist, was expected to claim that Germany built no gas chambers or extermination camps during World War II.

"Depicting Jews as the overwhelming victims of the Holocaust gave the moral high ground to the Allies as victors of the war and allowed Jews to establish a state on the occupied land of Palestine," Duke said, according to the summary of the paper he will deliver, the Times reported.

Duke told BBC cameras in Tehran that he is not a Holocaust denier.

"I'm a Holocaust questioner," he told the BBC. "But I'm here to defend freedom of speech."
12-11-2006 08:16 PM
Advertisement

Bourgeois_Rage Away
That guy!

I Root For: UC & Bushmills
Folding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGDonatorsDonators

Nice.

Yeah defend the freedom of speech in Iran.
12-12-2006 08:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bourgeois_Rage Away
That guy!

I Root For: UC & Bushmills
Folding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGDonatorsDonators

Whaaa...?

Quote:Members of an ultra Orthodox Jewish sect that staged nightly riots last month in Jerusalem to pressure the government into canceling a gay pride march were front and center this week at an Iranian government forum sitting side by side with holocaust deniers.

Ok, so you don't like gays. Fine, whatever. But you don't like them so much that you'll go to a conference that denies the Holocaust and wipe your people off the Earth? That's how much you hate homosexuality? Wow.

Quote:The Haredi delegation was given seats in the front row where the group with its traditional hats and long beards could not be missed by TV cameras. The group applauded when Ahmadinejad declared that Israel will one day be "wiped out" as the Soviet Union was.
12-15-2006 10:34 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.