Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Why Harry Potter is not allowed in my house!
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies
Why Harry Potter is not allowed in my house!
I saw this article on Christian Worldview Network, and it reminded me exactly why I don't let things like Harry Potter in my house.

[url=http://www.worldviewweekend.com/secure/cwnetwork/article.php?ArticleID=1074]What
09-14-2006 09:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

blah Offline
Just doing the splits

I Root For: Stretching

CrappiesBlazerTalk AwardDonatorsSkunkworksSurvivor Runner-up

Can I borrow your Ouija board?
09-14-2006 09:41 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators

If it isn't cool and fun don't you think the kids will quickly realize this?

Talk about over controlling, if my parents had done something like that I would have joined an athiest cult just to piss them off. You need to let your kids learn some things for themselves or they will never be able to critically think for themselves...
09-14-2006 10:12 AM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

Crappies

mlb Wrote:If it isn't cool and fun don't you think the kids will quickly realize this?

Talk about over controlling, if my parents had done something like that I would have joined an athiest cult just to piss them off. You need to let your kids learn some things for themselves or they will never be able to critically think for themselves...

Over Controlling?

Should I let my children play with hot irons? Should I let my children play with loaded guns? Should I let my toddler play by the pool without supervision?

Setting rules and standards are a parent's job, just like disciplining children for bad behaviour. I realize that by the world's standards, everything is OK, but I don't live my life by the world's standards. You may not see Harry Potter as dangerous, but I know that it is even more dangerous than the things I mentioned above. Those things can only cost you your life, but becoming a Wican can cost you for eternity.
09-14-2006 10:56 AM
Bourgeois_Rage Away
That guy!

I Root For: UC & Bushmills
Folding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGDonatorsDonators

Atheist cult mlb? That's a riot.

Graybear, if your kids get taken in by Harry Potter in your house (where I'm sure they get healthy doses of Christianity), don't you think you might be doing something wrong?
09-14-2006 10:59 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bourgeois_Rage Away
That guy!

Harry Potter's more dangerous than a loaded gun near a child? That's fantastic!

Edit:
Little Jimmy may have blown his head off with that shotgun, but at least he didn't read Harry Potter.
09-14-2006 11:00 AM
Advertisement

GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

Crappies

Bourgeois_Rage Wrote:Atheist cult mlb? That's a riot.

Graybear, if your kids get taken in by Harry Potter in your house (where I'm sure they get healthy doses of Christianity), don't you think you might be doing something wrong?

I see what you are saying, but if I am OK with Harry Potter in my house, how can I later tell them it's wrong? I refuse to allow the foothold. Friendship and acceptance of the world is a slap in the face to God.
09-14-2006 11:02 AM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

Crappies

Bourgeois_Rage Wrote:Harry Potter's more dangerous than a loaded gun near a child? That's fantastic!

Edit:
Little Jimmy may have blown his head off with that shotgun, but at least he didn't read Harry Potter.

Make sure you read all of what I posted. Of course, if you believe that you live once, and then you are nothing more than worm food, then you would not understand.

Also, I never said that it was OK to let kids play with loaded guns either. Way to spin your comments.
09-14-2006 11:05 AM
Bourgeois_Rage Away
That guy!

GrayBeard Wrote:Friendship and acceptance of the world is a slap in the face to God.

A world which he supposely created.
09-14-2006 11:05 AM
uhmump95 Offline
Race Pimp

I Root For: all my hoes!
Crappies

Graybeard,

would your children be allowed to read the Lord of the Rings Trilogy or The Chronicles on Narnia?

I have read all of the Harry Potters and basically in way or another the books rip off pieces of those two classics.

Since you seem to be opposed to the idea of "good witches" I would assume that Sleeping Beauty is off limits in your house as well.

I think you need to lighten up personally.
09-14-2006 11:06 AM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

Crappies

uhmump95 Wrote:Graybeard,

would your children be allowed to read the Lord of the Rings Trilogy or The Chronicles on Narnia?

I have read all of the Harry Potters and basically in way or another the books rip off pieces of those two classics.

Since you seem to be opposed to the idea of "good witches" I would assume that Sleeping Beauty is off limits in your house as well.

I think you need to lighten up personally.

To be quite honest with you, I have not made up my mind about those. I have read/watched LOTR, and I know that my kids have watched Chronicles of Narnia. I see the portrayal of Jesus in The Chronicles of Narnia, but I get lost in what is Biblical about LOTR. And as far as Sleeping Beauty, is that even around anymore?

So, guys back to the question, why do you think that more an more children are turning to Wicca?
09-14-2006 11:17 AM
Advertisement

fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame

Quote:So, guys back to the question, why do you think that more an more children are turning to Wicca?

b/c teenagers do stupid crap when they are teenagers. Were you very close to Christ as a teenager? I was not and most are not. Kids are dealing with many changes in their bodies and minds at that time. It is also a natural "rebelling" against your parents phase. Just keep trying to raise them in whatever denomination you are a part of, and your kids should be alright. You have every right to what is banned in your house.
09-14-2006 11:31 AM
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsDonators

GrayBeard Wrote:So, guys back to the question, why do you think that more an more children are turning to Wicca?

That article does a pretty good job of explaining it...

[i]Given the challenges of contemporary life, many teens are looking for direction. Young people are sincerely trying to make sense out of life and find a way to make it work. And many are looking for answers in the spiritual world. Many teens find belonging, purpose, and significance in Wicca.

The promise of personal power over others and the ability to control your own destiny seems irresistible to many teens. Wicca is revered for its concern for the environment and is seen by many as a female-friendly religion in contrast to a male-dominated Christianity. Since Christianity is often viewed as rigid and intolerant, many are drawn to the
09-14-2006 11:31 AM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
Re: Why Harry Potter is not allowed in my house!
[quote="GrayBeard"]I saw this article on Christian Worldview Network, and it reminded me exactly why I don't let things like Harry Potter in my house.

[url=http://www.worldviewweekend.com/secure/cwnetwork/article.php?ArticleID=1074]What
09-14-2006 11:48 AM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

Crappies
[quote="PirateTreasureNC"][quote="GrayBeard"]I saw this article on Christian Worldview Network, and it reminded me exactly why I don't let things like Harry Potter in my house.

09-14-2006 11:56 AM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
[quote="GrayBeard"][quote="PirateTreasureNC"][quote="GrayBeard"]I saw this article on Christian Worldview Network, and it reminded me exactly why I don't let things like Harry Potter in my house.

09-14-2006 12:13 PM
Advertisement

uhmump95 Offline
Race Pimp

I Root For: all my hoes!
Crappies

Having read the Harry Potter books, I have to say that Rowlings does not treat witchcraft as a religion at all. I really think you should read the first story before you start the grand conspiracy theory.
09-14-2006 12:19 PM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

Crappies

uhmump95 Wrote:Having read the Harry Potter books, I have to say that Rowlings does not treat witchcraft as a religion at all. I really think you should read the first story before you start the grand conspiracy theory.

How does that make sense at all? I should read a book that I know up front I don't agree with. Come on, Uhmump, that makes no sense what so ever.
09-14-2006 12:24 PM
blah Offline
Just doing the splits

I Root For: Stretching

CrappiesBlazerTalk AwardDonatorsSkunkworksSurvivor Runner-up

GrayBeard Wrote:
uhmump95 Wrote:Having read the Harry Potter books, I have to say that Rowlings does not treat witchcraft as a religion at all. I really think you should read the first story before you start the grand conspiracy theory.

How does that make sense at all? I should read a book that I know up front I don't agree with. Come on, Uhmump, that makes no sense what so ever.

How do you know you don't agree with it, if you haven't read it? I am with you on a lot of things, but that was a pretty dumb comment.

I also fear that one day you are going to push your kids away from God. You come on pretty strong. You can't force anyone, especially your kids, to believe in Jesus and get saved. They have to make that decision for themselves, as I am sure you are aware. Equiping them with the right tools is great, but pushing them hard may result in them going another way.

I don't know how old your kids are, but maybe it would be better for you to read the Potter books to them and explain where you feel Rowlings got it wrong, based on your Biblical beliefs. If they don't hear it from you, they will hear it from their friends or their friend's parents and then not only will they have a view on the subject that is different than yours, but they will probably think you are a prude, out of touch with them and that they can't come to you to ask questions.
09-14-2006 01:14 PM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
[quote="GrayBeard"]I saw this article on Christian Worldview Network, and it reminded me exactly why I don't let things like Harry Potter in my house.

09-14-2006 01:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.