Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Flip-Flopping George Bush
joebordenrebel Offline
1st String

I Root For:

President Bush: Flip-Flopper-In-Chief

March 31, 2004

From the beginning, George W. Bush has made his own credibility a central issue. On 10/11/00, then Governor Bush said: "I think credibility is important. It is going to be important for the president to be credible with Congress, important for the president to be credible with foreign nations." But President Bush's serial flip-flopping raises serious questions about whether Congress and foreign leaders can rely on what he says.

1. Department of Homeland Security

BUSH OPPOSES THE DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY..."So, creating a Cabinet office doesn't solve the problem. You still will have agencies within the federal government that have to be coordinated. So the answer is that creating a Cabinet post doesn't solve anything." [White House spokesman Ari Fleischer, 3/19/02]

...BUSH SUPPORTS THE DEPARTMENT  OF HOMELAND SECURITY "So tonight, I ask the Congress to join me in creating a single, permanent department with an overriding and urgent mission: securing the homeland of America and protecting the American people." [President Bush, Address to the Nation, 6/6/02]

2. Weapons of Mass Destruction

BUSH SAYS WE FOUND THE WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION..."We found the weapons of mass destruction. We found biological laboratories…for those who say we haven't found the banned manufacturing devices or banned weapons, they're wrong, we found them." [President Bush, Interview in Poland, 5/29/03]

...BUSH SAYS WE HAVEN'T FOUND WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION "David Kay has found the capacity to produce weapons. And when David Kay goes in and says we haven't found stockpiles yet, and there's theories as to where the weapons went. They could have been destroyed during the war. Saddam and his henchmen could have destroyed them as we entered into Iraq. They could be hidden. They could have been transported to another country, and we'll find out." [President Bush, Meet the Press, 2/7/04]

3. Free Trade

BUSH SUPPORTS FREE TRADE... "I believe strongly that if we promote trade, and when we promote trade, it will help workers on both sides of this issue." [President Bush in Peru, 3/23/02]

...BUSH SUPPORTS RESTRICTIONS ON TRADE "In a decision largely driven by his political advisers, President Bush set aside his free-trade principles last year and imposed heavy tariffs on imported steel to help out struggling mills in Pennsylvania and West Virginia, two states crucial for his reelection." [Washington Post, 9/19/03]

4. Osama Bin Laden

BUSH WANTS OSAMA DEAD OR ALIVE... "I want justice. And there's an old poster out West, I recall, that says, 'Wanted: Dead or Alive.'" [President Bush, on Osama Bin Laden, 09/17/01]

...BUSH DOESN'T CARE ABOUT OSAMA "I don't know where he is. I have no idea and I really don't care. It's not that important." [President Bush, Press Conference, 3/13/02]

5. The Environment

BUSH SUPPORTS MANDATORY CAPS ON CARBON DIOXIDE... "[If elected], Governor Bush will work to…establish mandatory reduction targets for emissions of four main pollutants: sulfur dioxide, nitrogen oxide, mercury and carbon dioxide." [Bush Environmental Plan, 9/29/00]

...BUSH OPPOSES MANDATORY CAPS ON CARBON DIOXIDE "I do not believe, however, that the government should impose on power plants mandatory emissions reductions for carbon dioxide, which is not a 'pollutant' under the Clean Air Act." [President Bush, Letter to Sen. Chuck Hagel (R-NE), 3/13/03]

6. WMD Commission

BUSH RESISTS AN OUTSIDE INVESTIGATION ON WMD INTELLIGENCE FAILURE... "The White House immediately turned aside the calls from Kay and many Democrats for an immediate outside investigation, seeking to head off any new wide-ranging election-year inquiry that might go beyond reports already being assembled by congressional committees and the Central Intelligence Agency." [NY Times, 1/29/04]

...BUSH SUPPORTS AN OUTSIDE INVESTIGATION ON WMD INTELLIGENCE FAILURE  "Today, by executive order, I am creating an independent commission, chaired by Governor and former Senator Chuck Robb, Judge Laurence Silberman, to look at American intelligence capabilities, especially our intelligence about weapons of mass destruction." [President Bush, 2/6/04]

7. Creation of the 9/11 Commission

BUSH OPPOSES CREATION OF INDEPENDENT 9/11 COMMISSION... "President Bush took a few minutes during his trip to Europe Thursday to voice his opposition to establishing a special commission to probe how the government dealt with terror warnings before Sept. 11." [CBS News, 5/23/02]

...BUSH SUPPORTS CREATION OF INDEPENDENT 9/11 COMMISSION "President Bush said today he now supports establishing an independent commission to investigate the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks." [ABC News, 09/20/02]

8. Time Extension for 9/11 Commission

BUSH OPPOSES TIME EXTENSION FOR 9/11 COMMISSION... "President Bush and House Speaker J. Dennis Hastert (R-Ill.) have decided to oppose granting more time to an independent commission investigating the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks." [Washington Post, 1/19/04]

...BUSH SUPPORTS TIME EXTENSION FOR 9/11 COMMISSION "The White House announced Wednesday its support for a request from the commission investigating the September 11, 2001 attacks for more time to complete its work." [CNN, 2/4/04]

9. One Hour Limit for 9/11 Commission Testimony

BUSH LIMITS TESTIMONY IN FRONT OF 9/11 COMMISSION TO ONE HOUR... "President Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney have placed strict limits on the private interviews they will grant to the federal commission investigating the Sept. 11 attacks, saying that they will meet only with the panel's top two officials and that Mr. Bush will submit to only a single hour of questioning, commission members said Wednesday."  [NY Times, 2/26/04]

...BUSH SETS NO TIMELIMIT FOR TESTIMONY "The president's going to answer all of the questions they want to raise. Nobody's watching the clock." [White House spokesman Scott McClellan, 3/10/04]

10. Gay Marriage

BUSH SAYS GAY MARRIAGE IS A STATE ISSUE... "The state can do what they want to do. Don't try to trap me in this state's issue like you're trying to get me into." [Gov. George W. Bush on Gay Marriage, Larry King Live, 2/15/00]

...BUSH SUPPORTS CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT BANNING GAY MARRIAGE "Today I call upon the Congress to promptly pass, and to send to the states for ratification, an amendment to our Constitution defining and protecting marriage as a union of man and woman as husband and wife." [President Bush, 2/24/04]

11. Nation Building

BUSH OPPOSES NATION BUILDING... "If we don't stop extending our troops all around the world in nation-building missions, then we're going to have a serious problem coming down the road." [Gov. George W. Bush, 10/3/00]

...BUSH SUPPORTS NATION BUILDING "We will be changing the regime of Iraq, for the good of the Iraqi people." [President Bush, 3/6/03]

12. Saddam/al Qaeda Link

BUSH SAYS IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO DISTINGUISH BETWEEEN AL QAEDA AND SADDAM... "You can't distinguish between al Qaeda and Saddam when you talk about the war on terror." [President Bush, 9/25/02]

...BUSH SAYS SADDAM HAD NO ROLE IN AL QAEDA PLOT "We've had no evidence that Saddam Hussein was involved in Sept. 11." [President Bush, 9/17/03]

13. U.N. Resolution

BUSH VOWS TO HAVE A UN VOTE NO MATTER WHAT... "No matter what the whip count is, we're calling for the vote. We want to see people stand up and say what their opinion is about Saddam Hussein and the utility of the United Nations Security Council. And so, you bet. It's time for people to show their cards, to let the world know where they stand when it comes to Saddam." [President Bush 3/6/03]

...BUSH WITHDRAWS REQUEST FOR VOTE "At a National Security Council meeting convened at the White House at 8:55 a.m., Bush finalized the decision to withdraw the resolution from consideration and prepared to deliver an address to the nation that had already been written." [Washington Post, 3/18/03]

14. Involvement in the Palestinian Conflict

BUSH OPPOSES SUMMITS... "Well, we've tried summits in the past, as you may remember. It wasn't all that long ago where a summit was called and nothing happened, and as a result we had significant intifada in the area." [President Bush, 04/05/02]

...BUSH SUPPORTS SUMMITS "If a meeting advances progress toward two states living side by side in peace, I will strongly consider such a meeting.  I'm committed to working toward peace in the Middle East." [President Bush, 5/23/03]

15. Campaign Finance

BUSH OPPOSES MCCAIN-FEINGOLD... "George W. Bush opposes McCain-Feingold...as an infringement on free expression." [Washington Post, 3/28/2000]

...BUSH SIGNS MCCAIN-FEINGOLD INTO LAW  "[T]his bill improves the current system of financing for Federal campaigns, and therefore I have signed it into law." [President Bush, at the McCain-Feingold singing ceremony, 03/27/02] 

<a href='http://www.americanprogress.org/site/pp.asp?c=biJRJ8OVF&b=42263&printmode=1' target='_blank'>http://www.americanprogress.org/site/pp.as...263&printmode=1</a>
05-27-2004 11:00 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MaumeeRocket Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Aren't you grasping at straws here? Kerry is known as the waffler, no matter how hard you try you cant change that.
05-27-2004 12:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
KlutzDio I Offline
1st String

I Root For:

MaumeeRocket Wrote:Aren't you grasping at straws here? Kerry is known as the waffler, no matter how hard you try you cant change that.
You first should tell why "waffling" is bad, and secondly you ignored the "waffling" of your God.

Why is changing one's mind such a bad thing? I change my mind quite often, especially when confronted with evidence to the contrary of my original decisions or positions.

Bush's henchmen running around hollering "waffler" and flip-flopper bother me because it insinuates that changing your mind is evil, or an example of scum. Also, this was the tactic used by George H.W. Bush against Dukakis. Being an 18 year old kid back then, I didn't see what was bad about "waffling" and that's a stupid word, really.

Lastly, no one has to vote for Kerry if they don't care to vote for Bush. I heard about a campaign in one state to write in McCain's name. The campaign is being pushed by a Republican organization in that state, sorry can't remember which one but it ain't Arizona!
05-27-2004 04:55 PM
joebordenrebel Offline
1st String

I Root For:

If I'm grasping at straws, it's only because the Bushit is too deep to walk in. :D

Seriously, if the charge of flip-flopping is thrown at Kerry, can't we throw it back?
05-28-2004 12:24 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

MaumeeRocket Wrote:Aren't you grasping at straws here? Kerry is known as the waffler, no matter how hard you try you cant change that.
Just because Rove & Co. decided to label him that doesn't make it so. :wave:
05-28-2004 05:43 AM
Quote this message in a reply
MaumeeRocket Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Oddball Wrote:
Just because Rove & Co. decided to label him that doesn't make it so. :wave:
The truth must have hurt. I know you are but what am I tactic is always the dem defense.
05-28-2004 04:31 PM
Advertisement

Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Actually, the truth is starting to win out. Bush's numbers keep sinking, and Kerry's are just now starting to pick up. You can fool some of the people...
05-28-2004 06:38 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies

joebordenrebel Wrote:President Bush: Flip-Flopper-In-Chief
This thread has reached the irony and hypocritical capacity limit. Liberals please close your browser and reboot. Thanks.
05-28-2004 07:22 PM

LOL - who pinned up after my comment? :laugh:
05-29-2004 04:04 AM
KlutzDio I Offline
1st String

I Root For:

georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:
joebordenrebel Wrote:President Bush: Flip-Flopper-In-Chief
This thread has reached the irony and hypocritical capacity limit. Liberals please close your browser and reboot. Thanks.
No one ever explained why changing one's mind is an inherently bad thing to do!

Schwagger, tell us why it's bad for one to change their mind.

Schwagger, explain how this thread is hypocritical!

Didn't Bush waffle first?

Didn't Bush accuse Dean of waffling first, and then transposed that onto Kerry?

Wait a minute here, Bush doesn't waffle because to do so would require the man to make a decision, and clearly he has yet to do that. His junta is making the decisions with their purse strings being pulled by GE, Microsoft, Boeing, Lockheed, DuPont, etc.

This whole administration is a farce, and while Kerry is no one to write home about, at least he carries a modicum of intelligence.
05-29-2004 11:22 AM
joebordenrebel Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Isn't it funny how Cons can't even wrap their head around Bush as flip-flopper?

What a bunch of sheep! Baah. . . :laugh:
05-29-2004 11:43 AM
Advertisement

KlutzDio I Offline
1st String

I Root For:

What's funnier is when they cannot answer a question posed to them that will call their positions into question, such as you and I have repeatedly, they scamper away to never return to the challenging thread.

So many debates left dangling without the last word from the Republican cheerleaders of the forum.

:drink:

Then they return to espouse the same mantra as the previously unended debates only to be summarily defeated again. Then they scamper and flee.

It seems that at some point they'd invest in a logic book. Or, A Idiot's Guide to Debating Even If Your Position is Contradictory and PoppyCock. :chair:
05-31-2004 03:23 PM
1125 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati, NKU

Folding@NCAAbbsSkunkworks

Didn't Kerry support the Patriot Act at first? Didn't he switch his view to make the liberals happy?
<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>MR. FLIP FLOP KERRY</span>
06-02-2004 07:40 PM
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Does Kev beat you up and make you do his chores? :rolleyes:

Clue: In the immediate aftermath of 9/11 many folks voted for and supported anything that looked like it could help prevent another attack. Seeing how it could later be abused, any rational person would consider changing their minds on the issue.

Bush is the real flip-flopper.

I won't let Condi testify.
Condi go out there and testify.

We'll get international support.
We don't need international support.

We don't need more money for Iraq.
We need more money for Iraq.

Bush invites Chalabi to sit behind his wife at State of Union Address.
Bush raids Chalabi's house.

Bush opposes creating Homeland Security department.
Bush supports Homeland Security department.

We found WMD's.
We haven't found WMD's.

We must get Osama dead or alive.
We don't care about Osama.

No investigation into WMD intelligence.
Oh okay, investigation into WMD intelligence.

No 9/11 commission.
Oh okay, 9/11 commission.

Gay marriage is a state issue.
We need to change the Constitution to prevent gay marriage.

No nation building.
Nation building.

McCain-Feingold is an infringement on free expression.
McCain-Feingold improves the current system of financing for Federal campaigns.
06-02-2004 08:05 PM

Most won't argue Bush has his flaws.

However we'll all just as quickly point out he is the lesser of two evils when compared to Kerry, who is playing politics horribly. He hasn't taken a firm stand on anything. It's nothing more than pandering to his current audience whoever they may be at the time. Kerry isn't much behind Howard Dean in terms of where he sits on the political spectrum. Kerry embarrised the United States by dealing with a communist dictator in Latin America at a time when the US had very strong foreign policy against it. Kerry's plans for illegal immigrants would devastate low income southern job market and ripple through into the rest of the nation. Unemployment would soar. Kerry would have to create jobs and an insane pace to keep up with the unemployment. I could go on, but I'm quite busy and most of this is stuff anybody with a brain and deduce.
06-02-2004 08:30 PM
1125 Offline
Heisman

Oddball Wrote:We found WMD's.
We haven't found WMD's.
We did find Weapons...Like I was telling you the liberal media is not reporting it so it won't let Bush look good... <a href='http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,120137,00.html' target='_blank'>http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,120137,00.html</a>
06-02-2004 09:04 PM
Advertisement

1125 Offline
Heisman

Oddball Wrote:We must get Osama dead or alive.
We don't care about Osama.
Who says we don't care about him?
06-02-2004 09:07 PM
1125 Offline
Heisman

Read this BBC Article (Liberal) about how most weapons won't be found...They have been destroyed by Saddam himself and sent to other countries

<a href='http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/3054549.stm' target='_blank'>http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politic...ics/3054549.stm</a>
06-02-2004 09:14 PM
Dogger Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Crappies

Ohh Ohh poor little bearcat. The shell was from the 80's when our CIA gave him the sarin. The intelligence community thinks the terrorists probably didn't know that the shell was full of old sarin nerve agent. One shell that they didn't even know they had at the expense of BILLIONS of dollars. Sad very very sad.
06-02-2004 09:16 PM
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

UCBearcats1125 Wrote:
Oddball Wrote:We found WMD's.
We haven't found WMD's.
We did find Weapons...Like I was telling you the liberal media is not reporting it so it won't let Bush look good... <a href='http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,120137,00.html' target='_blank'>http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,120137,00.html</a>
You need a library card, son. :rolleyes:
06-02-2004 09:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.