Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Another suicide bombing in Israel
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU

Maybe those of you who are more "in tune" to the complex Israel/Palestinian situation can help me out here. But I can't help but notice that there always seems to be a <a href='http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=1&u=/ap/20030519/ap_on_re_mi_ea/israel_explosion' target='_blank'>spike in suicide bombings</a> immediately before or during planned peace negotiations. Do the Palestinians want a state, or be perpetually engaged in a state of conflict? Maybe the ordinary Palestinian "street" may want the former, but groups like Hamas and their 72-virgin-yearnin' desciples act like they're begging for the latter.
05-19-2003 12:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RochesterFalcon Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Sometimes, liberation movements turn into gangster movements. They find illegal ways to pay for their actions and, at a certain point, find they can make a living through liberation.

I do not mean to express an opinion on the rightness or wrongness of particular political causes by stating this. That said, one could argue the IRA was/is at least in part a gangster movement with at least a partial interest in maintaining the conflict. The same analogies might also be drawn in Colombia.

The traditional explanation is that Hamas is hardline to the point of not wanting Israel to exist at all. Does that represent the view of all Palestinians? I suspect not, but I don't know.

Would creation of a state mollify that hardline Hamas sentiment. I would think so, but I understand the politics that are at stake when most Israelis say they aren't willing to take that risk.

I'd like to see a high profile pledge from George Bush that he would put $50 billion on the table to help in a settlement of the problem. I see the money being used primarily as cash awards to Palestinians who lost land in exchange for a settlement of all claims (and the elimination of the "right of return").

$50 billion is a ton of money. But we spent more in Iraq, and I'm not sure it has accomplished as much, at least as far as our own self-interest is concerned.
05-19-2003 12:14 PM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I think your theory's a very good one. Hamas, et al, certainly have a vested interest (which doesn't exclude financial) in constant conflict. In fact, I think many despots across the Middle East and Asia "need" the constant presence of Israeli-Palestinian conflict in order to boost their own rhetoric. Quite frankly, I believe a number of them could give a hill of beans for the Palestinians, but are merely exploiting their "plight" as a convenient rallying cry for their own masses.

BTW, brown is beautiful, but only when side-by-side with gold. 03-razz
05-19-2003 12:52 PM
Advertisement

RochesterFalcon Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Quote:BTW, brown is beautiful, but only when side-by-side with gold. &nbsp;

Which has always left me wondering: Was there a revolt when the Broncos went to these new Army-like unis? They are cool and all... but decidedly not brown.
05-19-2003 01:40 PM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

Most were in favor of the new unis. We did lose some "uniqueness", since - aside from Wyoming - we were the only school with that color scheme. However, there were some years where the combo looked pretty nasty.

I think part of the problem wasn't really the brown, but that our gold wasn't gold at all. It was a bright yellow. So, in that case, I think the change to the current true gold was an improvement.
05-19-2003 03:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.