Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Terrorist Attacks Down
MaumeeRocket Offline
1st String

I Root For:

<a href='http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/04/29/terror.report/index.html' target='_blank'>Drop in terrorism?</a>

Maybe Iraq is more central to the war on therror than we thought. Instead of fighting them on all fronts, we have moved them to a central location. Read the part on the Saudis JBR 03-wink
04-29-2004 06:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest

Big drop since the world got serious about it.

I heard this on the radio today...then I heard Sen Byrd ranting how our country has not become perfectly safe. What a doofus. He's probably got rants about how the Patriot Act is abusing the constitution.

Pretty weak campaign platform that "we dont' have a perfect world."
04-29-2004 07:01 PM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies

DrTorch Wrote:Big drop since the world got serious about it.

I heard this on the radio today...then I heard Sen Byrd ranting how our country has not become perfectly safe. What a doofus. He's probably got rants about how the Patriot Act is abusing the constitution.

Pretty weak campaign platform that "we dont' have a perfect world."
The Dims have Byrd, yet we are the racists? Go Figure. If your ever catch the Senate in session late at night, on C-Span of course, I bet Byrd will not be there. He starts whining about bed time around 8:00 or so! It's hilarious!
04-29-2004 07:05 PM
MaumeeRocket Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Im surprised no dims have chimed in on this issue. I think it brings up an intersting strategy on the war on terror, unless you dont beleive we should fight the war on terror, then i guess it wouldnt matter.
04-30-2004 02:51 PM
DukeofDrums Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cincinnati

Taking the terrorists on where Americans are armed, trained, and ready? What an ingenious Idea, who thought of that??? Nah...couldn't have been The Hon. Pres. Bush. 04-rock
05-01-2004 12:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HuskieDan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

<a href='http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A31971-2004May16.html' target='_blank'>http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/artic...-2004May16.html</a>
05-17-2004 10:03 AM
Advertisement

Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

I hasn't even started. :rolleyes:
05-17-2004 02:16 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

[Image: mdf568593.jpg]

U.S. soldiers survey the scene following a car bomb explosion outside the U.S.-led coalition headquarters in Baghdad, May 17, 2004. The bomb killed the head of Iraq's Governing Council on Monday, dealing a major blow to the U.S. coalition battling a Shi'ite insurgency and a growing prisoner abuse scandal. Abdul Zahra Othman Mohammad, a Shi'ite Muslim also known as Izzedin Salim, was in the last car of a Governing Council convoy waiting at a checkpoint to enter the 'Green Zone' coalition headquarters in central Baghdad when the car bomb exploded. (Akram Saleh/Reuters)
05-17-2004 02:42 PM
joebordenrebel Offline
1st String

I Root For:

From the official website:

"Patterns of Global Terrorism   -2003
Released by the Office of the Coordinator for Counterterrorism
April 29, 2004

The Year in Review

There were 190 acts of international terrorism in 2003, a slight decrease from the 198 attacks that occurred in 2002, and a drop of 45 percent from the level in 2001 of 346 attacks. The figure in 2003 represents the lowest annual total of international terrorist attacks since 1969.

A total of 307 persons were killed in the attacks of 2003, far fewer than the 725 killed during 2002. A total of 1,593 persons were wounded in the attacks that occurred in 2003, down from 2,013 persons wounded the year before.

In 2003, the highest number of attacks (70) and the highest casualty count (159 persons dead and 951 wounded) occurred in Asia.

There were 82 anti-US attacks in 2003, which is up slightly from the 77 attacks the previous year, and represents a 62-percent decrease from the 219 attacks recorded in 2001.

Thirty-five American citizens died in 15 international terrorist attacks in 2003."

-----
But of course there's always another side to the issue. . .
-----

"Published on Thursday, May 8, 2003 by the International Herald Tribune

Scaring America Half to Death: Mixed Messages on Terrorism

by William Pfaff

PARIS -- Foreign ministers of the Group of Eight leading industrial nations met in Paris on Monday to affirm that terrorism remains a "pervasive and global threat." Just three days earlier, the State Department had announced that terrorism is at its lowest level in 33 years.

One wonders if anything would have changed had that news reached the G-8 foreign ministers. The war against terrorism, like the war against Iraq, functions in all but total indifference to facts.

An unnamed "senior Bush administration official" told the press last weekend that he would be amazed if weapons-grade plutonium or uranium were found in Iraq. It was also unlikely, he said, that biological or chemical weapons material would be found. He said that the United States never expected to find such a smoking gun.

What was the Iraq war all about then? The official said that what Washington really wanted was to seize the thousand nuclear scientists in Iraq who might in the future have developed nuclear weapons for Saddam Hussein. He described them as "nuclear mujahidin."

The preventive war, according to this redefinition, was not directed against an actual problem, but one that might have appeared in the future.

One might have thought the official's statement merely an excuse for the fact that no weapons of mass destruction have been found, but this time it is President George W. Bush who seems not to have been told. He is still assuring Americans that the illicit weapons will turn up.

In its annual report to Congress on terrorism, the State Department said that the 199 recorded terrorist incidents last year represented a 44 percent drop from the previous year, and was the lowest total since 1969.

There were no terrorist attacks at all in the United States, five in Africa and nine in Western Europe. Nearly all the rest were in Asia (99), Latin America (50) and the Middle East (29). (Forty-one of the total 50 incidents reported as terrorism in all of Latin America last year were bombings of a U.S.-owned oil pipeline in Colombia.)

What the report actually indicates is that virtually all the incidents identified by the U.S. government as acts of "global terrorism" in 2002 occurred in four places: in Colombia; in Chechnya, with its separatist war; in Afghanistan, with the continuing low-scale war; and with the Palestinian intifada. Elsewhere, the Bali tourist bombing by Islamic extremists caused some 200 deaths.

Before Sept. 11, 2001, virtually none of this would have been called terrorism. It would have been called civil insurrection, or nationalist or separatist violence.

Since September 2001, vast global significance has been attributed to such episodes. They have been made the rationale for state mobilization and the restrictions of civil liberties in the United States (and at the American penal colony at Guantánamo Bay).

Elsewhere, we have heard rationalizations of methods of state repression that in the past might have won the concerned governments a place in another annual report the State Department makes to Congress: on international human rights violations.

The distorted account of terrorism has had extraordinary psychological effect on many in the United States, causing them to think they are exposed to a degree of personal risk that has virtually no foundation in statistics, or indeed in common sense.

The New York writer who recently said that since the fall of Baghdad he has, for the first time since 2001, felt himself secure from being blown to bits by a terrorist bomb while crossing Times Square, is one such case. Thousands of New Yorkers, acting on federal government warnings, this year built themselves tape-sealed rooms stocked with provisions, water and gas masks for a prolonged siege by terrorists.

Polls indicate that American voters no longer really care whether weapons of mass destruction are found in Iraq. The victory was not over a threat they really identified with Saddam Hussein. It was a victory over "terrorism."

Now, in an official report few will read, or are expected to read, their government admits that terrorism is at its lowest level in three decades, and that the actual risk it poses is statistically negligible. At the same time, the same government tells them they must live in fear of "appalling crimes" and mass destruction. Where is this leading Americans?

Copyright 2003 the International Herald Tribune"
-------

So, cool. We're making up statistics to prove conclusions. Farther and farther down the rabbit hole we fall. . .
05-18-2004 02:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MaumeeRocket Offline
1st String

I Root For:

I've must have missed the part on making up numbers, where was this again?
05-19-2004 02:59 AM
KlutzDio I Offline
1st String

I Root For:

MaumeeRocket Wrote:<a href='http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/04/29/terror.report/index.html' target='_blank'>Drop in terrorism?</a>

Maybe Iraq is more central to the war on therror than we thought. Instead of fighting them on all fronts, we have moved them to a central location. Read the part on the Saudis JBR 03-wink
Drop in terrorism, huh? Tell that to the Spaniards!

Iraq, a central front, huh? That is laughable.

The form of terrorism going on currently in Iraq is more akin to guerilla response to an occupying force. Forgetting the difference in historical epochs, George Washington's forces and colonial militias fought the British in a very similar manner--they sought to strike terror in the hearts and minds of the loyalists and the occupyers, destroy supplies, ambush, and flee when faced with superior numbers from an organized force (the Redcoats).

The tactics employed in the Revolutionary War prompted one general in the King's Army to quip "...a band of thugs seeking to terrorise us..." He then advised several higher-ups to adapt accordingly to the new tactics, i.e. to terrorize the dis-loyal colonists.

Now I'm not doubting that there are bona-fide, authentic terrorists in Iraq. I do realize this. I'm merely restating what reports I've heard from CENTCOM and various allied generals thoroughly abrest of the situation. Whenever a nation has a power-vacuum and run-away unemployment, terrorism ensues. The Iraqi people, furthermore, are prideful in their national identity. Without a job, watching their friends and family being coralled by allied military occupyers, along with whatever military training most men in Iraq have, the logical result would be a resort to guerilla tactics to resist the occupation.

Terrorism is a crime in which small bands of fighters claim they are fighting a war against oppression. The terrorists attempt to compel the civilian authorities of their oppressors to submit to the terrorists' will. They carry this out by terrorizing the civilian population. Terrorists usually avoid military targets (with some exceptions, of course) and target civilians specifically.

The "insurgents" in Iraq are targeting mostly occupation forces, the military's people. These are the targets of the attacks, for the most part, and therefore what is going on in Iraq is more a guerilla war than terrorism. Should these insurgents travel to Britain, Australia, the U.S. (or any other nation) and carry out attacks on civilians, then this would be an example of terrorism.

They are attacking some civilians in Iraq--mostly fellow Iraqis and even some allied civilian contractors and businessmen and women--because these people are supporting the occupation forces. They are similar to the colonial loyalists of a previous war, and their attacks on these civilian supporters are much more akin to guerilla war and Clausewitzean total war as exemplified by colonists targetting British and colonial civilians during the Revolutionary War, the Viet-Cong attacks on the South Vietnamese civilian goverment (and civilians themselves) during the heyday of that conflict and the allies' carpet bombing campaign on Axis nations' cities during WW2.

I also consider you citing a CNN website to be entirely comical. Don't you know that is the "commie" news network? You've been very disdainful of their reporting before, so why the reversal?

Oh, I see. They reported something that you agree with and therefore you are not disdainful of CNN's reporting.
05-19-2004 02:20 PM
Advertisement

MaumeeRocket Offline
1st String

I Root For:

If I quoted it from FOX, i figured you were state it wasnt factual. So I took it staright from the DNC's mouth.
05-19-2004 04:08 PM
KlutzDio I Offline
1st String

I Root For:

MaumeeRocket Wrote:If I quoted it from FOX, i figured you were state it wasnt factual. So I took it staright from the DNC's mouth.
My problem with all media outfits, whether these are Fox, CNN, or Joe Smith's Newschannel is that all reporters leave things out of their reports. Fox and CNN are masters of conveniently leaving things out.

All media oufits, furthermore, hype crap to the Nth degree, i.e. that Jacko is wacko! That Scott Peterson killed his wife and low carb diets are great...no they aren't they're terrible.

All media outfits act like complete jerks from time to time, i.e. camping out for a week on the Berg's front lawn after that poor dude was killed.

Such is the nature of the business of journalism.

And what does the DNC have to do with anything?

Are you suggesting that I am a Democrat. If so, then fock you too! :chair:

Exceptions--C-SPAN, NPR, BBC, Reuters, the Atlantic Monthly, and I could go on. I am not saying that these media organizations never make mistakes (everyone makes mistakes), I'm saying that these exceptions usually don't act like other, less reputable media outfits, i.e. Fox.

As far as factual goes, and let this be a lesson to you, "the news" as we call it is all shadows in Plato's cave.
05-19-2004 04:17 PM
tiger85 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Fender

Jacko isn't a wacko? :laugh:
05-19-2004 04:57 PM
tiger85 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Fender

Scott Peterson was merely out for a good time when found near the Mexican border with 10,000 in cash and his hair dyed? :laugh:
05-19-2004 04:59 PM
KlutzDio I Offline
1st String

I Root For:

tiger85 Wrote:Scott Peterson was merely out for a good time when found near the Mexican border with 10,000 in cash and his hair dyed? :laugh:
Jacko is wacko and Scott Peterson should have the book thrown at him, once he's convicted. Until then, are these stories really so pertinent that the stories require a daily onslaught of media coverage?

No, these stories are not as pertinent as a million other things going on.

Stories like Jacko, Scott and Martha, along with makeover "news" (facelifts, liposuction, etc.), are distractions to what is really going on.
05-19-2004 06:27 PM
Advertisement

joebordenrebel Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Now, really, you gotta ask yourself:

Why do I know so much more about (O.J., Scott Peterson, Michael Jackson) than I do about (Iraq, tax "cuts," corporate greed)?

When you come up with an answer, let me know.
05-20-2004 09:19 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies

DrTorch Wrote:how the Patriot Act is abusing the constitution.
It does, and I fully support the EFF and repealing it. The name of it sickens me to death considering it's true nature, and I'm sure the real patriots of the revolutionary war have already rolled in their graves a few times over that.

No -- we can never be absolutely 100% secure, but we can reach an acceptable level of security (haven't gotten there yet).
05-20-2004 10:31 PM
HuskieDan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:
It does, and I fully support the EFF and repealing it. The name of it sickens me to death considering it's true nature, and I'm sure the real patriots of the revolutionary war have already rolled in their graves a few times over that.

No -- we can never be absolutely 100% secure, but we can reach an acceptable level of security (haven't gotten there yet).
<a href='http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=18&u=/ap/20040611/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/powell_terror_report' target='_blank'>Terrorism attacks went down.....oh, wait, no they didn't. </a>

So much for that claim. Anything else you'd like to revise for the U.S. public? :rolleyes:
06-11-2004 10:14 AM
HuskieDan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

HuskieDan Wrote:
georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:

<a href='http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=18&u=/ap/20040611/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/powell_terror_report' target='_blank'>Terrorism attacks went down.....oh, wait, no they didn't. </a>

So much for that claim. Anything else you'd like to revise for the U.S. public? :rolleyes:
Done with your Reagan circle-jerk yet? Care to respond to this?
06-11-2004 04:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.