Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

We all love dook
rickheel Offline
The Old Bastard

I Root For: Heels
Donators

Play theme music

"Blue Devil Jump" (written by Robert Johnson; performed by Eric Clapton).

Michael Moore voiceover

In 2001, President George W. Bush placed Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski and his basketball program squarely in the Axis of Goodness, saying, "[Duke] recruited for athletic talent, but they also recruited character, as well. ... Good people do finish first."

And that's when I became a Duke fan. I mean, who doesn't like good people?

Of course, Bush is the guy who said when he met Russian president and former KGB man Vladimir Putin, "I looked the man in the eye. I found him to be very straightforward and trustworthy. I was able to get a sense of his soul."

Bush, Coach K
Who knew how much Coach K and former KGB man Vladimir Putin had in common?

Bush isn't the only president who gushes over Coach K. Earlier this month, Duke University President Richard Brodhead said, "He's a person of high integrity who teaches character as much as he teaches basketball."

It makes me wonder, though -- what was Coach K teaching when he schooled the Lakers and his own university? As Jason Whitlock said on Page 2, "[A] little public flirting with the Lakers is the easiest way to modify your 'lifetime' contract, the one Krzyzewski signed in 2001." You mean that wasn't a sincere flirtation with the Lakers?

Whatever Krzyzewski was teaching at Duke, Carlos Boozer was taking notes. He just screwed the Cleveland Cavaliers into the ground so hard they'll need a bulldozer to dig out.

Or maybe Boozer learned from Jay Williams, former NCAA Player of the Year at Duke -- like Boozer and Krzyzewski, Williams was part of the 2001 team that visited the President at the White House, one of Bush's "good people."

Williams broke his Chicago Bulls contract when he bought a motorcycle and rode it on the street. Sad to say, he also crashed, broke his pelvis, tore up his legs and probably ended his career. In all, Williams deprived the Bulls and their fans of his services, the second pick in the 2002 draft, which they used to take him, and about $3 million in cash they used to buy out his contract.

It was awfully nice of Jay to settle for $3 million of the Bulls' money after doing that to the team. Maybe former Blue Devil Grant Hill should follow Williams' example. Hill is still collecting on the seven-year, $93 million contract he signed with the Orlando Magic in 2000. Four years later, how many games has he played in a Magic uniform? 47. The Magic have urged him to retire. He won't. They need to get his $13-plus million annual salary off their books. He'd rather keep the franchise crippled for years than give back a penny.

Maybe Hill learned from former teammate Christian Laettner, the Golden Boy of college basketball in the early '90s. He was named NCAA Player of the Year over Shaquille O'Neal, and was the only non-NBA player on the original Dream Team -- apparently, they needed a character guy. Never mind that he's been been considered a flop and a pain in the *** during his six-team NBA career. And maybe Laettner learned from his former teammate, Danny Ferry, another NCAA Player of the Year from Duke. Ferry decided he was bigger than the NBA, so he refused to play for the Clippers, forcing them to trade him to, yes, Cleveland -- where he bombed.

Duke, Coach K and his players are the White Knights of basketball. Goodness knows where we would be without their chivalry.

Cut to grainy video of Coach K in a tuxedo and singing at a podium
07-28-2004 01:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Trooper Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Let me get this straight.

You are blaming Coach K for what his college players did after they left Duke?

If you go by that reasoning then Dean Smith should be in jail.

:laugh:
07-29-2004 07:10 AM
JD Heel Offline
All American

I Root For: UNC

CrappiesCrappies

That's an ESPN column, just so people know.

I won't necessarily agree or disagree 100 percent with what the guy said, but I think the point is that dook NBA alums are having some troubles lately. (He didn't even point out Phil Henderson, who was jailed recently for not paying child support.)

Personally, I don't hold a coach responsible for what happens with players after they leave a school. Now, if some of the coach's actions are suspect (Quin Snyder) then that's another story. But, I don't think K is involved with shady dealings.

But, I still don't agree with a lot of what Coach K does -- like the f-bombs he drops and the hypocrisy that comes out every now and then. For example, I think he played up the Lakers situation more than he had to, because I don't really think he was seriously considering leaving. That's where I agree with the columnist.

As for the Dean Smith jail comment -- first of all, I already said that I don't think a coach can be held too responsible for something like that. He can be a good influence and still have a few bad apples from time to time.

But, also, given the fact that Dean has put out more NBA players that probably any coach in recent history (and maybe ever), I think it's ludicrous to say something like that. The vast majority of his players have turned out to be fine, upstanding citizens -- those that don't become players or coaches usually rise to the top of other professions. And, yes, I'm aware of certain aberrations like the James Worthy incident and Rasheed Wallace's small skirmishes with the law. I don't recall either going to jail for them, but I could be wrong on that. I can't think of too many other Dean Smith disciples that have had serious trouble with the law, but maybe my mind is failing me this morning.

-JD
07-29-2004 10:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rickheel Offline
The Old Bastard

Donators

It really is all about the relationships. :laugh:
07-29-2004 11:03 AM
Terpy Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

JD Heel Wrote:But, I don't think K is involved with shady dealings.
*cough* *cough*

Corey Maggette
07-31-2004 01:28 AM
natejonesacc Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Terpy Wrote:
JD Heel Wrote:But, I don't think K is involved with shady dealings.
*cough* *cough*

Corey Maggette
Link Terpy? :wave:
07-31-2004 06:17 PM
Advertisement

natejonesacc Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Hell, forget the link, I'll settle for any sort of proof.

"I'm from Maryland, and nobody can beat me." -NCM
07-31-2004 06:19 PM
rickheel Offline
The Old Bastard

Donators

Let the games begin! How ya doin Nate? Good to see ya. :wave:
07-31-2004 06:36 PM
Tasha Offline
All American

I Root For:

Hey! How did you get back on here?
08-01-2004 07:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
techfan4 Offline
One of the First

I Root For: Georgia Tech

SkunkworksCrappies

:eek: I'm feeling sick. I've seen 4 ghosts already this week. LT, BG, Terpy, and now nate. I think I might die if drunkterp showed up. :eek:
08-01-2004 08:05 PM
techfan4 Offline
One of the First

SkunkworksCrappies

and btw..welcome back nate
08-01-2004 08:06 PM
Advertisement

tarheelsben1 Offline
Mac Guru

I Root For: UNC
Folding@NCAAbbs

techfan4 Wrote:and btw..welcome back nate
is this some kind of joke? who left the backdoor open?
08-01-2004 08:49 PM
JFlight21 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati

Nate :eek: Howdja get back here 03-pissed
08-01-2004 08:57 PM
Terpy Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Here's your link my good friend. Terpy, be nice now.

<a href='http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/college/news/2000/04/30/duke_maggette/' target='_blank'>http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketbal.../duke_maggette/</a>
08-01-2004 11:27 PM
Terpy Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

And I love how it is such a horrible thing for NCM to get in a little trouble outside a bar but it is ok for Casey Sanders to beat up his girlfriend. :stupid:
08-02-2004 12:03 AM
Lucy Offline
All American

I Root For: Wake Forest

DonatorsCrappies

techfan4 Wrote::eek: I'm feeling sick. I've seen 4 ghosts already this week. LT, BG, Terpy, and now nate. I think I might die if drunkterp showed up. :eek:
I actually met TurtleProtector the other weekend.
08-02-2004 08:36 AM
Advertisement

techfan4 Offline
One of the First

SkunkworksCrappies

Oh...that did it...

03-puke
08-02-2004 09:00 AM
Lucy Offline
All American

I Root For: Wake Forest

DonatorsCrappies

Very nice guy. He & LT kept us entertained all day with excellent drumfish selections & other stellar cover tunes.
08-02-2004 09:17 AM
techfan4 Offline
One of the First

SkunkworksCrappies

If you see him again, tell him to COME BACK! 03-wink :D
08-02-2004 09:58 AM
natejonesacc Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Terpy Wrote:Here's your link my good friend. Terpy, be nice now.

<a href='http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/college/news/2000/04/30/duke_maggette/' target='_blank'>http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketbal.../duke_maggette/</a>
How does that prove that K was "involved with shady dealings"? All that proves is that "Maggette misled Duke". Hell, if anything, that link proves my point more than yours.
08-02-2004 12:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.