Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

yet another new nickel
Laettners Legacy Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Duke Blue Devil

FORT CALHOUN, Neb. - A new nickel commemorating the exploration of the West made its debut Tuesday aboard a 55-foot replica of the keelboat used in the Lewis and Clark expedition 200 years ago.

The nickel bears the familiar likeness of President Thomas Jefferson on one side. But instead of Jefferson's home, Monticello, the coin's flip side depicts an angled side view of the keelboat that took Meriwether Lewis, William Clark and their crew through the rivers of the Louisiana Territory in search of a passage to the Pacific Ocean.

The words "Lewis and Clark" appear beneath the keelboat.

Thousands of people stood in line in 90-plus degree heat to exchange money for the coins.

"I think they could be collectors' items someday," said Roy Harrington, 50, who toted $10 worth of the newly minted nickels released Tuesday at Fort Atkinson State Historical Park near Fort Calhoun north of Omaha.

The coin's release coincided with the bicentennial anniversary of Lewis and Clark's historic first meeting on the banks of the Missouri River at a site near present-day Fort Calhoun.

"I have a lot of grandchildren and great-grandchildren coming up, and I want to be able to pass these along to them," Harrington said.

The "keelboat" nickel is one of two 5-cent coins struck this year to commemorate the Louisiana Purchase and Lewis and Clark's expedition. Earlier this year, the "Peace Medal" nickel was released.

[Image: capt.ah10208040026.keelboat_nickel_ah102.jpg]

any collectors out there?
08-04-2004 12:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.