Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Should you pass a test before being able 2 vote?
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies

I think so.

Me: Who are you voting for?
(22 yr old black woman): Kerry.
Me: Why??
Her: Umm.. because he's a Democrat I guess.
Me: Have you heard Kerry's Senate testimony after Vietnam?
Her: He was in Vietnam? Oh. Well then, .. no I guess I haven't.
Me: Do you realize most people could be tried for treason to this country after doing something like what he did during war time?
Her: Oh.. No, I didn't.
Me: Did you also know he is the most liberal member of Congress and has voted for some forms of partial-birth abortion. He has voted against every tax cut. He has voted for every tax hike. He tries to agree with everybody and has no firm stance. He has managed to flip flop in one sentence before, even.
Her: Wow I didn't know that.
Me: So who are you voting for now?
Her: I dunno. Kerry still I guess... because um . . . . . He's a Democrat and all.
10-26-2004 12:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bourgeois_Rage Away
That guy!

I Root For: UC & Bushmills
Folding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGDonatorsDonators

Hmmm, I don't think you should have to pass a test based on some of the information you quized her on. Some of it is very partisan, and a matter of opinion (ie. The Vietnam thing can be spun both ways). Besides I think the uninformed vote more or less cancels itself out. on top of that, i think most of this country wouldn't pass even a simple test. Most people think that they only have a choice between two parties. Sad.
10-26-2004 12:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest

Indeed we are paying for sins past. The inappropriate use of tests in regards to voting, as a means of racial discrimination, has now come back to haunt the country.

Of course people should be expected to pass a test, or meet some requirements to vote. (Hey Democrats, that even means being a US citizen.) An uninformed vote is more dangerous than no vote at all.

But, the mere suggestion of such brings forth cries of "racism" and "discrimination"...all to the delight of news media that is only too eager to fabricate such stories instead of reporting on reality. One can only hope that the apathy that precludes somebody from actually learning things will continue, and they'll choose to watch 'Fear Factor' rather than vote.
10-26-2004 01:06 PM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame

fear factor comes on Monday. They'll still be able to vote. :D
10-26-2004 01:09 PM
jjburtzel Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UC Bearcats

It does drive me insane that I'm surrounded by people who are either uninformed or misinformed. If you have an opinion based on what you think is important, then fine, but these people who haven't a clue count just as much as my vote and it makes me crazy. If people can't tell me where the candidates stand on the big issues (my favorite is when people have them mixed up...that gives me confidence) then how can that vote be legit...but it is.

I usually don't quote or care what 'celebrities' say, but this is how I feel too:
<a href='http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20041018/ap_en_ce/people_matt_stone_3' target='_blank'>Stay Home, Undecided Voters</a>
10-26-2004 01:15 PM
Advertisement

Bourgeois_Rage Away
That guy!

I posted an idiot story on here a few weeks ago. A guy I work with actually didn't know that Bush was up for re-election. Today, he was trying to figure out how to register to vote. :bang:
10-26-2004 01:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bourgeois_Rage Away
That guy!

Before we start having people take tests to vote, I think the campaigns need to be cleaned up. The two parties put out so much misinformation trying to cause confusion. So how do you blame these people?

A. You obviously don't pay attention so you don't know who stands for what.
B. You pay attention, but don't examine every statement in enough detail to properly weed out the lies and deceit.
C. You pay attention, and actually believe what X candidate is telling you. Keep drinking the kool-aid.

Everybody has the right to their opinion no matter how misguided. I don't understand every detail about stem-cell research, and I'm not going to check out a book on it from the library in order to understand if there really is as much hope in the research as the dems say, or if it is a unethical as the Reps say. I've got a decent handle on the situation and I've made my call on it. Is it right? I don't know. I hope so. But ultimately, it is my call.
10-26-2004 01:38 PM
MAKO Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Weeding out the spin from the facts has become a task that only the terribly politically astute are able to do and even then you've got to rely on 3rd party sources. I defy you to point out one single attack ad that is 100% accurate and not misleading in any way.
10-26-2004 03:03 PM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest

MAKO Wrote:Weeding out the spin from the facts has become a task that only the terribly politically astute are able to do and even then you've got to rely on 3rd party sources. I defy you to point out one single attack ad that is 100% accurate and not misleading in any way.
You're missing the point. It's not the spin, it's the basics. The objective info. How about a quiz like the following, would that be so wrong?:

1. Who is the current president?

A. Dick Cheney
B. Al Gore
C. Bill Clinton
D. George Bush
E. John Kerry

2. Who is the current vice-president?

A. Al Gore
B. Ralph Nader
C. Dick Cheney
D. John Kerry
E. Dick Gephardt

3. The US is currently at war in two countries. Identify both of them from the following:

A. Iran
B. Afghanistan
C. Bosnia
D. Saudi Arabia
E. Somalia
F. Iraq

4. 9/11 Refers to the date of an attack on the US in 2001. Which group has been decided as most likely responsible?

A. Al Quaida
B. Al Jazeera
C. McVeigh and Nichols
D. Insurgents

5. During the past four years, the federal tax rate (not your state, local, sales or property taxes) went
A. Up
B. Down

6. "Offshoring" is a concern of:
A. Costal fishing
B. US Jobs sent to other countries
C. Attacks on the US from foreign naval vessels
D. Erosion of beaches

7. The electoral college casts ballots to determine the president. Representatives come from each state, each state represented by the sum of the US Senators and US Representatives for each state. The total number of representatives from all states combined is:
A. 50
B. 100
C. 435
D. 535

8. US Senators serve terms of
A. 2 years
B. 4 years
C. 5 years
D. 6 years

9. US Representatives serve terms of
A. 2 years
B. 4 years
C. 5 years
D. 6 years

10. The US President serves a term of
A. 2 years
B. 4 years
C. 5 years
D. 6 years

Heck, let's say you only need an 8/10 to pass.
10-26-2004 03:34 PM
Advertisement

rteynor Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets

Bourgeois_Rage Wrote:I posted an idiot story on here a few weeks ago. A guy I work with actually didn't know that Bush was up for re-election. Today, he was trying to figure out how to register to vote. :bang:
At least we won't have to count his vote this time.
10-26-2004 03:44 PM
Tulsaman Offline
This Space For Rent
Jersey Retired

I Root For: OK State, Tulsa
CrappiesCrappies

didn't we have civil rights so that no one had to take a test to vote?
10-26-2004 07:55 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies

I'm talking about eliminating votes cast by people who are *clueless* about what is going on, not racially discriminating :rolleyes:
10-27-2004 01:59 AM
ccs178 Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss

CrappiesCrappiesDonators

How about charging a registration fee. Say $100. Just once. How many of the clueless people would pay it?
10-27-2004 09:16 AM
Advertisement

GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies

ccs178 Wrote:How about charging a registration fee.&nbsp; Say $100. Just once. How many of the clueless people would pay it?
That would disenfranchise the poor, and having to take a test would disenfranchise the stupid.
10-27-2004 09:17 AM
MAKO Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Quote:How about charging a registration fee. Say $100. Just once. How many of the clueless people would pay it?
Quote:poll tax

n : a tax of a fixed amount per person and payable as a requirement for the right to vote
Quote:Amendment XXIV

Section 1. The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any state by reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax.

Section 2. The Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

Maybe we should disallow the right to vote to anyone who doesn't know that poll taxes are prohibited by the United States Constitution. Isn't the Constitution part of civics classes?

:ownd:
10-27-2004 10:02 AM
ccs178 Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss

CrappiesCrappiesDonators

MAKO Wrote:
Quote:How about charging a registration fee. Say $100. Just once. How many of the clueless people would pay it?
Quote:poll tax

n : a tax of a fixed amount per person and payable as a requirement for the right to vote
Quote:Amendment XXIV

Section 1. The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any state by reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax.

Section 2. The Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

Maybe we should disallow the right to vote to anyone who doesn't know that poll taxes are prohibited by the United States Constitution. Isn't the Constitution part of civics classes?

:ownd:
:stupid:

It was a joke, jackarse.

You need to have a window installed in your colon so you can see out.
10-27-2004 10:11 AM
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

I Root For: ACC
SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals

Bourgeois_Rage Wrote:I posted an idiot story on here a few weeks ago. A guy I work with actually didn't know that Bush was up for re-election. Today, he was trying to figure out how to register to vote. :bang:
He shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Same goes for those who fall for that "Hi, I'm calling to inform you that the election will be held on Wednesday" trick.
10-28-2004 01:49 PM
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

I Root For: ACC
SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals

georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:I'm talking about eliminating votes cast by people who are *clueless* about what is going on, not racially discriminating :rolleyes:
Sadly, many of us Black Americans go along with that "(s)he's a Democrat" logic, instead of voting for one's own interests.

Going off topic now...

I believe I've settled on voting for the incumbent President. Both Bush and Kerry are "presidential" enough for me, but what has tipped the scale in Bush's favor is:

- I have reservations about Kerry's health care plan -- someone's gotta pay for it, and it'll eventually fall on the middle class, even though he says no "middle class tax raise".

- We need as many small businesses as possible to recover from the "outsourcing" fallout. Raising the minimum wage doesn't help, nor does rolling back taxes on the $200,000 and up. Maybe the $500,000 and up, but not the $200,000 and up.

- "Who would you rather have for a First Lady, Laura Bush or Theresa Heinz Kerry"? Laura Bush -- not even close.

- "Would you feel secure with John Edwards as President in the event John Kerry was unable to perform his duties?" Nope.

- If it comes down to a battle over "one nation under God" in the Pledge, I want to see it remain. I grew up with it, and see no need to get rid of it. Therefore, I want Supreme Court justices who will fight to keep it in.
10-28-2004 02:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.