Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Mets hire Willie Randolph as Manager
Herd Fan 4-Life Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall

Donators

I think this will be a good move by the Mets. He knows what is means to be a winner. May take some time but a good move.

NEW YORK (AP) - Willie Randolph was hired Wednesday by the New York Mets, taking over as manager of a troubled team trying to compete with its crosstown rival for success, free agents and fans.

A six-time All-Star who was a coach with the New York Yankees for the past 11 years, Randolph replaces Art Howe, fired at the end of the season. The Mets called a Thursday news conference to introduce Randolph at Shea Stadium.
Randolph met earlier Wednesday with new general manager Omar Minaya, who also had second interviews with the other finalists, Texas hitting coach Rudy Jaramillo and former Houston and Anaheim manager Terry Collins.

Randolph was a standout second baseman who spent 13 seasons with the Yankees, serving as co-captain and winning Word Series titles as a player in 1977 and 1978, plus four more as a coach. He also played for Pittsburgh, Los Angeles, Oakland and Milwaukee before finishing his career with the Mets in 1992.

He said last month he had interviewed unsuccessfully in the past for 11 or 12 managerial openings.

"I thought it was very beneficial to have this second round," Minaya said late in the afternoon, before the deal was finalized. "It gives me a better feel for the decision I have to make."

At that time, he wouldn't say who the front-runner was, but his description of what he wanted fit Randolph perfectly.

"I'm looking for a person, a manager, that's going to have good work ethics, going to communicate with the players, communicate with the front office on a daily basis," Minaya said. "I'm looking for a manager that's going to be able to delegate to the staff. I'm looking for a manager that's going to interact with the community."

Minaya's new manager will have a year-round job, talking frequently with the minor league staff and farm director and visiting instructional and winter leagues during the offseason. The 50-year-old Randolph moved to bench coach under Joe Torre last season after 10 years coaching third base for the Yankees.

"I'm looking for a guy at the end of the day that has leadership qualities," Minaya said.

Randolph nearly was hired by Cincinnati after the 2000 season but withdrew from consideration after the Reds offered a relatively short contract at a below-market salary.

He becomes the fourth black manager in the major leagues, criticized by some for a lack of blacks in management positions, and the first ever in New York. The others currently managing are the Chicago Cubs' Dusty Baker, Frank Robinson of the Expos, and Pittsburgh's Lloyd McClendon.
11-04-2004 10:50 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GDawgs88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Crappies

He deserved a shot. Good hire.
11-05-2004 12:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies

i think it's worth a gamble. and yes he deserved a shot. But frankly, we know nothing about randolph, to suggest that this is a good hire. Again, i'm not saying this is a bad hire, but we definitely do not know if it is a good one.
11-05-2004 02:48 PM
GDawgs88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Crappies

True. I THINK it will be a good hire.
11-05-2004 03:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.