FSU    8-0     9-4
MD     7-1   11-2
UVA    5-3    7-6
GT       4-4    8-4
NCSU  4-4    9-4
CLEM  4-4     6-6
WF      3-5    6-6
[/code:1]
OK, say FSU beats NC State. They finish 8-0 and go to the Orange Bowl. Maryland wins out to finish 11-2, so they go to the Gator. I think State goes to the Peach, Tech goes to the Tangerine. If the system if fair, Wake should get a bid to either the Continental Tire or Seattle Bowl and Virginia gets the other bowl. That leaves Clemson, if they lose to USC, out of the mix unless they buy their way into a bowl like they did last year. The only at-large bowls out there are the Silicon Valley and Humanitarian bowls. Do the Tiger faithful put up with back to back trips to the wild blue yonder in Idaho?

Any thoughts?
11-17-2002 05:04 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MsNole
Unregistered

CY - you think the Noles will beat NC State, but lose to the gaytors at home... that makes no sense. The Noles will beat both teams and finish the regular season at 8-0 in the ACC, and 10-3 overall.

Clemson should have no trouble beating USC... USC is pretty aweful this season 03-puke

<!--EDIT|MsNole|Nov 17 2002, 05:47 PM-->
11-17-2002 05:39 PM
CY Hammer Company
Unregistered

MsNole Wrote:CY - you think the Noles will beat NC State, but lose to the gaytors at home... that makes no sense. The Noles will beat both teams and finish the regular season at 8-0 in the ACC, and 10-3 overall.
I don't know. Zookie has been able to get them fired up for the big games this year. And UF beat the crap out of the Noles last year in the Swamp.
11-17-2002 05:53 PM
georgia_tech_swagger
Unregistered

BCS ---> Florida State
Gator Bowl ---> Maryland
*Peach Bowl --> NC State
**Tangerine Bowl --> Georgia Tech
*Continental Tire Bowl --> Virginia
Seattle Bowl --> Wake Forest
***Music City Bowl --> Clemson

* These could flip flop either way, but I think the Peach takes NC State because of the media glory they have gotten this season. Virginia is a very attractive pick, and has had a history of great Peach Bowl games, but they haven't had the hype this year

** The Tangerine Bowl has sent officials to the last 2 Georgia Tech games, and nobody else has.

*** If Ohio State beats Michigan, the Big Ten gets two BCS births (Ohio State and Iowa). Even if Michigan wins, they could very well gobble up two births, though it is more unlikely. Anyway, this means the Big Ten would fail to fulfill its bowl requirements. Guess who's left in the ACC? Wake Forest and Clemson. They know Clemson will travel, so they pick up the Tigers, and the Deacs are left Sleepless in Seattle, although not shafted like last year.
11-17-2002 08:19 PM
Advertisement

SSJT Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

what an honor...going to the continental tire bowl :rolleyes:

why not just give every damn team a bowl game
11-17-2002 08:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CY Hammer Company
Unregistered

SSJT Wrote:why not just give every damn team a bowl game
That's basically what they are doing now. About 55% of 1-A teams go to bowls. It's really no longer a reward for a good season.
11-17-2002 09:22 PM
MsNole
Unregistered

CY Hammer Company Wrote:
MsNole Wrote:CY - you think the Noles will beat NC State, but lose to the gaytors at home... that makes no sense. &nbsp;The Noles will beat both teams and finish the regular season at 8-0 in the ACC, and 10-3 overall.
I don't know. Zookie has been able to get them fired up for the big games this year. And UF beat the crap out of the Noles last year in the Swamp.
Now let's reconsider this... last year, Steve Spurrier was still around and the game was played in Gainesville. Not too many teams go into the Swamp and beat the gaytors. Yes, the Noles have done it before and Miami and LSU did it this year against them. How can you say they get up for big games when Miami and LSU both killed the gators at home... The gators have NOT beaten the Noles in Tallahassee since 1986 and I don't see any way, any how that they will be able to do it this year.
11-17-2002 10:47 PM
Advertisement

Paul
Unregistered

Couple of points...The "Hawaii Bowl" played on New
Year's Day has already selected Hawaii as the home
team. They also have an At-Large spot to fill.

Here's a scarey thought...but it would have served
a great purpose. With the 6 win minimum for bowl
teams during 11 game seasons...(Win more than you
lose)...IF that had been raised to 7 in a 12 game season,
there wouldn't even be enough teams to fill the 56
spots. There would be only 54 teams with 7 wins, and
that includes FIVE FROM THE MAC!

6-6 in a bowl..It's getting to be as bad as Baskletball
11-17-2002 11:31 PM
JD Heel
Unregistered

Paul Wrote:6-6 in a bowl..It's getting to be as bad as Baskletball
What's so bad about basketball? Are you referring to teams that make the NCAA tournament... or the fact that there's an NIT also?

If it's the former, then only 65 teams make the tourney -- and they either have to win their conference, or just about win 20 games to make it in (which is well over .500). If they lose a game, they're out. They don't get to call themselves "Humanitarian Bowl Champions" or anything like that. Only one of those teams gets to end their season with a win and call themselves "champions."

If your beef is with the NIT, then I can only say that most people recognize it for what it is -- a reason for some teams to prolong the season and keep playing. The NIT is only going to be a big deal to a small-time program.

I can't wait for the day that college football is "as bad as basketball."

-JD
11-18-2002 12:16 PM
JoltinJacket
Unregistered

JD Heel Wrote:
Paul Wrote:6-6 in a bowl..It's getting to be as bad as Baskletball
What's so bad about basketball? Are you referring to teams that make the NCAA tournament...
I could be wrong, but I think he might mean the borderline teams that sneak in (i.e. Georgia getting in with a 16-15 record in '00, Clemson getting in with a 7-9 ACC rec. in '96, etc). Near .500 teams taking bids away from mid-major teams with better records, and 80% of the time, those bubble teams get ousted in the 1st round.

It's not the same as a 6-6 team (or even a 5-6 team - North Texas in '01) getting into a bowl, but there is to gripe in both sports.
11-18-2002 03:20 PM
Advertisement

JD Heel
Unregistered

At least there's a reason they make it in, and it doesn't have to do with cash (at least not as blatantly as bowl games). If a near .500 team makes it into the tourney, it's usually because they played a tough schedule and had some quality wins in there somewhere. I actually applaud that. I'd rather it be that way than for teams to get rewarded to cupcake schedules, like in football (with anything other than the BCS).

-JD
11-18-2002 03:31 PM
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

117 D-1A teams

26 bowls

52 teams will participate

The other 65 teams will be in the I-Wish-I-Was-In-A-Bowl-Game.com Bowl.

Bowl games now are about who can pay out the most money to have a Bowl named after them... Fed-Ex, Gallery Furniture, etc. I think its getting way out of hand. Just like the BCS vs having a playoff. The argument on the playoff is the season would be to long and interfere with the athletes studies. Well HELLO!! Look at the season now. What happend to the 11 game seasons? At one time there was 9-10 games being played in a season. Now we are playing on the average 13 games, some teams could make it to 14 if you include the bowl game. It wont be long before NCAA athletes are playing just as many games as the NFL. Im still waiting on the time to come when the NCAA plays all its final games the same weekend as the NFL plays theirs. Then we have the National Championship a week before the Super bowl, but no one wants a playoff because it will make the season too long???? Way too many bowls out there now, and for what, besides the money, but how much money?? What are schools getting that compete in December in a bowl game compared to schools that compete in January in a bowl game. Silicon Valley Classic, which consist of a WAC team vs an at large team TBA, come on now, and they're calling it a classic?????
11-18-2002 07:58 PM
metro6775 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Postseason college basketball is about 110% more exciting than D1 college football postseason. At least in basketball you get to see every team make their conference tourney unless you live in Pac 10 country. So every team gets a chance to go for the National Championship in a way no matter how bad their season was.

I'm not going to waste my breathe about a Div 1 College Football Playoff because IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN! It is like all those tree-huggers going around saying we shouldn't use oil....IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN! Bowl games, like oil, are big business, big money. And Big Money makes the world go round.
11-18-2002 08:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MsNole
Unregistered

And here's another reason why the gaytors won't beat Florida State...

Florida receiver Carlos Perez had surgery Monday on his broken right leg. The junior was Florida's leading receiver with 58 catches for 591 yards and four touchdowns. He had six catches in the first half Saturday against South Carolina before breaking his fibula while being tackled late in the second quarter.

Team physicians anticipate Perez will be healthy in time for next year's spring practice.
11-18-2002 09:50 PM
Paul
Unregistered

As bad as Basketball...

Yep...

Borderline teams...

Leagues with 7 teams who have a chance at winning the
National title. Why not be like High School and let 'em
all go. It would only add another week and a night of
play-in games.

The adage...Picking the first 40 ain't a big deal, but who
is to say who is 65 and who is 66.

As far as favorite sports...You better check the stats...
Do not mistake March Madness...with the Office Pools
and College Basketball in general. Try the 11th Favorite
sport in the country.

In college basketball...you play an entire season for one reason
and one reason only..."To seed the Conference Tourney's!"

In College Football...Lost One game and you are a long shot.
Lose two and forget about a National Title.

In college football...EVERY GAME MEANS SOMETHING! In
college basketball...It doesn't mean crap!

Correct...there will never be a college football playoff!

Because the Big Conferences will always fight for "at-large"
teams. Garbage!

A National Champion is the goal. Find out who is Number 1...
Not who is number two and three. etc, etc.

It is a game of elimination. You win the ACC...you eliminate
8 teams. You win the SEC...you eliminate 11 teams, etc...etc

Do that and you can have a National Title. Then the complaint...
Well the 4th Place team in the ACC is better than the Gulf
Coast Champion. Probably is...my question then is...What the
hell are those teams doing in Div. 1!

If you allow them to be cannon fodder as "Div 1 Teams"...then
you have to allow them to compete...because the Big Conferences
won't and because when the NCAA votes, ALL member institutions
vote...then the Big Conferences are voted down.

Can everyone say..."Money Talks!"

Basketball...If you are going to invite more than the league
Champs...then invite them all. What's the difference...

Only one more weekend, plus a night of play-in games.

Seriously that's it...340 Div 1 Teams...

On a Tuesday the bottom 168 teams play. (84 Play in games)

The 84 winners join the top 172 teams...

On Thurs and Fri. Round One...128 games (256 Teams)
On Sat and Sun Round Two...64 Games (128 Teams)

The next weekend...you are down to 64 teams.

At least I won't have to watch teams wondering why they didn't get
in with a 20-12 record! 10 wins against everybody from the
Sisters of the Poor...To Wampum Ridge Tech!

Give me a break
11-18-2002 10:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.