Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Golf. Is it a sport?
RaiderATO Offline
Puddin' Stick

I Root For: MiddleTennessee

Is golf a sport?

I presonally don't think so. I think it's a game of skill. Like Billiards and Darts and Bowling.

If you're going to call golf a sport, then you need to call Pool, Darts and Bowling sports too. (Bowling is on the edge of being a sport IMO.)

What does everyone else think?

(I know it's trivial as to what name it's given, but I'm bored.)
07-25-2005 11:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GDawgs88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Crappies

Hard to say...the term "sport" is so subjective. It means a lot of different things to a lot of different people. Me, I consider it a sport because it does take physical effort and talent to do it successfully. But that's just one man's opinion.
07-26-2005 11:23 AM
RaiderATO Offline
Puddin' Stick

OK. Anyone else?
07-26-2005 06:44 PM
Lethemeul Offline
Fancy Pants

I Root For: Pirates!

NCAAbbs LUGDonatorsFolding@NCAAbbs

I'll go.

I played baseball growing up and I've been playing golf for about 2 years.

To improve at baseball I had to practice.
To improve at golf I have to practice.

I would leave baseball practice hot, sweaty, tired, and dirty.
I leave the driving range hot, sweaty, tired, and dirty.

After a baseball game I was hot, sweaty, and dirty but not usually tired.
After 18 holes, I'm hot, sweaty, tired, and dirty.

The more I played baseball, the better I got, but I was never a good player.
The more I play golf, the better I get, but I'm still not a good player.

So yeah, in my mind, based on my experiences, golf is a sport. That or baseball isn't.
07-27-2005 06:55 PM
Advertisement

Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Quote:sport  Audio pronunciation of "sport" ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (spĂ´rt, sprt)
n.

1. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
        2. A particular form of this activity.
  2. An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.
  3. An active pastime; recreation.

I'd have to say so. I don't care if you ride or walk, after 18 holes, you have muscles that will be hurting the next day.
07-27-2005 09:24 PM
Quote this message in a reply
RaiderATO Offline
Puddin' Stick

So you, rebelkev, would say, by definition, that darts, billiards and bowling are sports.
07-28-2005 01:25 AM
Laettners Legacy Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Duke Blue Devil

I would say its a sport because its a game of skill. there is a nonsubject way to score and to win. (ex: number of swings, ball in hole, the least number of swings wins). these are unsubjective.

diving, surfing, x-games, fishing, gymnastics,firgure skating are not sports in my opionion because they are decided by judges. its basicaly how "pretty" they look. very subjective.

basketball, if the ball goes into the goal-its a score. dont matter how pretty it is-same amount of points. the ball games (basket foot soccor hockey base golf etc) are sports, racing is a sport becasue the first to cross the line wins (regardless if foot horse dog car).
09-14-2005 02:59 PM
Advertisement

Huskiepride Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NIU & the Cubs

Raider_ATO Wrote:So you, rebelkev, would say, by definition, that darts, billiards and bowling are sports.

I don't see much "physical exertion" in darts or billiards. So those aren't sports, they're competitive games. In bowling, there is some physical exertion. I know my arm is sore after a few games. I'd consider bowling a sport before darts and billiards. Golf, NASCAR/racing...definitely sports.

And if you say NASCAR doesnt involve physical exertion. Try sitting for 5 hours, in hundred degree heat or more with no air circulation, almost nothing to drink or eat, no breaks, and regularly lose 15-20 pounds per race.

And oh yeah, not killing yourself or 42 other drivers or hundreds of pitcrewsmen or spectators.
05-07-2006 09:48 PM
sportsfan29829 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Is golf a sport. Walk 7,000 yards in 100 degree heat,and try to shoot a low score..Then tell me... I'm not talking about the golf with buddies,when you hit a shot, get in the cart,and drink beer..I'm talking competitive golf..Lugging your bag around in that same 100 degree heat..Golf is definitely a sport..
08-23-2006 11:44 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies

Yes
01-20-2007 03:48 PM
Advertisement

Howl-n-Prowl Away
Three SDs above the mean

I Root For: Los NIU Huskies
RE: Golf. Is it a sport?
NO
01-22-2012 09:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Howl-n-Prowl Away
Three SDs above the mean

But Bowling is.
01-22-2012 09:50 PM
Howl-n-Prowl Away
Three SDs above the mean

Still not a sport.
01-25-2012 02:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.