Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Best ACC announcers
JoltinJacket
Unregistered

I'm talking strictly the regional/national (ABC, ESPN, JP Sports, etc) play-by-play announcers here, not the color analysts.
01-28-2003 05:49 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Lucy
Unregistered

Who voted for Mushmouth? The guy is a blithering idiot! I rank him up there with Dukie V on the annoyance factor... :saber:
01-28-2003 06:18 PM
nate jonesacc
Unregistered

Where's Billy Packer? He's the man! 03-wink :rolleyes: :D

I voted Nessler. If either Jay Bilas, Mike Gminski or Brad Daughtery were on the poll, they would get my vote.

Those three are the most well spoken, knowledgable, objective analysts/commentators in the business.

Jay Bilas 04-bow 04-bow
01-28-2003 07:14 PM
nate jonesacc
Unregistered

Lucy Wrote:Who voted for Mushmouth? The guy is a blithering idiot! I rank him up there with Dukie V on the annoyance factor... :saber:
AMEN!

But I like Dickie V, not because he's a Duke fan, but because he is everything RIGHT about college hoops. He has the excitement, the aura and the charisma that makes college basketball great!

"The NBA is all about the name on the back of the jersey. College is all about the name on the front of the jersey."

-Dickie V 04-bow
01-28-2003 07:16 PM
Advertisement

techfan4
Unregistered

nate jonesacc Wrote:I voted Nessler.
Guess where he got his start? :D
01-30-2003 06:27 PM
nate jonesacc
Unregistered

techfan4 Wrote:
nate jonesacc Wrote:I voted Nessler.
Guess where he got his start? :D
Tech? 04-cheers I love having ACC guys do good things after college.

Connie Cheung (sp?), Jay Bilas, Mike Gminski, Len Elmore, Brad Nessler, Brad Daugherty etc...
01-30-2003 08:32 PM
SSJT Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

03-puke Daugherty
01-30-2003 08:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

nate jonesacc
Unregistered

SSJT Wrote:03-puke Daugherty
03-confused 03-confused 03-confused
01-30-2003 08:43 PM
JD Heel
Unregistered

Yeah, I'd like to hear the reasoning for Daughtery. Not that you aren't allowed to dislike the guy, but some people like him and some people don't. I'd like to hear the reasoning for both sides.

Personally, I think he has a lot to work on as a color analyst, but I like him anyway. Yes, a big reason for that is that he's a Carolina guy, but I also think he does a lot of nice things announcing. He's genuinely enthusiastic about the game, and he knows a lot about the game (having played it at a high level in both college and the NBA). He can add some good insight, especially about the post play. He's also an ACC guy, so it's great to see him doing games in conference. And he's not overly UNC-biased -- he'll let a "we" slip every now and then, but it's an accidental thing.

One thing he needs to work on actually involves the use of "we" -- he has a strong tendancy to do that during the game. It's funny too, because when he did the UNC-Rutgers game, he was talking about how Rutgers needed to execute on offense and kept saying "We need to do this, we need to do that." I wanted to yell at the TV, "You're a Carolina guy, for Pete's sake!!!" 03-wink

All in all, I think he's a good announcer who will improve as he becomes more comfortable doing games.

-JD
01-31-2003 12:40 PM
JD Heel
Unregistered

Also, I don't know about Bilas as an announcer (I've only heard him do part of one game), but I think he's probably the best studio analyst there is. I can only assume that he does a superb job announcing too.

-JD

<!--EDIT|JD Heel|Jan 31 2003, 12:50 PM-->
01-31-2003 12:44 PM
Advertisement

nate jonesacc
Unregistered

JD Heel Wrote:I'd like to hear the reasoning for both sides.
Objectivity and knowledge of the game [Image: icon14.gif]
01-31-2003 04:13 PM
JoltinJacket
Unregistered

I like listening to Brad. He's right up there with Len Elmore and Dan Bonner - two of my favorite analysts. Like JD said, he has a genuine love for the game. He broadcasts like a fan and not like someone just doing their job (I know, that's what Vitale does too, but there's a difference between enthusiasm and being annoying).

Bilas needs to liven it up when he announces. He definitely knows his stuff, but he's a little stale (get Daugherty to pass him some of that enthusiasm 03-wink).

<!--EDIT|JoltinJacket|Jan 31 2003, 08:55 PM-->
01-31-2003 08:47 PM
Cardiac Pack Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Chalk up another vote for Mike Patrick.
01-31-2003 11:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.