Open TigerLinks

UAB coach tried to get into USM's student section after loss
Bookmark and Share
TigerTitan Offline
Ginourmous Fan

I Root For: MEMPHIS TIGERS

DonatorsDonators
UAB coach tried to get into USM's student section after loss
Quote:UAB coach Mike Davis was furious following the game, having to be restrained from going into a rowdy student section that had thrown objects on the court at one point in the game and given the Blazers bench grief throughout.

The quote is from today's Clarion Ledger. I hate our kids threw some hats and such on after a bad call, but at least they're starting to come to basketball games and acting like they do at football games!

Go C-USA!
03-01-2007 09:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DxfanMiner Offline
Miner Maniak

I Root For: UTEP/SHSU

He must be related to Reggie Theus. Reggie Theus (New Mexico St) coach threw us a finger after he won the game.
03-01-2007 09:29 AM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award

Tell the whole freakin story. They were throwing objects at one of his injured players on the floor. That's why he was so angry. Regardless of whether it was because of a bad call, the hat almost hit a player hurt on the floor.

Very poor class by the students.

Why are you on this board anyway with this crap.
03-01-2007 09:42 AM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame

proper student section.
03-01-2007 09:45 AM
Eagle in the gym Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss

Memphis Blazer Wrote:Tell the whole freakin story. They were throwing objects at one of his injured players on the floor. That's why he was so angry. Regardless of whether it was because of a bad call, the hat almost hit a player hurt on the floor.

They were throwing objects at the player...not. They were throwing at the ref because of that horrible call. Don't be a drama queen and make him look as if there were a good reason to try to go after students. If the students did someting improper, it's up to the security to take care of it. If they do not, it can be turned into the conference for review.
03-01-2007 10:04 AM
DallasTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis

Eagle in the gym Wrote:
Memphis Blazer Wrote:Tell the whole freakin story. They were throwing objects at one of his injured players on the floor. That's why he was so angry. Regardless of whether it was because of a bad call, the hat almost hit a player hurt on the floor.

They were throwing objects at the player...not. They were throwing at the ref because of that horrible call. Don't be a drama queen and make him look as if there were a good reason to try to go after students. If the students did someting improper, it's up to the security to take care of it. If they do not, it can be turned into the conference for review.

Throwing stuff on the floor is pretty stupid. There has been enough criticism of OM fans throwing stuff at their football games that I am suprised if we have a double standard on this board. I would be embarassed if our fans did that.
03-01-2007 10:08 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

phototiger Away
gone

I Root For: quiet

how cute. a blazer and an eagle fighting on the tiger board.

04-coffee
03-01-2007 10:10 AM
phototiger Away
gone

I Root For: quiet

DallasTiger Wrote:
Eagle in the gym Wrote:

Throwing stuff on the floor is pretty stupid. There has been enough criticism of OM fans throwing stuff at their football games that I am suprised if we have a double standard on this board. I would be embarassed if our fans did that.

our fans throw open knives.
03-01-2007 10:10 AM
JerryJeff Offline
All American

I Root For:

DallasTiger Wrote:
Eagle in the gym Wrote:

And Memphis Blazer has a good point. Why is he here posting this on our board?
03-01-2007 10:11 AM
TigerTwice Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis

fsquid Wrote:proper student section.

That's why I love the squid. Screw PC. Just tell it like it is, baby!
03-01-2007 10:14 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tigerjeb Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

CrappiesDonatorsMemphis Hall of Fame

wouldnt be a problem at all if USM was forced to comply to the same student seating rules that memphis is.

no students behind the visitors football and basketball benches.

throwing crap on the floor for any reason is never acceptable.
03-01-2007 10:25 AM
Advertisement

prtiger Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

phototiger Wrote:
DallasTiger Wrote:
Eagle in the gym Wrote:

What a classic reference. It was 84-85 season at the MSC against Virginia Tech I believe (ask JMS.) Sports Illustrated was covering us for that game as well so the knife throwing incident made the national rags. Kirk had to get on the PA system and tell us to quit throwing things on the floor and finished off by saying his famous "Play Hard" mantra. I think it was Tech because that was the game where Keith showed off his new shaved head sans jerry curls. Crazy game and crazy fans. Thems were the days.

84-85 Motto- "Play Hard"
85-86 Motto- "Play Harderrrr???" 01-wingedeagle
03-01-2007 10:26 AM
tigertommy Offline
Uber Butthead!

prtiger Wrote:
phototiger Wrote:
DallasTiger Wrote:
Eagle in the gym Wrote:

What a classic reference. It was 84-85 season at the MSC against Virginia Tech I believe (ask JMS.) Sports Illustrated was covering us for that game as well so the knife throwing incident made the national rags. Kirk had to get on the PA system and tell us to quit throwing things on the floor and finished off by saying his famous "Play Hard" mantra. I think it was Tech because that was the game where Keith showed off his new shaved head sans jerry curls. Crazy game and crazy fans. Thems were the days.

84-85 Motto- "Play Hard"
85-86 Motto- "Play Harderrrr???" 01-wingedeagle

UL.
03-01-2007 10:28 AM
tigerjeb Offline
Legend

CrappiesDonatorsMemphis Hall of Fame

no - the "knife" game was keith lee's final home game against louisville. it was a 2" pocket knife that hit the floor with blade open and skidded to the feet of john clogherty. he quietly picked it up, closed it and walked over to kirk who then got on the PA. it came out of the student section on the west end of the floor.
03-01-2007 10:29 AM
Bill83 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Megyn Kelly

Donators

tigerjeb Wrote:wouldnt be a problem at all if USM was forced to comply to the same student seating rules that memphis is.

throwing crap on the floor for any reason is never acceptable.

True, but watching MD i see anger management classes in his future, the apple doesn't fall far from the Bobby tree.

Brittany needs to make them move the student section, problem solved.
03-01-2007 10:30 AM
yakko Offline
More than meets the eye!

NCAAbbs LUGDonators

tigerjeb Wrote:wouldnt be a problem at all if USM was forced to comply to the same student seating rules that memphis is.

aren't we the only school that follows that rule?
03-01-2007 10:30 AM
Advertisement

missjtiger Offline
KOKO'S MOMMA/D.J.'S MOMS
Jersey Retired

I Root For: MEMPHIS TIGERS

Crappies

I know I witnessed the wrath of the Southern Miss student section several years ago when they were STUPID enough to put the visitors right beside the students there for a basketball game. 2 male students raised hell all game (inappropriately I might add) harrassing 2 of our player's Mothers and Grandmothers. Their security was alerted to no avail. We complained till we were blue in the face all game long and with 2 minutes left in the game they FINALLY removed the students from the arena. Needless to say, the Rebounders Pres. wrote a letter to their athletic dept. about this and he did receive an apology letter. Ever since then we have never sat next to the student section. I hope our students never ever act that way.
03-01-2007 10:36 AM
ChattTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

yakko Wrote:

aren't we the only school that follows that rule?

I don't know about only, but I did notice that USM doesn't. I'm sure they probably try to say the follow the rule by saying that the student section isn't directly "behind" the bench, but rather at the corner of the court. Kind of like UAB saying students don't sit behind the bench, until more than 10 seats are needed for the bench, then the extended bench does run in front of part of their student section.
03-01-2007 10:41 AM
TigerBill Offline
Imperator Optimus Maximus

I Root For: Liberation

Donators

phototiger Wrote:how cute. a blazer and an eagle fighting on the tiger board.

04-coffee

About basketball, no less. Who'd a thunk it?
03-01-2007 10:42 AM
Eagle in the gym Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss

missjtiger Wrote:I know I witnessed the wrath of the Southern Miss student section several years ago when they were STUPID enough to put the visitors right beside the students there for a basketball game. 2 male students raised hell all game (inappropriately I might add) harrassing 2 of our player's Mothers and Grandmothers. Their security was alerted to no avail. We complained till we were blue in the face all game long and with 2 minutes left in the game they FINALLY removed the students from the arena. Needless to say, the Rebounders Pres. wrote a letter to their athletic dept. about this and he did receive an apology letter. Ever since then we have never sat next to the student section. I hope our students never ever act that way.

I said I was sorry for my actions, Miss J! (Just kidding)

I did not post this to start a fight with UAB people. I usually post bball stuff on here to have someone to talk C-USA basketball with. Sorry for the garbage. Throwing anything ont he floor is not acceptable. I agree. I thought you'd find the situation interesting. No more, no less.
03-01-2007 10:44 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.