Buyer found for Grizz; West is out
10-01-2006 12:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hernando Hills Tiger Offline
High score: 819 (credit)

I Root For: USA

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbs

Quote:Davis reportedly plans to eliminate team president Jerry West's position in a cost-cutting measure, according to the newspaper.

Wow!
10-01-2006 12:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tigers2640 Offline
Lyle Lanley

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Wow I heard about Heisley selling his share, but that's big about JWest being out. Not that he was going to be here more than 2 or 3 more years anyway.
10-01-2006 12:45 PM
tigerloyal Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
CrappiesCrappiesDonators

Guess if we get a new owner in here making rash decisions, before long the Tigers might be the only team playing in the Forum.
Nobody puts West in the corner. lol
10-01-2006 01:05 PM
ncrdbl1 Offline
Legend

I wonder if the guy actually has the money to buy and operate a team. If he buys the team could he afford to lose $20- $30 million a year? They mention the griz lost $40 million this past year. This proves salaries are out of control. A NBA team should not have a total budget of $40 million a year much less lose that much.
10-01-2006 01:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mapdude Offline
Enthusiastically Ambivalant

I Root For: U of Memphis

DonatorsDonators

Perhaps the new ownership group will move the team to Lousiville.....
10-01-2006 03:49 PM
Advertisement

UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators

i thought when the city built the FedExForum one of the conditions was the Grizz had to stay here something like 10 years??

or are these leases like coaching contracts??

Go Tigers!!!
Drew
10-01-2006 03:55 PM
GermantownTiger Offline
Capitalism Rules!

gomemphistigers1 Wrote:i thought when the city built the FedExForum one of the conditions was the Grizz had to stay here something like 10 years??

Go Tigers!!!
Drew

Worry not, my friend...us idiot taxpayers will eventually get the shaft on this deal...it's just a matter of time! 03-weeping lmfao 03-hissyfit 01-lauramac2
10-01-2006 03:59 PM
BinghamptonNed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis

gomemphistigers1 Wrote:i thought when the city built the FedExForum one of the conditions was the Grizz had to stay here something like 10 years??

Go Tigers!!!
Drew

they do have to stay for 10 years .. two of which are gone and they have to pay to leave after the 10 year mark... if the city is the one doing the negotiatiing ... :shhh: you never know --remember the jumbotron?
10-01-2006 04:34 PM
tigerlands Offline
Hall of Famer

BinghamptonNed Wrote:

Go Tigers!!!
Drew

they do have to stay for 10 years .. two of which are gone and they have to pay to leave after the 10 year mark... if the city is the one doing the negotiatiing ... :shhh: you never know --remember the jumbotron?

I thought it was a 25 year contract on the FedEx Forum.
10-01-2006 06:04 PM
mphsfan Offline
Unapologetic Supporter

I Root For: Memphis &

DonatorsDonatorsDonators

West hasn't proven to be worth the money. It sounds like a wise business decision, to me. Truth is....I don't really care.
10-01-2006 06:09 PM
Advertisement

Claw Offline
Hall of Famer

It will be sad not to see Jerry West in the stands watching the Tigers.
10-01-2006 06:10 PM
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL

mapdude Wrote:Perhaps the new ownership group will move the team to Lousiville.....

No thanks, you guys can keep them!
10-01-2006 06:13 PM
kabluey Offline
Heisman

CollegeCard Wrote:
mapdude Wrote:Perhaps the new ownership group will move the team to Lousiville.....

No thanks, you guys can keep them!

Gladly.
10-01-2006 07:14 PM
Tigers2B1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

ncrdbl1 Wrote:I wonder if the guy actually has the money to buy and operate a team. If he buys the team could he afford to lose $20- $30 million a year? They mention the griz lost $40 million this past year. This proves salaries are out of control. A NBA team should not have a total budget of $40 million a year much less lose that much.

A lot of that money goes to marketing the team. Either attempting to throw the public microscope on all of their "good deeds' and building the needed 'goodwill' to make furture bucks that way ... or marketing the team as 'those lovable losers'... sort of like five Charlie Chaplins.

NOTE: Anyone know how much they paid for this year's theme .. "I'm going to Dunkyland" ??
10-01-2006 08:03 PM
Latilleon Offline
Git Buck.

ncrdbl1 Wrote:A NBA team should not have a total budget of $40 million a year much less lose that much.

NBA teams receive $30 million annually from the national television deal. Add the money received for merchandise, global broadcasting, and national sponsors, the NBA probably sends the Grizzlies over $40 million annually. Why would they only have a total budget of $40 million?

The Grizzlies probably have revenue of over $45 million locally.
If the Grizzlies sell 16k tickets for 41 games at an average of $41, that's $30 million. If they have 75 boxes, and they average $80K, that's $6 million. They make $5 million on TV and radio deals annually. Sponsorships are probably $8-10 million.

I think most of those losses are accounting. The Grizzlies have a big payroll, and are playing the luxury tax to the NBA. But after Eddie Jones' contract falls off the books, the Grizzlies will stop paying the tax, and will probably get revenue from the luxury tax distribution.

Also, the ownership has not been making money on running FedExForum. Maybe if they got more events, and made them profitable, they could.
10-02-2006 07:59 AM
Advertisement

mstiger Offline
1st String

I Root For:

mphsfan Wrote:West hasn't proven to be worth the money. It sounds like a wise business decision, to me. Truth is....I don't really care.

I agree with you 100%. What has West done, besides building one of the larger pyarolls in the league, with nothing to show for it? He has really done wonders in regards to their draft choices.
10-02-2006 09:02 AM
TailgateTiger Offline
Hapharazd Heckler

I Root For: Miserables

The main reason they hired Jerry West was for his name. He thought West would bring a little national media to the Griz and create a little buzz in the city. But as we found out later to be the oppisite, West was not that acessable (sp?) to the local media. There's only one person I know who cant be a NBA GM and thats Isiah Thomas
10-02-2006 09:10 AM
DenverTiger Offline
All American

Tigers2B1 Wrote:NOTE: Anyone know how much they paid for this year's theme .. "I'm going to Dunkyland" ??

That is a joke right? That can't possibly be a professional teams marketing slogan.
10-02-2006 09:19 AM
Latilleon Offline
Git Buck.

DenverTiger Wrote:
Tigers2B1 Wrote:NOTE: Anyone know how much they paid for this year's theme .. "I'm going to Dunkyland" ??

That is a joke right? That can't possibly be a professional teams marketing slogan.

That is the headline of one billboard. It is not the theme.

But even on one billboard, it is as corny as can be.
10-02-2006 09:35 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.