Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Duke - one sport school revisited
nate jonesacc
Unregistered

<a href='http://graphics.fansonly.com/confs/nacda/graphics/0203D1FinalStandings.pdf' target='_blank'>http://graphics.fansonly.com/confs/nacda/g...alStandings.pdf</a>

UNC = #8
UVA = #18
Duke = #20
UMD = #22

GT = #53

Just for you, Techfan. 03-wink

Commence your diatribes against the well respected and prestigious Sears Cup.
06-19-2003 03:25 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Lucy
Unregistered

Wouldn't a more accurate comparison between the ACC schools be to take the Sears Cup points for the sports in which all 9 schools compete and THEN do the rankings?

I suggest this method to put all schools on an even playing field. For example, Duke gets a large number of points in some of the women's sports that Tech does not offer due to the lower percentage of women enrolled at the school.

Just a thought... :)
06-19-2003 03:38 PM
nate jonesacc
Unregistered

First of all, I'd like to thank you for putting that coherantly and without flaming. ahem... Techfan

I'm too lazy to do that right now... and it would take a lot of time and research.

UNC competes in the most Sears Cup sports (something like 29)... and Duke competes in close to that (something like 23). I don't know about GT... if you did calculate the average instead of raw points, it would probably narrow the gap, however I highly doubt GT would pass MD, Duke, UVA or UNC.
06-19-2003 04:07 PM
Lucy
Unregistered

nate jonesacc Wrote:I'm too lazy to do that right now... and it would take a lot of time and research.
No problem. I'll gladly indulge my love of research in working on this... :D
06-19-2003 06:12 PM
Advertisement

nate jonesacc
Unregistered

Great... tell me when you're done. I'd actually like to see these stats a lot.

The one fault I've always thought the Sears Cup had was giving more credit to school's who can have those non-rev sports like Stanford.

Duke has won the Carlyle Cup 2 out of 3 times, but wasn't ahead of UNC in the Sears Cup...
06-19-2003 07:53 PM
Lucy
Unregistered

Okay, I'm done. :D

Edited to include points for football There are 12 Sears Cup sports in which EVERY ACC school competes:

Men's Cross Country
Women's Cross Country
Football
Women's Volleyball
Men's Track & Field
Women's Track & Field
Men's Basketball
Women's Basketball
Men's Golf
Men's Tennis
Women's Tennis
Baseball

Using the points given to each school for these sports on the Sears Cup final standings, here are the ACC rankings:

UNC - 490.8
Duke - 413.5
NC State - 351.5
Clemson - 299.5
GT - 277.3
Wake - 268
FSU - 261.5
Virginia - 174
Maryland - 126.5

As you can see, quite a variation from the overall Sears Cup standings...mainly because of the different non-revenue sports that our schools choose to participate in. GT & Clemson do not have women's golf, FSU & GT do not have men's soccer, GT doesn't have women's soccer, Wake doesn't have any swimming/ diving. On the other end of the spectrum, Duke & UNC are the only ones offering fencing, Maryland, UNC & NC State are the only ones with women's gymnastics.

I have an Excel spreadsheet with all of this broken down by school & Sears Cup sport and it is also color-coded to show what sports each school participates in and what sports all schools participate in. I would be happy to email this spreadsheet to anyone who is interested...just send me a PM with your email address.
06-19-2003 08:49 PM
nate jonesacc
Unregistered

Thanks for doing that! Very interesting... I wish women's golf counted, but oh well...

Surprising that Maryland is dead last... :eek: I know they aren't the best athletic dept. in the world, but dead last? Wow.

UVA surprises me a lot, too. They are 2nd in the ACC in the Sears Cup... 8th in the "Lucy Cup" 03-wink .

I'd love a copy of the spreadsheet. dgolf22@hotmail.com
06-19-2003 09:15 PM
Advertisement

Lucy
Unregistered

nate jonesacc Wrote:Thanks for doing that! Very interesting... I wish women's golf counted, but oh well...

Surprising that Maryland is dead last...&nbsp; :eek: I know they aren't the best athletic dept. in the world, but dead last? Wow.

UVA surprises me a lot, too. They are 2nd in the ACC in the Sears Cup... 8th in the "Lucy Cup"&nbsp; 03-wink .

I'd love a copy of the spreadsheet. dgolf22@hotmail.com
Maryland & Virginia got a huge amount of points this year in men's & women's soccer, lacrosse & swimming. Since not all schools offer those, they didn't count in the "Lucy Cup" (I'm liking the sound of that :D). Shoot, in the Lucy Cup rankings, Wake loses points for their national championship in field hockey. :frown:

Email incoming...
06-19-2003 09:21 PM
T-Monay820
Unregistered

nate jonesacc Wrote:Duke has won the Carlyle Cup 2 out of 3 times, but wasn't ahead of UNC in the Sears Cup...
If I've got my notes correct, then the reason for this is that the Carlyle Cup only compares Duke-UNC matchups and not the whole season.
06-19-2003 11:06 PM
T-Monay820
Unregistered

Lucy Wrote:Okay, I'm done. :D

There are 11 Sears Cup sports in which EVERY ACC school competes (football is excluded from the Sears Cup standings at the Div. 1-A level because there is no definitive end of season ranking...one more reason for a playoff/national championship system, but I digress):

Men's Cross Country
Women's Cross Country
Women's Volleyball
Men's Track & Field
Women's Track & Field
Men's Basketball
Women's Basketball
Men's Golf
Men's Tennis
Women's Tennis
Baseball

Using the points given to each school for these sports on the Sears Cup final standings, here are the ACC rankings:

UNC - 490.8
Duke - 413.5
Clemson - 299.5
NC State - 294.5
GT - 277.3
Wake - 268
FSU - 233.5
Virginia - 150
Maryland - 75.5

As you can see, quite a variation from the overall Sears Cup standings...mainly because of the different non-revenue sports that our schools choose to participate in. GT & Clemson do not have women's golf, FSU & GT do not have men's soccer, GT doesn't have women's soccer, Wake doesn't have any swimming/ diving. On the other end of the spectrum, Duke & UNC are the only ones offering fencing, Maryland, UNC & NC State are the only ones with women's gymnastics.

I have an Excel spreadsheet with all of this broken down by school & Sears Cup sport and it is also color-coded to show what sports each school participates in and what sports all schools participate in. I would be happy to email this spreadsheet to anyone who is interested...just send me a PM with your email address.
Bravo on an excellent presentation. 04-bow
06-19-2003 11:08 PM
Advertisement

nate jonesacc
Unregistered

T-Monay820 Wrote:
nate jonesacc Wrote:Duke has won the Carlyle Cup 2 out of 3 times, but wasn't ahead of UNC in the Sears Cup...
If I've got my notes correct, then the reason for this is that the Carlyle Cup only compares Duke-UNC matchups and not the whole season.
You're correct... but for the gap between the two in the Sears Cup vs. the Carlyle Cup... it's very inconsistent. I know it's only based on one matchup, but that matchup should be a decent indicator. And... many of the sports play multiple games... basketball, baseball etc....
06-20-2003 08:41 AM
Upper Deck Chevy
Unregistered

Wow, excellent work Lucy!

- State and Clemson ended up higher than I thought they would be (due to golf and XC I'd imagine?)
- The closest thing we have to a definitive ranking in football is the BCS; It'd be interesting to see what this looked like with football thrown in using the BCS rankings to calculate points.
06-23-2003 07:09 AM
Upper Deck Chevy
Unregistered

Lucy Wrote:(football is excluded from the Sears Cup standings at the Div. 1-A level because there is no definitive end of season ranking...one more reason for a playoff/national championship system, but I digress)
I was able to find the points for Div. 1-A football in this table: <a href='http://graphics.fansonly.com/confs/nacda/graphics/0203D1FinalFallStand.PDF' target='_blank'>http://graphics.fansonly.com/confs/nacda/g...alFallStand.PDF</a>

Including those would push State past Clempson :D
06-23-2003 06:55 PM
Lucy
Unregistered

Upper Deck Chevy Wrote:Wow, excellent work Lucy!

- State and Clemson ended up higher than I thought they would be (due to golf and XC I'd imagine?)
- The closest thing we have to a definitive ranking in football is the BCS; It'd be interesting to see what this looked like with football thrown in using the BCS rankings to calculate points.
Not as excellent as I'd hoped :frown:...I completely missed where Sears Cup did include points for Division 1-A football, so I have edited my original post to reflect the points that FSU, MD, State & Virginia received for finishing in the top 25.

Regarding State & Clemson's finishes: State did get points for both XC teams; Clemson got points for both tennis teams. Clemson would have passed State in points had men's & women's soccer points counted... 03-wink
06-23-2003 06:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.