Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Fox voted no?
packfan888 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

I read that Mary Anne Fox was the swing vote that excluded BC. Have there been any articles explaining why NCST (Fox) voted no? This would probably be a done deal had BC been included. :bang:
06-26-2003 07:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

lilredridinghood Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Where did you hear that? I have not read anything to that affect but now I am going to go look and see what I can dig up......
06-27-2003 08:42 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lucy
Unregistered

<a href='http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/sports/6172195.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/spo...rts/6172195.htm</a>

Quote:There was apparently little serious talk of a 13-team league, but Boston College came closer than Syracuse to becoming the 12th team, the ACC source told The Observer.

A proposal to add Boston College, Virginia Tech and Miami for a 12-team league could only muster an unofficial 6-3 vote, with Duke, North Carolina and N.C. State dissenting.

Virginia had already been persuaded to vote "yes," apparently pacified by the inclusion of Virginia Tech.

Then N.C. State Chancellor Marye Anne Fox changed her vote to "yes" when a two-team expansion to an 11-team league was broached, the ACC source said. Fox's swing vote, in effect, allowed for expansion but kept Boston College out of the ACC.
06-27-2003 09:07 AM
Quote this message in a reply
lilredridinghood Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

First, thanks Lucy.

you know I am glad she voted no. I am also glad that VT was included. I am pretty sure that a 3rd school will come to fruitation or why would ANYONE vote yes? BC is a "northern school" and I think the ACC should aviod that. It is not a good fit (just my opinion).

I am also glad that this is not 100% driven by the almighty dollar. We will see what happens but hopefully everyone will see that NOT jumping and just doing something to do it was a good decision.
06-27-2003 10:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lucy
Unregistered

I'm another who was not in favor of BC or Syracuse. Once I realized expansion was going to happen, I thought Miami was a natural choice...and Virginia Tech another. VT has relationships academically & athletically with many of the ACC schools, so the familiarity and the geographic proximity make it a good fit.

While I would have preferred just adding Miami, the inclusion of VT indicates that the addition of a 12th team is still likely to occur. How about UCF as a darkhorse possibility?
06-27-2003 11:08 AM
rocketfootball
Unregistered

Lucy Wrote:I'm another who was not in favor of BC or Syracuse. Once I realized expansion was going to happen, I thought Miami was a natural choice...and Virginia Tech another. VT has relationships academically & athletically with many of the ACC schools, so the familiarity and the geographic proximity make it a good fit.

While I would have preferred just adding Miami, the inclusion of VT indicates that the addition of a 12th team is still likely to occur. How about UCF as a darkhorse possibility?
Not that I want to see them leave the MAC, but UCF would be a very good choice for a 12th school.

What about East Carolina? Does that just make too many Carolina schools?
06-27-2003 11:14 AM
Advertisement

JD Heel
Unregistered

rocketfootball Wrote:What about East Carolina?&nbsp; Does that just make too many Carolina schools?
Yes. The NC schools won't allow it because they don't want to further dilute their recruting base (it's hard enough recruiting against three other ACC schools from the state, plus the ones from surrounding states).

I really doubt that any other ACC schools will go for it, because they are worried about expanding to new TV markets and pulling power away from NC. Adding ECU does neither.

Plus, they are a marginal athletic and academic school.

-JD
06-27-2003 11:21 AM
Lucy
Unregistered

rocketfootball Wrote:What about East Carolina? Does that just make too many Carolina schools?
And the non-Carolina schools would definitely not go for the idea of making the "Big 4" the "Big 5".
06-27-2003 12:01 PM
lilredridinghood Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

I would rather we did not elect another Florida school either (after Miami). I would think in a whole nother market, a different direction. No NC, no FL.

The 2 points of the growth are
1) Spread into new/different market for TV coverage
2) 12 SCHOOLS for football season.
06-27-2003 10:20 PM
XX2 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

I'm starting to wonder if some people aren't just lost in a world of their own. :rolleyes:

The Canes spent months hammering out a deal to join the ACC. That deal included BC & Syracuse. Before you all hurt yourselves trying to figure out who school #12 is going to be ... you may want to do another head count.

Canes = not happy
06-28-2003 01:43 AM
lilredridinghood Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

well we will see what happens. You are right, they may be unhappy, but I sure am a lot happier that our conference decided to do what is best rather than do whatever Miami told us too.

There are a lot of people involved in this and no one should attempt to be the bully on the block. Syracuse and BC ARE NOT A GOOD FIT. If being in a league with NCState, FSU, Wake, Maryland and the other great school is not enough for Miami then they should not come. I am willing to bet there are few good schools who would.

ACC= bigger than MIAMI :rolleyes:
06-28-2003 08:55 AM
Advertisement

XX2 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

lilredridinghood: As a main bankroller for an expanded ACC, I think we have a right to have our concerns addressed. Miami is bringing gobs of cash to the table ... money that the ACC is counting on to make expansion profitable ... N.C. State is just sucking on the teat of the FSU football cash cow.

And don't think for 1 second that FSU hasn't taken note of that.

They made 1 request in return for carrying the conference for a decade ... and you are on the verge of screwing it up.

[quote]If being in a league with NCState, FSU, Wake, Maryland and the other great school is not enough for Miami then they should not come.
06-28-2003 09:56 AM
georgia_tech_swagger
Unregistered

*slaps forehead*

Oh you T.R. people.

It's further from Duke to Miami than Duke to Boston. What is the geographical difference? An extra 45 minutes on the plane. OH THE HUMANITY!!

Does it fit with the southern style the ACC has? No.
Does it fit with everybody's pocketbooks tapping into the Boston/NY market? Hell yes!!

COLLEGE FOOTBALL IS MONEY. It has been for some time. It's the facts of the game. Please, nobody hand me that moral education high ground bulls***.

Why is college football a buisness? That's what the fans have made it. Anybody here happy going 5-6? I didn't think so.

I'm a realist. Please NC schools, keep in touch with reality.
06-28-2003 11:24 PM
XX2 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:It's further from Duke to Miami than Duke to Boston. What is the geographical difference? An extra 45 minutes on the plane. OH THE HUMANITY!!
georgia_tech_swagger: I heard it through the grapevine that Duke, N.C. & State are going to refuse to participate in the NCAA basketball tournament starting this coming season because of all the travel involved. 03-wink
06-29-2003 06:57 AM
lilredridinghood Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Well, see I never downplayed the impact that Miami would have and how much this merger would financially boost everyone. What I did say was.....

I don't think the Northern schools are a good fit. I never indicated that it was due to travel because in my mind it is not. It is about some tradition. I am sure that NOBODY cares about that here in this thread because the only stats being thrown my way are $$$$. My point was, this is NOT just about money to everyone involved. Sure it is about money. I am not saying that it isn't. It is just clear that that is not the only deciding factor.

I think that is a breath of fresh air for college sports. The ACC is a great division that Miami should be proud to have been invited to join. Just as we will be honored if they accept.
06-30-2003 08:19 AM
XX2 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

You're right, it isn't about money for everyone involved. In the case of the Carolina Cartel ... it's about maintaining their grip on power at the expense of the other schools in the ACC.

I guess you should be congratulated. The Cartel somehow manages to remain in control despite the fact that you all have pathetic football programs.
06-30-2003 05:11 PM
Advertisement

roxborobluedevil Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

rocketfootball Wrote:
Lucy Wrote:I'm another who was not in favor of BC or Syracuse.&nbsp; Once I realized expansion was going to happen, I thought Miami was a natural choice...and Virginia Tech another.&nbsp; VT has relationships academically & athletically with many of the ACC schools, so the familiarity and the geographic proximity make it a good fit.&nbsp;

While I would have preferred just adding Miami, the inclusion of VT indicates that the addition of a 12th team is still likely to occur.&nbsp; How about UCF as a darkhorse possibility?
Not that I want to see them leave the MAC, but UCF would be a very good choice for a 12th school.

What about East Carolina? Does that just make too many Carolina schools?
UCF & ECU? We want good teams, not no-good mid-major scrubs. Neither of those 2 are ACC caliber schools.
06-30-2003 07:13 PM
Paul
Unregistered

[quote="roxborobluedevil"] [quote="rocketfootball"] [quote="Lucy"] I'm another who was not in favor of BC or Syracuse.
07-01-2003 03:55 AM
lilredridinghood Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

XX2 Wrote:You're right, it isn't about money for everyone involved. In the case of the Carolina Cartel ... it's about maintaining their grip on power at the expense of the other schools in the ACC.

I guess you should be congratulated. The Cartel somehow manages to remain in control despite the fact that you all have pathetic football programs.
oh you are so right..... we suck @ football.
oh and you are correct, WE manhandled the situation to included VT.

Oh and your post DOESN'T sound like a whiney brat who is kicking dirt.

03-puke
07-01-2003 08:25 AM
Upper Deck Chevy
Unregistered

Paul Wrote:btw...Isn't Fox on the Notre Dame Board of Trustees!
Yes... for <a href='http://www.notredamecollege.edu/' target='_blank'>Notre Dame College</a>
07-02-2003 12:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.