Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Jim Rome on Jay Will Accident
roxborobluedevil Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

"Chicago Bulls guard Jay Williams broke his leg in a motorcycle accident on Friday. The report as of now is that Williams will be out next season and his career is in jeopardy.

Not that I expect any Duke player to live up to their hype and a productive NBA career but Jay Williams
06-30-2003 07:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

roxborobluedevil Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

OK, my first question for Rome is how can you put this against Duke's success in the NBA? It's not like Jay meant to go out there & wreck his motorcycle. This isn't the time to be using this against Williams or Duke University anyway. Now to my next question... What is so wrong with a professional athlete riding a motorcycle? I don't get how he is restricted to ride 1, when people of from millions of other professions ride them. I personally know several very successful professional people who love to ride their motorcycles. They are intelligent, responsible, family men. What makes it so different for Williams? Now I don't get what Rome means by "partial education." Jay Williams has a 4-year graduates degree from Duke University. What is so partial about that? Rome & Mariotti fall into the same category. They both do a poor job at their chosen profession so they have to compensate by writing/saying things that are often without taste and class just to be recognized. :chair:
06-30-2003 07:05 PM
Terpy
Unregistered

The Bike that Jay Williams was riding wasnt your average co-workers motorcycle, it was a bike that was built for going very very fast speeds that are not at all safe...or legal. There is a reason as to why many of his teammates warned him about buying the bike and that many professional sports contracts stipulate that athletes are not to ride these bikes they are extremely dangerous and people get in life threatening accidents on them all the time. You Dukies have to understand that the Chicago Bulls have millions of dollars invested in this guy, he shouldnt go and ruin their investment driving wrecklessly on a bike he didnt have a liscence to ride. I believe that what people like Mariotti/Jim Rome are doing is very appropriate and even Important, perhaps if more athletes know about what Jay Willaims did and know that it was wrong and career threatening they wont do it. Not only did it cost the Bulls millions of dollars it also in all likelyhood cost Williams millions of dollars that he could have made after his current contract expired. Absolutely nothing good came out of him going on that bike and he and everyone involved in pro sports should be aware of it to prevent it from happening again. No one knows at what speed he was travelling on that bike but anyone with a bit of common sense would know that it certainly wasnt a safe speed. It was no one but Williams' fault and these guys are absolutely doing the right thing by making an example out of him.
06-30-2003 09:04 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

nate jonesacc
Unregistered

I'm sure you've never made a mistake, Terpy.
06-30-2003 09:41 PM
roxborobluedevil Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

See, that's another that kills me. That is all sports are about these days, MONEY! Nobody cares that the guy is living, all people are worried about is money. I'm just Jay Williams was more concerned about his life when he wrecked that bike than he was some money. Another thing Terpy, can you prove to me that he was going at an unsafe speed? Is everyone who gets an automobile accident going at an unsafe speed? You are just heartless & are just like so many others in the sports world, concerned about nothing but money. Money has already messed up professional sports, now we are seeing that it's doing the same thing to college sports with all this expansion crap, the whole deal was about money, no tradition was considered at all except by Duke, UNC & NC State- the 3 schools who have more tradition than any other schools in this conference. Give me a break, be concerned about the guy walking correctly again, not about his or the Chicago Bulls money.
07-01-2003 09:21 AM
Advertisement

Terpy
Unregistered

Your bike doesnt cork screw around a telephone pole if you are traveling at a safe spead...
07-01-2003 12:13 PM
nate jonesacc
Unregistered

Terpy Wrote:Your bike doesnt cork screw around a telephone pole if you are traveling at a safe spead...
Wow... another Terp fan who knows everything... :rolleyes:
07-01-2003 01:34 PM
Advertisement

Jenibu
Unregistered

roxborobluedevil Wrote:OK, my first question for Rome is how can you put this against Duke's success in the NBA? It's not like Jay meant to go out there & wreck his motorcycle. This isn't the time to be using this against Williams or Duke University anyway. Now to my next question... What is so wrong with a professional athlete riding a motorcycle? I don't get how he is restricted to ride 1, when people of from millions of other professions ride them. I personally know several very successful professional people who love to ride their motorcycles. They are intelligent, responsible, family men. What makes it so different for Williams? Now I don't get what Rome means by "partial education." Jay Williams has a 4-year graduates degree from Duke University. What is so partial about that? Rome & Mariotti fall into the same category. They both do a poor job at their chosen profession so they have to compensate by writing/saying things that are often without taste and class just to be recognized. :chair:
Quote:What is so wrong with a professional athlete riding a motorcycle?

Riding a motorcycle puts them in danger of injuring themselves and since being healthy is a main requirement for their job, doing something that could harm that isn't a good idea. I've read in some pro. athlete's contracts that they aren't even allowed to go hiking or swimming (usually this is baseball players) without permission. I agree that it seems a little unfair that people in other professions aren't questioned when they ride motorcycles, but if a businessman breaks his leg he will still be able to perform most of his job duties. If a basketball player breaks his leg, however, he can't perform his job duties until the leg is healed.

Quote:Now I don't get what Rome means by "partial education." Jay Williams has a 4-year graduates degree from Duke University. What is so partial about that?

People tend to poke fun at the fact that Duke "graduates" players in three years, so I'm guessing that's what Rome is doing. (the quotations are there because that's how some people feel about these degrees)

And as to what Terpy is saying, I did read in the Post today that JWilly did have a bike that was for more experienced riders. I don't know if that means it goes faster or not, I'll have to check it out.
07-01-2003 10:54 PM
Terpy
Unregistered

Ahh Jenibu, always the level headed peace keeper among us. :wave:
07-02-2003 01:33 PM
Advertisement

DamascusTerp2
Unregistered

nate jonesacc Wrote:
Terpy Wrote:Your bike doesnt cork screw around a telephone pole if you are traveling at a safe spead...
Wow... another Terp fan who knows everything... :rolleyes:
are you going to deny what he said, or just act like you know as well...
07-04-2003 06:02 PM
Jenibu
Unregistered

Terpy Wrote:Ahh Jenibu, always the level headed peace keeper among us. :wave:
:thumb:
07-06-2003 12:40 AM
gmaniac1
Unregistered

Not that I wish Jay Williams any harm but, the Duke fans would be all over Maryland with their insensitivities for less.
07-28-2003 08:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.