Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

NTR - Can you recommend a family optometrist?
Bookmark and Share
PouncerFan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UM & BU Bears
NTR - Can you recommend a family optometrist?
I've bounced around every couple of years ggetting my eyes checked and glasses/contact prescription, and I am really looking for anyone who comes highly recommended, maybe you have been a patient there for a long time or is a friend. My kids have not started going yet, but I imagine they will within the next few years so I was hoping to find one who treats the whole family. Thanks in advance! If they happen to have an office in East Memphis, Collierville, Cordova, or Germantown, that would be the closest. Any Tiger Supporters are also welcome! 04-rock
08-20-2006 06:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

missjtiger Offline
KOKO'S MOMMA/D.J.'S MOMS
Jersey Retired

I Root For: MEMPHIS TIGERS

Crappies

If you want to make the trip down to Olive Branch I highly recommend Olive Branch Eye Care. Dr. Parker and Dr. Sean Aldinger are the doctors there. They are both young, energetic and have all the up to date equipment you could ever need. I use Sean and he is excellent and a family friend. They are located at 6947 Crumpler Blvd. (the street to the right of Kroger). phone # is 662-893-3300
08-20-2006 06:34 PM
tigertommy Offline
Uber Butthead!

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Your best bet would be any of the walmart stores if you are so set on getting your presription changed everytime your glasses break. I've had my same prescription for 10 years and when my glasses break I go to lenscrafters and have new glasses made from my old glasses. I was told they stopped doing that but I don't know why since I see better than most people when checking how far someone can read a sign. I think the eyedoctors get you set up on a steady plan of degenerative eyesight and always put you into the next worst setting which is why you always have to adjust and have headaches when you get new glasses from them.
08-20-2006 07:38 PM
bourbonreb Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
Re: NTR - Can you recommend a family optometrist?
TigerPride Wrote:I've bounced around every couple of years ggetting my eyes checked and glasses/contact prescription, and I am really looking for anyone who comes highly recommended, maybe you have been a patient there for a long time or is a friend. My kids have not started going yet, but I imagine they will within the next few years so I was hoping to find one who treats the whole family. Thanks in advance! If they happen to have an office in East Memphis, Collierville, Cordova, or Germantown, that would be the closest. Any Tiger Supporters are also welcome! 04-rock

I recommend the clinic at the Southern College of Optometry. They are among the best in their field, and they are actually cheaper than everywhere else. We're lucky to have one of the top optometry colleges in the country here in Memphis. If you don't want to go that far into town, Costco is also great and cheap. They were top rated by Consumer Reports.
08-20-2006 07:44 PM
tigerloyal Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
CrappiesCrappiesDonators

Glad to hear that about Costco's.
I have lots of friends who use them.
THanks.
08-20-2006 07:52 PM
tigertommy Offline
Uber Butthead!

bourbonreb Wrote:
TigerPride Wrote:I've bounced around every couple of years ggetting my eyes checked and glasses/contact prescription, and I am really looking for anyone who comes highly recommended, maybe you have been a patient there for a long time or is a friend. My kids have not started going yet, but I imagine they will within the next few years so I was hoping to find one who treats the whole family. Thanks in advance! If they happen to have an office in East Memphis, Collierville, Cordova, or Germantown, that would be the closest. Any Tiger Supporters are also welcome! 04-rock

I recommend the clinic at the Southern College of Optometry. They are among the best in their field, and they are actually cheaper than everywhere else. We're lucky to have one of the top optometry colleges in the country here in Memphis. If you don't want to go that far into town, Costco is also great and cheap. They were top rated by Consumer Reports.

Good points. You will worsen the downward spiral of eyesight if you constantly up you prescription. That is the main thing to remember.
08-20-2006 08:01 PM
Advertisement

Optimistic Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Dr. Brad Hines
The Optometry Group
He's in the shopping center right behind the Perkins (near Buster's).
Big Tiger Fan and alumnus!!!
08-20-2006 08:16 PM
PouncerFan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UM & BU Bears
tigertommy Wrote:Good points. You will worsen the downward spiral of eyesight if you constantly up you prescription. That is the main thing to remember.

Right, I knew that, thanks as that is good advice. My prescription hasn't changed in quite some time, and my company pays for yearly checkups. I am just trying to actually find someone who seems very knowledgeable and also has a great personality and geniunely interested in their patients, as I would like to be able to go to the same person each time and start taking the rest of the family there. It seems like the last few doctors were just shuffling people in and out with little or no conversation and a lack of interest in my questions. Thanks for the recommendations, please keep them coming!
08-20-2006 08:25 PM
thecoo1est Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

lenscrafters
08-20-2006 08:38 PM
beanburrito Offline
Bogey Golfer

TigerPride Wrote:
tigertommy Wrote:Good points. You will worsen the downward spiral of eyesight if you constantly up you prescription. That is the main thing to remember.

Right, I knew that, thanks as that is good advice. My prescription hasn't changed in quite some time, and my company pays for yearly checkups. I am just trying to actually find someone who seems very knowledgeable and also has a great personality and geniunely interested in their patients, as I would like to be able to go to the same person each time and start taking the rest of the family there. It seems like the last few doctors were just shuffling people in and out with little or no conversation and a lack of interest in my questions. Thanks for the recommendations, please keep them coming!

DR. Linda Tharp
1750 Madison
722-8598

Doctor Tharp is everything you are asking for in a doctor. I actually
stopped going to a family friend because she is so good. My wife and I have been patients for 6 years and I recommend her all the time.
I wish my other Doctors were as good as her.
08-20-2006 08:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy

tigertommy Wrote:Your best bet would be any of the walmart stores if you are so set on getting your presription changed everytime your glasses break. I've had my same prescription for 10 years and when my glasses break I go to lenscrafters and have new glasses made from my old glasses. I was told they stopped doing that but I don't know why since I see better than most people when checking how far someone can read a sign. I think the eyedoctors get you set up on a steady plan of degenerative eyesight and always put you into the next worst setting which is why you always have to adjust and have headaches when you get new glasses from them.

PLEASE DONT GO TO WALMART. I AM IN THE WHOLESALE OPTICAL BUSINESS WALMART IS THE WORST PLACE TO GO FOR THE HEALTH OF YOUR EYES. TRY DR JANICE BARR SHE IS A CUSTOMER OF MINE. HER OFFICE IS LOCATED OFF OF ESTATE DRIVE BETWEEN POPLAR AND PARK BEHIND COLONIAL PARJ METHODIST CHURCH. ANY REPEAT ANY INDEPENDENT OPTOMETRIST IS BETTER THAN ANY CHAIN STORE. BELIEVE ME I KNOW PEOPLE THAT ACTUALLY WORK AT WALMART THAT WONT GET THEIR GLASSES THERE. WALMART MAY OR MAY NOT BE CHEAPER BUT PAYING A LITTLE MORE IS BETTER WHEN YOU GET BETTER SERVICE FROM YOUR INDEPENDENT OPTOMETRIST.
08-21-2006 06:37 AM
Advertisement

HHammerhead Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Football

Donators

I HAVE TO SECOND THAT OPINION! OK, I won't yell at you, but going to Wal-Mart, Lenscrafters or any of the chain places is equivalent to going to Jiffy Lube to get your car serviced. If that's your thing, and short term expense is the most important thing to you, go for it. This is your eyesight we're talking about.

At a chain place (including Wal-Mart), you're going to be stuck with whoever's working that day. If the doctor you like moves on (and very few doctors are going to make Wal-Mart a career position) you're not likely to find them. Contrast that with an independent optometrist. They're in business for themselves, they have a vested interest in developing their practice and maintaining their patient base.

If you want a consistent, family optometrist. Go with an independently practicing doctor or small group. It sounds like you'll get what you are looking for that way.

If you're concerned about a strengthened prescription ruining your sight, discuss it directly with the doctor. 999 times out of 1000, they'll give you a straight answer that will help you make an informed decision about your eyesight. Good luck!
08-21-2006 08:05 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rolexjames Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

SCO is the absolute best. Linda Tharpe is not bad either. SCO is just so thorough. They not only test sight but also the health of your eye. I've used SCO since 1980. I went there for therapy to teach my brain how to use my left eye and have been going every since. The only time I didn't go was for 2 years when I used to see Linda who gave me my first contact lenses perscription. Both treated me really well, but for an exam SCO is the best.

I've bought glasses at Wal-Mart, Lenscrafters, at SCO and just about anywhere you can by glasses. I don't have a preference as far as buying glasses but I don't play when it comes to the exam.
08-21-2006 08:12 AM
tigerseyes Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

I would highly recommend The Optometry Group at Poplar and Highland, mainly because its my practice. If you are looking for excellent service and top of the line technology, we are your place. Plus, we are Memphis alums, and are big supporters of the athletic department. We handle all of the eyecare for the athletes. I promise you that you wont find a better office in the city.
08-21-2006 09:46 AM
TigerLou Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

I'd also recommend Dr. Brad Hines at The Optometry Group (I'm sure tigerseyes is great, also).
08-21-2006 11:42 AM
tigergreen Offline

I Root For: MEMPHIS

rolexjames Wrote:SCO is the absolute best. Linda Tharpe is not bad either. SCO is just so thorough. They not only test sight but also the health of your eye. I've used SCO since 1980. I went there for therapy to teach my brain how to use my left eye and have been going every since. The only time I didn't go was for 2 years when I used to see Linda who gave me my first contact lenses perscription. Both treated me really well, but for an exam SCO is the best.

I will say that I went to SCO for a long time, and they never caught that I had really bad astigmatism in one eye....it took going to a new doctor (who my insurance no longer covers) for that to get discovered.

I may give Linda Tharp a try, since so many people are speaking highly of her.
08-21-2006 11:54 AM
Advertisement

HHammerhead Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Football

Donators

tigerseyes Wrote:I would highly recommend The Optometry Group at Poplar and Highland, mainly because its my practice. If you are looking for excellent service and top of the line technology, we are your place. Plus, we are Memphis alums, and are big supporters of the athletic department. We handle all of the eyecare for the athletes. I promise you that you wont find a better office in the city.

Way to speak up, and thanks for supporting the Tigers! I hope you get some business out of it!
08-21-2006 01:02 PM
ifiwereatigerfanidhateust Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

calfan1 Wrote:
tigertommy Wrote:Your best bet would be any of the walmart stores if you are so set on getting your presription changed everytime your glasses break. I've had my same prescription for 10 years and when my glasses break I go to lenscrafters and have new glasses made from my old glasses. I was told they stopped doing that but I don't know why since I see better than most people when checking how far someone can read a sign. I think the eyedoctors get you set up on a steady plan of degenerative eyesight and always put you into the next worst setting which is why you always have to adjust and have headaches when you get new glasses from them.

PLEASE DONT GO TO WALMART. I AM IN THE WHOLESALE OPTICAL BUSINESS WALMART IS THE WORST PLACE TO GO FOR THE HEALTH OF YOUR EYES. TRY DR JANICE BARR SHE IS A CUSTOMER OF MINE. HER OFFICE IS LOCATED OFF OF ESTATE DRIVE BETWEEN POPLAR AND PARK BEHIND COLONIAL PARJ METHODIST CHURCH. ANY REPEAT ANY INDEPENDENT OPTOMETRIST IS BETTER THAN ANY CHAIN STORE. BELIEVE ME I KNOW PEOPLE THAT ACTUALLY WORK AT WALMART THAT WONT GET THEIR GLASSES THERE. WALMART MAY OR MAY NOT BE CHEAPER BUT PAYING A LITTLE MORE IS BETTER WHEN YOU GET BETTER SERVICE FROM YOUR INDEPENDENT OPTOMETRIST.

I'll second the Janice Barr referral. She has been our families optometrist for over a decade (until moving to Charlotte). Last time I got my gontacts and glasses updated from her it was like $150. a Year later here in charlotte, it was almost $500.
08-21-2006 01:57 PM
MemphisMike Offline
Just trying to keep you informed

Dr. William E. White on Summer Ave. near White Station. He was my best friend during elementary and Jr. High school. He's also a Tiger!
08-21-2006 02:21 PM
Skinny but Dangerous Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: the Tigers

Go with Dr. Hines.
08-21-2006 02:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.