For all you Michelle Wie fans...
Bookmark and Share
JTiger Offline
Grand Master Sexaaayyyy

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
For all you Michelle Wie fans...
She's not looking good yet again in a mens tournament

http://www.golf.com/gdc/tourcentral/lead...d=R2006030

Currently +3 through 5. Maybe she'll get it going but it's not looking good against a weak field this week.
07-13-2006 12:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

AyatollahofRockNRolla Offline
1st String

I Root For:
huh?
"not looking good"?

Give me a break. A 16-year-old girl shoots 77 on the PGA Tour and that is "not looking good"? She beat or tied Bob May and was right even with Carlos Franco and Phil Tataurangi. A PGA Tour winner like that shoots 77 and nobody notices. Wie does it and the nayayers say things like she's "not looking good".

She's an amazing talent.
07-14-2006 12:45 PM
JTiger Offline
Grand Master Sexaaayyyy

Re: huh?
AyatollahofRockNRolla Wrote:"not looking good"?

Give me a break. A 16-year-old girl shoots 77 on the PGA Tour and that is "not looking good"? She beat or tied Bob May and was right even with Carlos Franco and Phil Tataurangi. A PGA Tour winner like that shoots 77 and nobody notices. Wie does it and the nayayers say things like she's "not looking good".

She's an amazing talent.

The difference is that those guys have won and she hasn't. Also, those players you mentioned haven't been competetive in quite some time. If she was ahead of someone in the top 20, I might be impressed. I think she needs to concentrate on her own tour right now and come back and give it a shot when she gets better. Face it, she can't compete with the men, just like Annika couldn't.
07-14-2006 02:00 PM
1st String

I Root For:
Re: huh?
JTiger Wrote:The difference is that those guys have won and she hasn't. Also, those players you mentioned haven't been competetive in quite some time. If she was ahead of someone in the top 20, I might be impressed. I think she needs to concentrate on her own tour right now and come back and give it a shot when she gets better. Face it, she can't compete with the men, just like Annika couldn't.

You have never heard me say she can compete with male PGA Tour pros.

Michelle Wie will play in her maximum this year on the LPGA Tour. "I think she needs to concentrate on her own tour right now"? She is concentrating on it every week she is allowed to play. And doing quite well.
07-14-2006 02:30 PM
rcmfuzzy Offline
Stupendousman

I Root For: Memphis

everyone has their days off, even Tiger and his get even more critical.
Wie has done better and will continue to get better. these days happen to everyone sometime during the year. she most likely won't finish top 5 or 10 anytime soon with the men, but its aparent she can compete
07-14-2006 02:36 PM
Advertisement

JTiger Offline
Grand Master Sexaaayyyy

I think she has great potential to compete with the men when her game, mental and physical, get better. It's not there yet, but look forward to her getting there. I'm hard on her only because people act like she is the next tiger woods and she hasn't won a tournament yet.
07-14-2006 02:45 PM
Tigerbert Offline
Accept no substitutes

I Root For: Tiger Nation

JTiger Wrote:I think she has great potential to compete with the men when her game, mental and physical, get better. It's not there yet, but look forward to her getting there. I'm hard on her only because people act like she is the next tiger woods and she hasn't won a tournament yet.

I can agree with that. I mean, heaping " Woods-like" expectations on a 16-year old is tough. I'll say this for her, ( and it's like you said) once her game matures I think she'll do really well in the LPGA. Even if she id struggling against the men she is still playing against some tough competition. That's only going to make her better.
07-14-2006 10:15 PM
1st String

I Root For:
Wie
JTiger Wrote:I think she has great potential to compete with the men when her game, mental and physical, get better. It's not there yet, but look forward to her getting there. I'm hard on her only because people act like she is the next tiger woods and she hasn't won a tournament yet.

There's no accounting for what other people have told you, but I know she is light years ahead of Tiger Woods at age 16. Of course, women mature much faster physically than men do so we aren't talking apples.

I am as big of a Wie backer as there is, but I don't see her future at all the way you do. I see very little physical upside to her game and little chance of enjoying success against male pros. Give her a ton of chances and she can surely make a cut. So what?

She hasn't won a tournament yet? I guess being the youngest ever to win a USGA event open to adults doesn't count. If you mean an LPGA event, nobody her age has ever won on the LPGA or PGA Tour. When she closes the deal for her first she will likely be the youngest ever. And like David Duval, when the first hits she might go on a roll.

Pretty lofty expectations to expect her to do something nobody else has done, don't ya' think?

I went out to see her play when she was 13 or 14. She was paired with Creamer. Both made the US Open through the qualifier, although Wie needed a playoff. Nothing she has done since has indicated that she won't be a major player when she hits her prime.
07-14-2006 10:19 PM
Tigerbert Offline
Accept no substitutes

I Root For: Tiger Nation
Re: Wie
AyatollahofRockNRolla Wrote:. Nothing she has done since has indicated that she won't be a major player when she hits her prime.

I don't think anybody disagrees with that statement.
07-15-2006 04:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.