Open TigerLinks

Superman Returns non-spoiler review
Bookmark and Share
yakko Offline
More than meets the eye!

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

NCAAbbs LUGDonators
Superman Returns non-spoiler review
I saw the premier of Superman Returns last night on the Muvico "Giant Screen." It started at about 10:30 (after previews and commercials) and ended a little after 1am. I got home around 2, and actually made it to work at a decent time this morning. It was wierd going to the movie alone, but it was definately cheaper. :)

I really liked the movie. It didn't beat Superman I or II in my opinion, but it was better than III, and IV was an abominination I'm trying to forget. The movie directly tied into I and II as well. They reference things such as the Superman/Lois flying scene from I and Luthor knows about the Fortress of Solitude and the crystal thingies from that movie too. The music was fantastic, John Ottman did it, not John Williams as I originally thought, but they used Williams' score and apart from the main theme it was pretty much new stuff with themes from the old score sewn in. It works well. The story was fine, something I could see as a comic story by itself. Little things I thought would bother me, like Lois having a kid didn't bother me after all, surprisingly.

Another nice touch was the homages to several comic book visuals or storylines. There was a direct homage to the cover of Action Comics #1 (the first appearance of Superman), and a scene where Superman is in space looking down at earth that reminds me of a painting from Alex Ross, but I can't remember exactly what he did it for. There's storyline homages as well, but that would be spoiling some things.

Overall I'd give it a 4/5.
06-28-2006 09:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SteveCConway Offline
Memphis Psycho, er, I mean Administrator

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!

CrappiesFolding@NCAAbbs

I can't wait to see this movie. I've been waiting quite a while for a new Superman movie. Superman has been my favorite superhero since I was little....well, next to He-Man that is. lol

You would think that they would have tried to use Margot Kidder (the Lois Lane from movies 1-4) somewhere in this film.

They used the original Lois Lane from the 50's series towards the beginning, from what I understand.

If Christopher Reeve were still alive, I wonder if he would have gotten a bit part in this film.
06-28-2006 10:02 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
umbluegray Offline
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!

Is it worth the over-$300M price tag?
06-28-2006 10:39 AM
yakko Offline
More than meets the eye!

NCAAbbs LUGDonators

I believe they also used the actor that played Jimmy Olsen in the 50s show in a bit part as well.

And I don't know if any movie except for the LOTR trilogy is worth that much, but the effects in this movie were great, and didn't detract from the story at all.
06-28-2006 10:51 AM
Advertisement

rcmfuzzy Offline
Stupendousman

I Root For: Memphis

movie was very good. i saw it as well but i got out at 12:50am. movie had some good laughs as well
06-28-2006 11:02 AM
uofmwalton Offline
Legen.....wait for it......dary.

Folding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbs

umbluegray Wrote:Is it worth the over-$300M price tag?

That was a rumor...it's closer to $240Mish. Still a ton of money.

Anyway, I thought it was awesome. I went to the 10:01 at the Paradiso. They had the showings last night. All packed houses. The movie should have been shorter. Closer to 2 hours would have been better, imo. Kevin Spacey stole the show though.
06-28-2006 11:30 AM
Dino16 Offline
1st String

I'm sure the studio will think so. When you figure hype and the name alone should get $200 million at the box office; throw in merchandising, international box office, and DVD sales...they will definitely make more than their money back.
06-28-2006 11:37 AM
Advertisement

SteveCConway Offline
Memphis Psycho, er, I mean Administrator

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!

CrappiesFolding@NCAAbbs

uofmwalton Wrote:
Kevin Spacey stole the show though.

I have a hard time with Kevin Spacey playing a villain. He just doesn't seem the type. lol

Plus, to me Gene Hackman IS Lex Luthor. I hope Spacey did the role justice.
06-28-2006 03:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
uofmwalton Offline
Legen.....wait for it......dary.

Folding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbs

SCConway Wrote:
uofmwalton Wrote:

I have a hard time with Kevin Spacey playing a villain. He just doesn't seem the type. lol

I stand by my statement. I wish the writers had given him more. He was evil and funny. As much as I love Hackman, I enjoyed Spacey much more as LL.
06-28-2006 03:25 PM
yakko Offline
More than meets the eye!

NCAAbbs LUGDonators

I stand by his statement too. Spacey was awesome as Luthor.
06-28-2006 03:27 PM
Advertisement

As_It_Were Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

uofmwalton Wrote:
SCConway Wrote:
uofmwalton Wrote:

I stand by my statement. I wish the writers had given him more. He was evil and funny. As much as I love Hackman, I enjoyed Spacey much more as LL.

Yeah, Spacey topped Hackman as Lex Luthor.
06-28-2006 04:29 PM
RADFORD Offline
1st String

I Root For:

I totally geeked out for this movie. Dragged my wife to see it on a Wednesday night. Couldn't wait until the Weekend.

The visuals in the film were fantastic. The plot was ok. The acting of Brandan Routh and Kevin Spacey carry it. Routh was arguably the best superman so far.
06-30-2006 01:03 AM
Dino16 Offline
1st String

SCConway Wrote:I have a hard time with Kevin Spacey playing a villain. He just doesn't seem the type. lol

Did you forget about Kevin Spacey in Seven and as Kizer Soze in The Usual Suspects?
06-30-2006 07:44 AM
Advertisement

kabluey Offline
Heisman

Saw it last night. I'd give it a C+/B-. It was wayyy too long, and it seemed like they tried to make up for lost time by trying to do too much, appease too many contingents out there, that it distracted the focus of the movie. For me to go into more details would require me to give spoilers, which I don't want to do. I saw a couple of opportunities for the movie to stop, provide a decent ending, and lead to a good sequel. Then it just kept going, and going, and like LOTR3, gave many endings. The final actual ending was very anticlimactic, IMO.

If it was more tightly edited, it would've been a pretty good movie -- not at the level of either Spiderman, the first Batman, or the first two XMen, but pretty good.

There were some nice things though -- the timing and writing of some of the jokes were pretty good. Just that the good stuff couldn't overcome the bad.
07-01-2006 05:31 PM
TigerTitan Offline
Ginourmous Fan

I Root For: MEMPHIS TIGERS

DonatorsDonators

As_It_Were Wrote:
uofmwalton Wrote:
SCConway Wrote:
uofmwalton Wrote:

Yeah, Spacey topped Hackman as Lex Luthor.
Spacey as Luthor was MUCH meaner and scarier than Hackman!! I even commented to my teenage kids that this Luthor was a real bad ass.....but still just a big dummy (since Superman gets him in the end, as usual!). ;-)
07-02-2006 12:07 AM
klg316 Offline
Heisman

dino16 Wrote:
SCConway Wrote:I have a hard time with Kevin Spacey playing a villain. He just doesn't seem the type. lol

Did you forget about Kevin Spacey in Seven and as Kizer Soze in The Usual Suspects?

And don't forget Glengarry Glen Ross.
07-02-2006 04:49 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.