Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

10/27/03 BCS Poll Out
MsNole
Unregistered

FSU leaped over Georgia in this week's BCS poll to take 3rd place in the BCS poll. Not only that, but USC came in at #4 knocking Georgia down to #5.

Here's the top ten... :D

#1 Oklahoma
#2 Miami
#3 Florida State
#4 University of Southern California
#5 Georgia
#6 Ohio State
#7 LSU
#8 Washington State
#9 Nebraska
#10 Michigan State
10-27-2003 08:15 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

YouGeeAye Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Again (see GT board), I will quote Brad Edwards who writes for ESPN:

Quote:The point totals of these teams (FSU, USC, UGA, OhSt) are close enough that the order in which they fall is irrelevant.  FSU has almost no chance at getting its own quality-win points because every team on its schedule other than Miami already has at least three losses. There's a possibility the Seminoles won't have a single win over a team ranked in the final Top-25 polls this season. Georgia Tech (3 votes) is the only team FSU has beaten that is even receiving votes in this week's AP poll.

It pays to understand how the BCS poll's formula is derived. Unfortunately for UGA, margin of victory cost us a spot in the AP poll which subsequently cost us one spot in the BCS. If we had embarrassed UAB, we move to 3 in the AP and stay at 3 in the BCS. FSU would have still moved ahead of us. If UGA wins out the season (and that's a huge IF), our worries are definately NOT FSU.
10-27-2003 08:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MsNole
Unregistered

[quote="YouGeeAye"] Again (see GT board), I will quote Brad Edwards who writes for ESPN:

[quote]The point totals of these teams (FSU, USC, UGA, OhSt) are close enough that the order in which they fall is irrelevant.
10-28-2003 09:41 AM
Quote this message in a reply
luckydawg Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Did Phonetic UGA ever state that FSU was a "has-been"? I remember he posted a lot last season about having to play in the Sugar Bowl against a bad Seminoles team, but I don't think he ever said FSU was a "has-been".

Most certainly, Georgia blatantly attempted to replicate the Seminoles program by hiring Mark Richt 3 years ago. Considering that no Dawgs fan would trade Richt for any other coach alive or dead, I think it is safe to say no Dawgs fan thinks that FSU is all washed up.

I am very upset to see USC and FSU jump over the Dawgs in the BCS but I am not surprised. FSU has played great so far this season. And Southern Cal has all of those sportswriters in California behind them. I think Phonetic UGA is trying to point out that from this point forward, FSU's strength of schedule ratings will go down while Georgia's goes up. Assuming that both UGA and FSU win out the S.O.S. factor and the fact that Georgia would play an extra game in the SEC Championship should (emphasis on should) push the Dawgs ahead of FSU. I don't know that I agree with that assessment. I do think it is interesting to note the coaches who make up the voting board for the ESPN/USA Today weekly poll. Bobby Bowden gets to vote for his own team every week...Mark Richt doesn't get to vote at all.

One can only hope that our lackluster performance against UAB will not turn out to be the beginning of the end of our season the way losing to Louisville ruined the 2002 season for the 'Noles.

And that Ms. Nole is why they put the uniforms on every week and play the game.
10-28-2003 12:29 PM
Advertisement

YouGeeAye Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Quote:you have said repeatedly said that FSU is a has-been...
When on earth did I say this? Senility is a cruel thing.
10-28-2003 12:51 PM
metro6775 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

I have read this and have one question. Where in the world does the phonetic uga guy get his analysis of strength of schedule.

From what I can see:
UGA has Florida, Auburn, Kentucky, and GA Tech left.
FSU has Notre Dame, Clemson, NC State, and Florida left.

Florida and GA Tech are cancelled out because both teams play them.
That leaves Auburn (5-3) & Kentucky (4-4) vs Notre Dame (2-5), Clemson (5-3) & NC State (6-3).

Please explain how this gives UGA a better SOS.

I gotta say that if both teams win out, it looks like FSU has a good chance of finishing above UGA. The only disadvantage for FSU that I see is UGA will play in the SEC Title game.
10-28-2003 07:04 PM
YouGeeAye Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Metro...

A very important part of the equation that you mentioned but fail to see the implications of is that IF UGA makes the SEC Championship game, we will hopefully meet an 11-1 LSU. Whomever we meet will increase our schedule strength which will keep us ahead of FSU but probably not USC in the BCS.

That is not the "only" disadvantage. It is a HUGE disadvantage to FSU. Maybe one day the ACC will have a playoff and FSU can start losing to Miami again.
10-28-2003 11:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.