Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The better team won
kaisersayzo Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

OK Dukies...this is the official congrats from what would appear to be the only UMD fan in here. You came into our house and finally walked away with a well deserved win. You got 14 more offensive boards than we did and played pretty good defense in the first half. Allthough we held you to 33% from the field, JJ was a killer. Deng played a solid game and Duhon was his usual non-offensive threat.

The most impressive part of your teams effort was that you pulled out a win when we shot 10% better from the field than you (rebounds baby). The 14 extra offensive rebounds killed us. That alone turned the game around. Good job.

What I got out of last nights game is:

1) UMD is the better defensive team (33.8% from field, 11 blocks)
2) Duke is a better offensive team
3) Duke has the best 3 shooter in the history of the NCAA's
4) Duhon is clearly afraid of his own shot.
5) DJ will be guarding JJ for the rest of his college career.
6) Deng has some serious potential.
7) Jamar and Williams cancel themselves out.
8) JG can be a scorer and a passer (10 points, 7 assists)
9) NCM is a man-beast and completely under-rated (I'm sure he will get more attention at Cameron)
10) Horvath and Shav need to step up to help out the starting 5 or Duke will be exploited.
11) Next meeting will be just as fun to watch. I see a whole different game happening next time.

Good win guys!
01-22-2004 09:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Coach Doh
Unregistered

Pretty fair assesments.

I'm still not able to comprehend Duke's rebounding.........it's something I've never witnessed and I've been watching them a long time.

NCM is indeed a beast, had it not been for him it could have been very ugly. But that little reverse lay up he made when they showed the overhead camera shot was pure finesse.

The game was hard to watch, no one ever got into any kind of flow and that was due to the good individual matchups.

Strawberry is a great defender, it will be interesting to see what Duke does to free JJ up next time. You can bet Coach k is thinking about that right now.

Can you imagine the teams UMD and Duke will have if everyone stays another year or two?

I don't doubt that it will be an entirely different looking game next time.

Thanks,

doh
01-22-2004 02:05 PM
Quote this message in a reply
kaisersayzo Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Coach Doh Wrote:Pretty fair assesments.

I'm still not able to comprehend Duke's rebounding.........it's something I've never witnessed and I've been watching them a long time.

NCM is indeed a beast, had it not been for him it could have been very ugly. But that little reverse lay up he made when they showed the overhead camera shot was pure finesse.

The game was hard to watch, no one ever got into any kind of flow and that was due to the good individual matchups.

Strawberry is a great defender, it will be interesting to see what Duke does to free JJ up next time. You can bet Coach k is thinking about that right now.

Can you imagine the teams UMD and Duke will have if everyone stays another year or two?

I don't doubt that it will be an entirely different looking game next time.

Thanks,

doh
You know I was thinking the same thing. Since it is obvious that JJ can't shoot any closer than 21 to 50 feet (I'm not kidding) from the basket, DJ is going to be in his shoes. No offense to Duke, but last night was the JJ vs. UMD game. The rest of the players just kinda cleaned up (rather well I admit) after him and other players bad shots. You know Coach K is going to switch to the double screen for JJ next time in hopes to open him up for at least a split second. For Duke's sake, they better come up with some better offense if they plan to win the next one. JJ can only carry them until the other team realizes they need to shut him down. In this case, it was already to late for UMD (we waited way to long to put DJ on JJ).

It's funny, I work with a Dukie and even he couldn't understand how Duke outrebounded us (on our court no less). Hey, weirder things have happened (the 50 second miracle game?).

Do you think JJ will really stick around for next season? That kid is going to go high in the draft if he wants to. He already has adjusted his game for the pro 3 line. My guess is if Duke wins it all this year, he is gone. Just a guess.

As for the next couple years, I can't wait. Since it's obvious UMD is going to struggle this year, it's very unlikely we will loose anyone (accept Jamar of course). Duke might have problems if they loose JJ though. He really put Duke on his back this year. But hey, they are Duke and have nationally ranked recruits begging for a letter. UMD on the other hand will pick up a top 25 Deng-ish player by the name of James Gist 6-8 (inside-outside freak) and with the welcomed departure of 5-9 Collins this year we will have one more scholarship to give to either another top 25 PG or Big man. Put them with the likes of JG, NCM, Ebekwe, Jones, McCray, DJ and Garrison and we got us a team. Man oh man that is a defense. 6-3, 6-8, 6-9, 6-5, 6-5, 6-5, 6-8 and 6-8.

My prediction is UMD will be real strong next year and have a real chance of winning the ACC tourney when it ventures into our back yard. This year is all Duke.
01-22-2004 02:42 PM
nate jonesacc
Unregistered

Will you admit, Kaiser, that Duhon had a better game than Gilchrist last night?
01-22-2004 03:56 PM
kaisersayzo Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

nate jonesacc Wrote:Will you admit, Kaiser, that Duhon had a better game than Gilchrist last night?
If Duhon had a better game I would. Since the stats never lie...here you go fool.

Duhon

4-13 shooting, 0-2 from 3, 7 rebounds, 8 points, 8 assists (4 hand-off to JJ), 2 TO's in 40 minutes

JG

3-10 shooting, 1-3 from 3, 6 rebounds, 10 points, 7 assists, 4 TO's in 38 minutes.

Duhon has fewer turnovers and 1 more assist (cough cough). Gilcrist scored more, shot better, passed just as well, rebounded just as well in the same time as Duhon.

Sad thing is neither PG was very effective yet we are arguing this? If Gary would have let JG go crazy, I'm sure he would have scored 20-25 on Duhon. Duhon better? no way. And I say this on one of JG's worst performances of the year.
01-22-2004 05:05 PM
Advertisement

nate jonesacc
Unregistered

LOL... Do you realize how many of Gilchrist's assists were "hand-offs" to NCM, (twice), Jamar Smith once, Strawberry once and I'm sure there were others, just like Duhon had some "hand-offs" to JJ.

Duhon had more assists, more rebounds, less turnovers and more steals...

If stats never lie, why did you start with this "passed just as well, rebounded just as well" crap? LOOK AT THE STATS. He didn't do it just as well.
01-22-2004 06:40 PM
nate jonesacc
Unregistered

And most importantly, under Duhon, Duke found an offensive flow, unlike Maryland would had to make a 15 point run in the last 3 minutes to get back into the game (due to NCM).
01-22-2004 06:40 PM
kaisersayzo Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

nate jonesacc Wrote:LOL... Do you realize how many of Gilchrist's assists were "hand-offs" to NCM, (twice), Jamar Smith once, Strawberry once and I'm sure there were others, just like Duhon had some "hand-offs" to JJ.

Duhon had more assists, more rebounds, less turnovers and more steals...

If stats never lie, why did you start with this "passed just as well, rebounded just as well" crap? LOOK AT THE STATS. He didn't do it just as well.
Um yeah...like score and field goal percentage and overall stats. Duhon will have a better A/TO ratio all year. I will not argue that.

So you look at the stats that DUHON a SENIOR doesn't do as well as JG a SOPHMORE. If I were Duhon, I would be embarrassed that there are three other PG's in the league that get less press and better stats. These PG's shouldn't even be mentioned next to a senior.

As for your hand-off sh*t....save it. You know damn well JG pushed into the middle drawing defenses and dishing beautiful passes. Duhon got stuffed every time (accept once) he drove the lane. All other assists came from walking the ball up the court, dribbling past one pick set for a shooter and passing to JJ, and Ewing 21 feet from the basket. I could get those kind of stats.

Duhon will get great assist stats this year as long as JJ and Deng and Ewing are shooting so well from the outside. I'd love to see a stat for assists inside 10 feet. I think we both know Duhon wouldn't look so good.
01-23-2004 03:07 PM
kaisersayzo Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

nate jonesacc Wrote:And most importantly, under Duhon, Duke found an offensive flow, unlike Maryland would had to make a 15 point run in the last 3 minutes to get back into the game (due to NCM).
You are just stupid if you think either team had a flow. How the hell do you say Duke was in a flow shooting 33% from the field. You're a Duke blind moron. Is this the same flow that Duhon helped Duke go 0-12 during one stretch? Is this the same flow that had UMD within 3 after leading by 16. Is this the same flow that helped Duke to their lowest FG% and point total of the year? You are so stupid sometimes.

I find it especially funny that a Dukie is poking at a great player putting the game on their backs late in the game. Isn't that exactly what made Battier, Dunleavy, JWill, Laetner, etc the greatest players on their respective teams? Hypocrite!
01-23-2004 03:16 PM
Advertisement

nate jonesacc
Unregistered

Kaiser, Honestly I thought you were knowedgable about basketball until those last two posts.

Obviously you have never played or studied basketball in your life. It's sad.
01-23-2004 05:54 PM
nate jonesacc
Unregistered

And, as you said, the stats don't lie!!!
01-23-2004 05:54 PM
T-Monay820
Unregistered

kaisersayzo Wrote:So you look at the stats that DUHON a SENIOR doesn't do as well as JG a SOPHMORE. If I were Duhon, I would be embarrassed that there are three other PG's in the league that get less press and better stats. These PG's shouldn't even be mentioned next to a senior.
I think Duhon could care less about what his stats are, and more about how much he is helping his team. He does a lot that doesn't show up in the stat book. As long as his team is winning, he could care less if he made first team All-ACC. Shoot... If I had the choice between being called the POY or winning the NCAA Championship, I would choose the Championship.

Can I get a lay-up!?
01-23-2004 06:06 PM
nate jonesacc
Unregistered

It's obvious that Duhon is doing his role as a PG... and is getting lots of assists (#2 in ACC), steals (#2 in ACC) and isn't turning the ball over (#4 in assist/TO ratio).

AND, he has led this team to #1 in the ACC.

It's such a damn shame he can't score like Gilchrist! man, if only he could score and lead his team to a 1-3 record!
01-23-2004 06:24 PM
Advertisement

kaisersayzo Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

nate jonesacc Wrote:It's obvious that Duhon is doing his role as a PG... and is getting lots of assists (#2 in ACC), steals (#2 in ACC) and isn't turning the ball over (#4 in assist/TO ratio).

It's such a damn shame he can't score like Gilchrist! man, if only he could score and lead his team to a 1-3 record!
Actually Nate, I did play ball and I even coach a little. I am not attempting to say that Duhon isn't the leader of his #1 team. What I am saying is any other PG in the ACC could easily take his place. Just as simple as that. I would not say this a few years back when Duke actually ran an offense. If you knew anything about basketball you would realize the Coach K had dumbed down the offense for his young players (much like UMD). They run a very simple high screen (or double) %70 percent of the time. Speaking as a former PG, I can tell you that this is one of the most basic and effective plays if run successfully (as long as you have great shooters). This high screen creates a pick and roll situation that opens the center lane for Williams or an easy kick-out to a 3 shooter.

The simple fact that Duke has some serious shooters on their team makes Duhon look like Jesus Christ.

Now let me try to end this for you. I do think Duhon is a good leader and an un-selfish with the ball (perhaps because he can't shoot?). His A/TO ratio is outstanding and impressive. He will forever be regarded by the media as a great PG as long as Duke keeps winning. The question I have for you is how good would he be on FSU or Clemson or NC State, etc?

I think we all know the answer to that.

ps. please remember JWill lead your team in scoring and was a great PG.
01-26-2004 11:44 AM
nate jonesacc
Unregistered

kaisersayzo Wrote:
nate jonesacc Wrote:It's obvious that Duhon is doing his role as a PG... and is getting lots of assists (#2 in ACC), steals (#2 in ACC) and isn't turning the ball over (#4 in assist/TO ratio).

Actually Nate, I did play ball and I even coach a little. I am not attempting to say that Duhon isn't the leader of his #1 team. What I am saying is any other PG in the ACC could easily take his place. Just as simple as that. I would not say this a few years back when Duke actually ran an offense. If you knew anything about basketball you would realize the Coach K had dumbed down the offense for his young players (much like UMD). They run a very simple high screen (or double) %70 percent of the time. Speaking as a former PG, I can tell you that this is one of the most basic and effective plays if run successfully (as long as you have great shooters). This high screen creates a pick and roll situation that opens the center lane for Williams or an easy kick-out to a 3 shooter.

The simple fact that Duke has some serious shooters on their team makes Duhon look like Jesus Christ.

Now let me try to end this for you. I do think Duhon is a good leader and an un-selfish with the ball (perhaps because he can't shoot?). His A/TO ratio is outstanding and impressive. He will forever be regarded by the media as a great PG as long as Duke keeps winning. The question I have for you is how good would he be on FSU or Clemson or NC State, etc?

I think we all know the answer to that.

ps. please remember JWill lead your team in scoring and was a great PG.
This shows just how little you know about Duke basketball.

Duke has never run plays, or "an offense". Coach K has always run "sets"... a set is much different. If you have read "5 point play" you would know this.

You are right that the high screen can be very effective... The way it is very effective is if both your PG and your screener are great shooters. For example, Battier and JWill ran it to perfection because both could nail a three. Now, Duke has no big man who can nail that three with the consistency that Battier could. Duhon and Shelden run the pick and roll off the high screen extremely well, but unfortunately teams have started to run their defenses to stop this.

The high screen also doesn't work very well anymore, with the new hedging technique (which is very effective).

Speaking of Coach K... K knows Duhon is the most valuable player to this team, and has said so. He often credits Duhon for wins, and has told me personally that if it was crunch time the ball would automatically go to Duhon, because K trusts no one with the ball more than Chris. Honestly, I will take K's judgment over anyone's.

Duke has some serious shooters? You realize that only Ewing and Redick shoot 40% or better? And Ewing is exactly 40%. Duke also has Dockery, Randolph and Horvath who shoot ****** percentages, lowering Duhon's assist numbers?

What about last year, when no one on Duke shot above 40% from 3, and Duhon was STILL #2 in the ACC in assists? Huh?

How good would Duhon be at FSU, Clemson or NCSU? He might even be better because his role would be to score AND pass... His numbers would undoubtedly be better. as Duhon as proved, he CAN score, but he understands his role.

JWill was NOT a great PG. He didn't even play PG most of his career.
01-26-2004 03:53 PM
T-Monay820
Unregistered

nate jonesacc Wrote:Now, Duke has no big man who can nail that three with the consistency that Battier could. Duhon and Shelden run the pick and roll off the high screen extremely well, but unfortunately teams have started to run their defenses to stop this.

The high screen also doesn't work very well anymore, with the new hedging technique (which is very effective).
This is not entirely true. K has experimented using Deng on this, and the pick-and-roll can work against teams that are less experienced using the hedging technique.
01-26-2004 04:20 PM
nate jonesacc
Unregistered

Thomas, how many threes has Deng hit off of that play? It hasn't worked for him. Deng is a weird 3 point shooter... He only hits them off of the dribble or if someone is RIGHT in his face.
01-26-2004 06:22 PM
kaisersayzo Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

This shows just how little you know about Duke basketball.

Duke has never run plays, or "an offense". Coach K has always run "sets"... a set is much different. If you have read "5 point play" you would know this.

You are right that the high screen can be very effective... The way it is very effective is if both your PG and your screener are great shooters. For example, Battier and JWill ran it to perfection because both could nail a three. Now, Duke has no big man who can nail that three with the consistency that Battier could. Duhon and Shelden run the pick and roll off the high screen extremely well, but unfortunately teams have started to run their defenses to stop this.

Speaking of Coach K... K knows Duhon is the most valuable player to this team, and has said so. He often credits Duhon for wins, and has told me personally that if it was crunch time the ball would automatically go to Duhon, because K trusts no one with the ball more than Chris. Honestly, I will take K's judgment over anyone's.

Duke has some serious shooters? You realize that only Ewing and Redick shoot 40% or better? And Ewing is exactly 40%. Duke also has Dockery, Randolph and Horvath who shoot ****** percentages, lowering Duhon's assist numbers?

What about last year, when no one on Duke shot above 40% from 3, and Duhon was STILL #2 in the ACC in assists? Huh?

How good would Duhon be at FSU, Clemson or NCSU? He might even be better because his role would be to score AND pass... His numbers would undoubtedly be better. as Duhon as proved, he CAN score, but he understands his role.

JWill was NOT a great PG. He didn't even play PG most of his career. [/QUOTE]
Wow...good logic and I do agree with alot of what you said. The obvious thing you leave out is that Duke shoots more three's than any other team. JJ has taken 115 and Ewing has taken 75. If you know anything, shooting 40% + from three will net you a whole lot of points. This also creates prime rebounding opportunities from the dreaded long rebound. This explains a whole lot about why Duke is very effective every year.

Now your argument about Horvath, Dockery and Randolph lowering Duhon's assists is not only true but completely bull-sh*t. Every team has those players who lower the assist percentages. The problem with your argument is that those guys barely play. JG on the other hand has guys like Garrison, McCray, Ebekwe, and DJ lowering his percentages and I expect that.

As for the JWill not being a good PG...come on now. He has been tauted as the best PG who has ever come out of Duke. He was fast, dynamic and fearless. He was also a great shooter in the clutch. Save this crap for someone who is naive.

Now let me explain to you the "set" that get's JJ open so often. When a simple high-screen is being effectively hedged, Duke turns to a double screen which negates the hedge technique because of the inside threat it opens up. I will be the first to admit that Duke runs these plays extremely well. JJ has also finally learned how to throw a head fake, skip to the left and bury a three.

So call me what you like, but the game isn't all that complicated. Duke is well coached and has some extremely good shooters (Duhon is the exception). They have built a dynasty out of the three point shot and could teach other teams by example.
01-28-2004 11:13 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.