Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Prophecy
Bookmark and Share
kevster Offline
1st String

I Root For: Go Bucs!!! Back
Prophecy
I found this quote from the board in 2005, after Central Florida announced its move. Here's what one of their fans had to say:

I'd rather have my "butt" handed to me in CUSA than win the Setting Sun :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hmmmmm. It hurts, being on the other side of that fence.
05-09-2007 04:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Buc2002 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

What is it like to live in a world where pessimism is the drug of choice? Look, you can talk about how bad the conference is all day long, but the fact is we are in the A-Sun for at least four more seasons. Just try to enjoy it for what it is and let's win as much as we can.

While UCF fans may bash it, the league was their home for decades and their stay there led -- ultimately -- to a better conference.

Kevster, you are a one act pony and the show is getting tiresome. Seriously. You have been a fan during the best times of the 80s and 90s, just like me. The difference between us, though, is trying to make the most of the future and our current situation as ETSU fans -- which won't change no matter how much someone complains on this board.

Be a fan and a Buc. The fact you even admit to considering a change in alligence to UT puts your credibility as a true ETSU fan in doubt. A true Buc would never consider putting the Big Orange above the Blue and Gold. No matter what happened in the past or the future.
05-09-2007 05:17 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

I Root For: Justice

Good to see another fan brainwashed by ETSU propaganda.

Kev's a true Bucs fan. But like me and every other true Bucs fan, he doesn't appriciate being sold a bill of goods and they told to "make the best of it."

It's like that horrible commercial for the supermarket- "You tend to be thankful of what you do have instead of what you don't."

Look, it's not that I'm not thankful for the Ford Festiva I drive. But I would like to have a nicer car someday.

Actually, I think the best thing for ETSU is to lose, and lose A LOT. Only then will the apologists shut up and then maybe, MAYBE we can enforce some change.

It took ETSU football to drop to 12 wins in four years to bring in Mike Cavan. But, I guess you would have had ETSU "be thankful for the 1990 win against Marshall" and kept on Don Riley.

It took ETSU going 7-20 to bring in Ed DeChellis. But, I guess we should have been thankful for the two NCAAs under Alan LeForce and given him a lifetime contract!

Please!
05-10-2007 10:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ETSU
losing
Unfortunately I agree that it is going to take a lot more losing to get changes made. It is just so painful to sit and watch all the losses but yet they will probably let the status quo go on without dismal seasons. Sad.
05-10-2007 10:45 AM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Buc2002 Wrote:While UCF fans may bash it, the league was their home for decades and their stay there led -- ultimately -- to a better conference.

The conference is only 25 years old counting both names. It hasn't been home to anybody for "decades" not even Mercer who was a founding member.
05-10-2007 01:36 PM
BucinBama Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ETSU, UT

As easy as it is to bash the ASun, I still say the Southern isn't/wasn't much to write home about.

Since the TAAC/ASun came into existence in 1978, they have had 3 teams go on to Division IA football: Central Florida, Louisiana-Monroe, and Troy State. During the same period, the SoCon had one - Marshall.

The ASun is known for instability, but the SoCon is known for stagnation in the last 30 years.

I actually think being in the ASun will help remove inept leadership and cause some people to look for something better. Being in the SoCon seems to make people happy with the status quo.
05-10-2007 02:15 PM
Advertisement

kevster Offline
1st String

BucinBama Wrote:As easy as it is to bash the ASun, I still say the Southern isn't/wasn't much to write home about.

Since the TAAC/ASun came into existence in 1978, they have had 3 teams go on to Division IA football: Central Florida, Louisiana-Monroe, and Troy State. During the same period, the SoCon had one - Marshall.

The ASun is known for instability, but the SoCon is known for stagnation in the last 30 years.

I actually think being in the ASun will help remove inept leadership and cause some people to look for something better. Being in the SoCon seems to make people happy with the status quo.

I can't get over how pessimistic you are, Bama. Rather than try to fix the program, you've given in to "Golly Gee. Let's just be happy with what we've got. There's no hope for it to get better."

Such a pessimistic outlook helps me realize why our program is suffering.

By the way, I was teaching at Bowling Green University in Ohio this week. I noticed that, despite not having the campus, facilities, location, etc. that ETSU has going for it, they seem to do pretty well in athletics. No word of closing football or dropping down a level here. How ever do they afford it?
05-10-2007 06:45 PM
etsualumni00 Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

The way I look at it is, a true ETSU "fan" would want what's best for the school, not the current people who are destroying it's reputation. Sitting back and letting people do whatever they want just because they're administrators is not being a true fan if you asked me.
05-10-2007 08:15 PM
BucinBama Offline
Special Teams

I am not happy with where we are. Where did you get that idea? I was also not happy with the Southern and where it was going. It was becoming the small private Carolina conference. I was saying before football was gone that we should have joined with UTC and found us a real conference to join.

I really think being in the ASUN gives us a better chance to move up, and a better chance for a President and Athletic Director to get fired.

Things are looking up for me if you want to call that pessimistic so be it.
05-10-2007 08:16 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

I don't know. I think that people were happy in the Southern Conference because it was a good enough conference for a team to have a quality fan base and be respected.

I see your point, but I don't know if you judge a conference by "these teams left us to go to greener climes."
05-10-2007 09:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Buc Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

BucinBama Wrote:As easy as it is to bash the ASun, I still say the Southern isn't/wasn't much to write home about.

You can't be serious. Stagnate Football Conference? This is the conference who has 7 National champions and 8 runner-ups since 1978. The same conference that GSU (having won 4 national championships and 1 runner-up) left the TAAC for in 1992.

I can understand your point that joining the ASUN may make people realize how bad it has gotten but I can assure you when people think of the Southern Conference they think of GREAT football
05-10-2007 10:06 PM
Advertisement

kevster Offline
1st String

I had the same thought. I couldn't tell you the number of times I've watched a Southern Conference game on television and heard an announcer mention that the Southern could be a Division I conference, if it really wanted to be. The SEC and ACC would like to be able to count games against them as Division I wins, and many of their teams are better than a lot of teams in the smaller DI conferences.

It's that pessimistic thinking again . . .
05-11-2007 08:51 AM
BucinBama Offline
Special Teams

I am talking about the overall sports programs in the Southern. The Southern was good at IAA football in 1978 and they still are good. The only team to improve enough to move up was Marshall. How many championships and even good teams over the years were had by anyone in the Southern but App St., Furman, and Georgia Southern? With all the talk about those 3, how did they not move up to Division I football like Troy, Central Florida, and Louisiana Monroe? Stagnated near the top of IAA, huh? App State has talked about moving up for 30 years; where is the action?

How has the Citadel (rare success), Davidson (no real team since 87), UTC (only 1 winning season since 92), Elon (new doormat to go with Citadel and UTC), and Western (decent team about 1 out 5 years unlike the old days) been doing in football since 1978? Stagnation would have been a dream for those floundering schools in football. Even Georgia Southern (won 4 national championships while in the TAAC and 2 in the SoCon) not the program of old in the Southern or the TAAC. Of course you can always drop it or go nonscholarship like those ETSU and Davidson powerhouses did. How are the powerful football programs helping out the SoCon at UNCG and College of Charleston?

3 of the best basketball programs over the last 3 decades in the SoCon were ETSU, Marshall, and UTC. The crowds and on court success were great. Where are they now for the SoCon? One left, one got kicked out, and the other is dying on the vine. Even a very good team like App. St. this year couldn't get any crowd support. As bad as basketball attendance is in the ASun, I noticed the average crowd grew by over 400 people per game to 1959 per game. The SoCon was down by 195 to 2274. As the programs in Florida and Georgia continue to grow, the Atlantic Sun just may leave the Southern in the dust shortly (in everything but football, of course).
05-11-2007 09:44 AM
kevster Offline
1st String

He he. Good one, Bama!
05-11-2007 09:50 AM
kevster Offline
1st String

He he. Good one, Bama.

Thanks. You're a funny guy.
05-11-2007 09:50 AM
BucinBama Offline
Special Teams

Anything to make your day more positive! The truth will set you free!
05-11-2007 09:52 AM
Advertisement

PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

Southern Conference teams draw nearly 15% more than the A-Sun, despite the fact the A-Sun plays in larger metro areas such as Jacksonville and Nashville, and you spin that as a positive.

Okay!

Your arguement on putting down the Southern Conference is like trying to tell me the SEC isn't a good football conference because of Vandy, Kentucky, and the Mississippi schools.

ONLY three teams have won the National Championship! Whoa! That's hardly any, huh?

And forgive me, but wasn't the Southern Conference considered a Division I conference circa 1980-81? That was awhile ago, but it does speak volumes.

Remember, back in 2003 people were telling me Eastern Michigan wouldn't win the Southern Conference and I told them they were nuts (but I'm the So Con shill).

How many more lame attempts to spin things do we have to go through before we accept the So Con is a better conference and the moves of the athletic administration at ETSU have cost us something?

It's amazing! Any other place- fans would be helping the administrators pack.

Here, we defend them.
05-11-2007 11:24 AM
BucinBama Offline
Special Teams

I do think that ASun gets teams that are usually on the way up unlike ETSU. The SoCon was considered more Div I, but now many people don't even know that the basketball teams are considered Division I. The SoCon is about history with the old ACC and SEC teams.

If we ever find a way to get back into the SoCon via the Davidson method that will put our AD and President back in high standing.

Being in the ASun, we have a chance to dump those guys now, but we better hurry. The worst scenario is the ASun may soon surpass the SoCon and even without football those guys may look like geniuses.

Have you got that Fire Stanton and Mullins campaign going and website up yet? Or are you pulling a SoCon which is being happy with the status quo, and dreaming of the old days?
05-11-2007 01:53 PM
kevster Offline
1st String

You know guys . . . The only reason I started this discussion was because the board was getting boring. I knew some fireworks would get started.

And it worked.

And I'm so proud of myself.

And I hope you will do likewise. Let's not let the board get so boring again.

Thank you for your cooperation.
05-11-2007 01:59 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

The A-Sun is NEVER going to be better than the Southern in basketball.

If and when you might talk about another conference in 2011, and the fact so many people are shows you how unsatisfied everyone is in the A-Sun, then you have to consider a few things.

Currently, the only place that really fits that ETSU could move into would be the Big South.

Now, I don't know. In some ways the Big South would be better because it is a football conference, hence the movement to bring back the sport might gain momentum.

However, it is not THAT much of a move up.

Me? I think ETSU has played its last game as a Southern Conference member. There isn't the space to join it and I think if, say, Appalachian State ever made a bold move to go Division I-A then they'd go with a better football school.

Also, if David Mullins and Paul Stanton are on board I do not think the Southern Conference will invite them back. There can't be even a sniff of those two left for the wounds to heal.

Honestly, what I'd like to see ETSU do- and start to talk about openly- is the Sun Belt. There's room there- the schools fit with ETSU- and it's a real step to become a Division I.

If they can ever get the new facilities built ETSU might be an attractive candidate.

But I would think right now ASU is leaps and bounds ahead of ETSU in making that move.
05-11-2007 03:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.