Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Don't be fooled by golf success-
Bookmark and Share
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

I Root For: Justice
Don't be fooled by golf success-
ETSU has a 10-stroke lead ahead of North Florida entering the final day of the A-Sun championships.

Interestingly enough, eight of the strokes are bogus.

From http://www.etsubucs.com-

[b]ETSU also gained strokes on the field thanks to a scoring mistake by UNF
04-18-2007 10:47 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators

As of now they are up 14 strokes...so I dont see how that would matter anyways.
04-18-2007 01:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

It probably won't, but it's sort of like when at one time there was an opinion to count the 1992 Bucs as a "Sweet 16 Team" because Michigan had to forfeit their win in the NCAA Tournament 10 years after the fact.

Typical ETSU. Brag on nothing. Brag on wins against Mars Hill. Brag on 14 stroke leads that really are only six stroke leads. Try to claim 1992 was a "Sweet 16 Season."

Can you imagine if North Florida comes back and ETSU wins by five strokes? No doubt ETSU will actually claim a conference title- ON A SCORING ERROR!

Gee, had to go to Europe and drop football for that. Wow.
04-18-2007 02:05 PM
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

Donators

Nope...ETSU wins by 14 strokes...
04-18-2007 05:08 PM
etsuBucsFan1988 Offline
Millennial Grief Counselor

I Root For: ETSU Hoops

I don't understand all the hate toward the golf team. We should be congratulating them. We need EVERY sport at ETSU to win ASun championships. I don't care if it is just the ASun. I don't care if its in tidly winks, we need to WIN WIN WIN. Every sport, male and female, non-revenue and revenue sports. We need to show that we can dominate this conference. The time is now more than ever to show that. Without football, this is the time to showcase all of the sports we have to offer. Track and field, soccer, volley ball, baseball....WIN WIN WIN. Wining championships year in and year out will only strengthen our marketability to other conferences. What looks better, to say we win 10 conference championships a year or 1?Some want to pack it all up because we don't have football. That's your choice. Its not mine and hopefully the same is true with others.
04-18-2007 06:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ETSU
winning
I agree with you '88 and think we should win in all the sports. Also, I would like to add football to all that and then I would really be happy!
04-18-2007 07:15 PM
Advertisement

PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

The question is if you would rather finish third on the varsity or first in JV.

Francisco Cabrerra and Dusty Rhodes are much more legitimate players than David Orndorf or Bazil Shabazz.

The idea with the golf team is it not only doesn't live out the University Mission, but it likely takes away from other sports.
04-18-2007 08:29 PM
rockytopbearcat Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Francisco Cabrera...

Ah Frankie and Sid Bream dragging a refrigerator around third base. Good night, good night. My dad thought we had been burglarized when my mom and I went screaming through the house.
04-18-2007 09:19 PM
stategradsmoke Offline
Bench Warmer

Whatever happened to Basil Shabazz, I remember he was the number one draft pick for the Cardinals in the late 80's or eary 90's. Went to watch him play in JC in the Appy League when I was a kid. Boy, he was a bust.

Pitt: Did you mean "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Ornduff???
04-18-2007 09:28 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

No, I mean 1990 Little League World Series hero David Orndorf, who went on to play minor league baseball in the Twins organization, and led the Appalachian League in hitting in 1997.

He was from Shippensburg, PA- which was my home before I moved to Johnson City.

One of my old baseball teammates up there went on to coach Orndorf, and I called some of his games in '97 when the Twins played the Cardinals.

The "Whatever happened to Bazill Shabazz" story goes a long way.

After the first ever regular season game at PNC Park, I actually had a conversation with Dmitri Young (I'm a namedropper, sue me) about the incredible athletic feats of Shabazz- his old teammate in Johnson City- and Young's experiences meeting Willie Stargell- who had passed away earlier in the day.
04-18-2007 09:55 PM
seagrove10 Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Bucs win A-Sun golf championship. Also, check out the rosters of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th place schools and you will find many international students. One team has 4 Swedes, another 3 Scots. I'd bet it's the same for a lot of colleges and universities around the US if you care to look. The best of the best US kids can go to the Okla States, the Foridas, etc., but it slim pickings after that if you want to field a team that can compete.
04-19-2007 07:21 AM
Advertisement

Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I Root For: ETSU/Mid Majors

I jujst find it funny how the American golfers DOMINATE the PGA Majors but there aren't enough American golfers to go around. I don't buy it.
04-19-2007 03:44 PM
seagrove10 Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

buccaneer lover, unlike some people on this board I don't want to argue with you about who dominates the PGA majors. I was trying to make a point that most college and university golf (and tennis, volleyball, soccer, basketball and yes even football) teams include international students on their rosters; not just at ETSU. Several people on this board have complained that ETSU should not have foreign students, implying that this is causing local students to miss opportunities, and, further even going as far to say that this is part of the reason ETSU may not be able to have football again! This kind of reasoning doesn't make any sense to me. ETSU golf has been a marquee program for the university going all the way back into the 60s.
However, since you mentioned the PGA, you might check the world rankings. Yes, 4 out of the top 5 are from the US. 80 out of the next 95 are from other than the US.
04-19-2007 08:20 PM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

Well since the argument against football is they never recruited locally, I figure that the other sports should be called on the carpet as well. I mean it's been apparent to me that since ETSU is so financially strapped athletically, they shouldn't eveb be able to AFFORD to recruit outside of Tennessee, let alone outside of the United States. If ETSU is so broke and can't afford anything as has been preached lately, then how can we afford to give scholarships to people outside the United States, especially when we're wanting to be a "regional" university. It would seem to me that if we REALLY, and I mean REALLY wanted to be a regional institution, ETSU would recruit more local athletes. Instead we have a women's soccer team that only has three girls from Tennessee, the closest being from Knoxville, two tennis teams with only three players from Tennessee/Virginia and oh by the way, Tara Byrne is the only one that sees significant playing time and the men's team hasn't got a SINGLE AMERICAN PLAYER ON THE TEAM, forget local there. Between golf we're talking two players, both on the women's team from Tennessee, and they are East Tennesseans atleast so kudos to Coach Reynolds.
Look, I see both sides of the argument, Warren wants to win, blah blah blah, but how is ETSU affording to bring in all these foreign athletes on scholarship. Where's the money coming from?
In closing I will say this, Yaser has done such a great job, better than Dave, that I think when Dave is fired then Yaser should be the new A.D. ETSU alum, Communications grad I believe, so why not?
04-19-2007 09:06 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

There are five players on the ETSU golf team and they are all from Europe.

And I have pointed out that Tennesseans- east Tennesseans for that matter- are doing better at other Tennessee colleges than our own players from Europe.

This isn't the University mission. It makes no sense that we are too poor to have ETSU football, yet ETSU golf gets every luxury.

If Warren is the coach his reputation says he is and the golf facility is what it is supposed to do, you don't have to go to Europe to find players who can shoot a 78.

It's that simple. I've found guys from Science Hill who are shooting a 75 at Austin Peay.

I want to know why Lamar can have Texans on their team and be ranked fourth, yet we can't have any Tennesseans- or even Americans- and are ranked 13th.

I want to know how Clemson can win a National Championship in golf with all South Carolinians, but we are beaten at our own Bank of Tennessee Tournament by an in-state kid at UT.

We could see 40% of the team from overseas. We can't see 100%.
04-19-2007 09:48 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

By the way, BucLover, I have to ask you-

Is the student vote to only reason you have changed your tune and now are reciting the truth instead of athletic dept. propaganda?
04-19-2007 09:50 PM
Advertisement

KingsportBucsFan31 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Buccaneerlover Wrote:I jujst find it funny how the American golfers DOMINATE the PGA Majors but there aren't enough American golfers to go around. I don't buy it.

You mean Tiger and Mickleson dominate. Look at the Davis cup which has US vs Europe and Europe ha been kicking our butts for years. Europeans have more golf talent.
04-20-2007 01:31 PM
KingsportBucsFan31 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
Pitt
You talked about one guy from UT and when I showed you that the rest of UT's competing roster was European you moved on to this guy from Austin Peay.

So your UT argument is weak. ETSU is not going to win every touranement and the UT's guy would still be third/fourth on our team.

Now Austin Peay is playing with mostly TN players and good for them. One of their best however is from Mexico so its not like its only locals there. But is Austin Peay ranked in the top 50 by Golf Week - no. Also you make an inference that our European's are shooting 78's just to compare that 75 number, when they are not averaging above 76.5.

Additionally how long are you going to blame Fred Warren for football's money woes. He gets the money he needs himself. To ask him to become AD to raise money for the sports when he doesn't want to do it is ridiculous. It would be one thing if he was taking money from the budget for other sports but he doesn't. If other sports want more money - argue for hiring guys that are good at fund raising for them not blame the people who are there and doing a good job.
04-20-2007 01:46 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

So, wouldn't it make more sense to have Americans use our state-of-the-art facilities and improve their games, thereby improving the status of American golf, instead of throwing up our hands and saying "If You Can't Beat 'Em, Join "Em!"

I mean, what really is the ETSU mission?
04-20-2007 01:48 PM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

My tune has changed simply because I'm tired of seeing the same half-assed efforts at everything ETSU does. It's ridiculous. If the administration wanted it, all they had to do is say we're starting football, putting a fee in place to cover it, and if students don't like it, then go to UT, oh wait, no, most of the people that voted it down are from there and just guessing they couldn't get in to any of the other four year schools.
I guess I should clarify that I feel only three or four people REALLY need to go at ETSU as far as athletic administration goes (Not counting Stanton). I'll still say that the other sports, though aren't where they should be, are headed in the right direction for the most part.
Now, isn't the Ryder Cup a match play tournament, not stroke play? If the Euros are so much better, why are the most talked about golfers American, and why are the best players playing here?
04-20-2007 02:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.