Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Billy Donovan
Bookmark and Share
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

I Root For: Justice
Billy Donovan
Today Donovan is the most talked about figure in sports, and it brings back the memories of 1994 when he brought in Marshall and effectively ended the positives stemming from the Greg Dennis era with a lopsided loss.

The Herd was on its way to the NCAAs and Donovan was obviously going places (as was Marshall). When he landed at Florida you knew it was only a matter of time before he'd lead the Gators to big things.

What I remember most about that game ( I was working as a grip for a cable company) is during a time out Donovan brought out stools for his players to sit on in a semi-circle. Even in his time outs, Donovan was innovative.

But isn't that why you follow ETSU basketball? The idea that a part of the major college athletic world comes here to our little doo-hickey town?

Sadly, the idea of a talent like that coming through again isn't likely. The A-Sun hasn't put one player on a current NBA roster and the conference certainly isn't a good development ground for coaches.

Do you ever think we will be touched by such greatness again?
04-02-2007 09:43 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

etsuBucsFan1988 Offline
Millennial Grief Counselor

I Root For: ETSU Hoops

The question maybe should be will Marshall ever get back to where they used to be. The are terrible now. But it all goes back to up and coming coaches using one bid leagues as a spring board to other opportunities. He wasn't even there over 3 yrs was he?

BTW was in KY all last week. UK fans are saying its a done deal and when UF's season is over, Donovan will be named the new UK coach. We will see if its true.
04-02-2007 09:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

You honestly think ETSU is in better shape than Marshall right now?

HA!
04-02-2007 09:57 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

etsuBucsFan1988 Offline

Ummm, I didn't say that. You want me to say "yes we are". I would say we creamed them in 05-06. You would say they had a bad day. Then I would say we won our conference and went to the NIT and they had no post season. You would say we are in a suck conference. I would say we had better attendance. You would say ETSU pads the attendance numbers. I would say.....and you would say it's all Dave Mullins' fault........oh never mind.
04-02-2007 10:14 AM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

No- I would say that any sane sports fan would take membership in the Conference USA ahead of membership in the Atlantic Sun.
04-02-2007 10:15 AM
Advertisement

etsuBucsFan1988 Offline

Of course they would....but you were specifically mentioning Marshall.
04-02-2007 11:47 AM
BucinBama Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ETSU, UT

That 1 bid conference known as the Conference USA? It is Memphis and the bunch of misfits. The only happy member is Memphis as they can have a 98% winning percentage in conference to pad their record for a better but undeserved seeding in the NCAAs.

It has become a joke of a conference after the other big boys besides Memphis left for greener pastures.
04-02-2007 01:10 PM
Advertisement

RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

BucinBama Wrote:That 1 bid conference known as the Conference USA? It is Memphis and the bunch of misfits. The only happy member is Memphis as they can have a 98% winning percentage in conference to pad their record for a better but undeserved seeding in the NCAAs.

It has become a joke of a conference after the other big boys besides Memphis left for greener pastures.

and it is still a hell of lot better conference then A-Sun is.

R
04-02-2007 01:46 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

Exactly.

So now the A-Sun isn't just on par with the Southern Conference, but ETSU Tripe Eaters are trying to say it's on par with Conference USA?
04-02-2007 01:48 PM
Advertisement

BucinBama Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ETSU, UT

I never said it was comparable to the ASUN, but it has become a upper mid-major conference in basketball for every team other than Memphis. To get 1 bid for a 12 team conference that is supposed to be a major conference is just lousy. If Memphis would have left like the other big boys, there RPI would probably have been comparable to the SoCon with no teams that had an RPI as good as App State or Davidson.
04-02-2007 03:09 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

I'm sure Conference USA will have multiple bids in the future and Marshall will recruit better players than ETSU for the time being primarily because of their conference affiliation.

Don't you?
04-02-2007 03:33 PM
etsuBucsFan1988 Offline

Donovan stays. A&M's Billy Gillipsie is the new UK coach.
http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=660998
04-06-2007 08:23 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.