Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

When does Gardner Webb leave?
Bookmark and Share
MercerFan Offline
Orange & Black

I Root For: The Bears

Donators
When does Gardner Webb leave?
I was just thinking that if G-Webb leaves after this season, won't we only have 7 post season eligible teams (out of 11). What would happen to the tourney?
02-26-2007 05:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Owlzfan84 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Kennesaw State

i was thinking that 2. maybe the ncaa will be my best friend and let ksu play, since they proved their up to par in d-1 basketball.

i'm sure they'll try to recruit a new member though..thats not a d-2 school
02-26-2007 06:31 PM
HisMajestyKingofStetson Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
My guess is that we will give a first-round bye to the #1
seed.

KOS
02-26-2007 06:51 PM
MercerFan Offline
Orange & Black

Donators

Good thought KOS, that makes sense. Either that or make it 6 teams with 2 byes. I like your way.

Owlzfan84 Wrote:i was thinking that 2. maybe the ncaa will be my best friend and let ksu play, since they proved their up to par in d-1 basketball.

i'm sure they'll try to recruit a new member though..thats not a d-2 school

Hey at least you're 2 years away!! Half way home.
02-26-2007 07:01 PM
OrangeCamel Offline

I Root For: Campbell

G-W will leave the A-Sun after next year, so the same 8 schools will be in the tournament next year. Also, the next few years' tournaments sites are to be bidded on and have yet to be determined. This will be interesting to watch for in the coming months.

That's a good point about the 7 teams, M'Fan. That's the way it will be in 08-09 unless we add another D-1 school (who would that be?...doubtful). I agree with KOS about the bye for the 1 seed. I grew up following the 7-team ACC (prior to GaTech), but I can't remember how they did the brackets. I do remember teachers bringing TVs into the classrooms and letting us watch the games, though!
02-26-2007 07:33 PM
MercerFan Offline
Orange & Black

Donators

I've always assumed they are trying to make it a 12 team league. So PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get a current D1 school. Thanks A-Sun. Who knows, maybe they'll get a strong program?
02-26-2007 07:53 PM
Advertisement

ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators

Could Longwood be a legit candidate?
02-26-2007 08:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
the Big Camel Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Orange:

You mentioned the tournaments sites are yet to be determined, they are actually looking at playing both the men's and women's tournaments at the same site.

Possibly looking like this:
Wednesday-Women's Quarters
Thursday-Men's Quarters
Friday-Both Semis
Saturday-Both Championships
02-26-2007 08:28 PM
MercerFan Offline
Orange & Black

Donators

ETSUfan1 Wrote:Could Longwood be a legit candidate?

I would guess so, but at the same time I think we would have taken them already. That makes me think all of the independents don't have good enough facilities or location. It would be weird to take them now when they were out there 2 years ago.
02-26-2007 08:42 PM
OrangeCamel Offline

I Root For: Campbell

the Big Camel Wrote:Orange:

You mentioned the tournaments sites are yet to be determined, they are actually looking at playing both the men's and women's tournaments at the same site.

Thursday-Men's Quarters
Friday-Both Semis

Thanks BC. The bad thing about that is they better find a place with enough hotel rooms. When making reservations for the men's tournament a couple of weeks ago, I got one of only two rooms one JC hotel had left and that's with only half the teams compared to this proposal. Perhaps that can have the quarters at the higher seeds, and then bring the men & women together for the semis/championship.

If people don't mind driving 10-15 miles to/from their hotel room, maybe Campbell can host a tournament when the new place is finished!
02-26-2007 09:04 PM
BucDoctor Offline
All American

I Root For: UVa, ETSU

OrangeCamel Wrote:
the Big Camel Wrote:Orange:

Thursday-Men's Quarters
Friday-Both Semis

Thanks BC. The bad thing about that is they better find a place with enough hotel rooms. When making reservations for the men's tournament a couple of weeks ago, I got one of only two rooms one JC hotel had left and that's with only half the teams compared to this proposal. Perhaps that can have the quarters at the higher seeds, and then bring the men & women together for the semis/championship.

If people don't mind driving 10-15 miles to/from their hotel room, maybe Campbell can host a tournament when the new place is finished!

No possible ways that the hotels in the TriCities are full. We host 160,000 NASCAR fans. Kingsport and Bristol are less than 20 miles from Johnson City, there are also hotels near the airport, in Jonesborough (5 miles from Johnson City). The TRI is really one area, for example I have been in all three cities just today and that is typical for most folks.
02-26-2007 09:40 PM
Advertisement

ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators

What about Winston Salem State. They played Lipscomb this year, they are new to DI...plus that would give Campbell a travel partner when GW leaves.
02-26-2007 09:46 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
the Big Camel Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Winston-Salem State doesn't really fit the profile of the league
02-26-2007 10:43 PM
Owlzfan84 Offline
Special Teams

maybe somehow we could get winthrop. i know the big south wants their schools tohave football..and actually it would be a good fit, cuz winthrop is a powerhouse baseball school as well. they could give Stetson a run for their money along with giving the conference a pretty well known basketball school which couldhelp ticket sales when their visiting.

yea i know it prob wont happen, but i can hope.
02-26-2007 10:46 PM
BelmontSuperFan Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Belmont

I heard that they are looking at Belmont or Lipscomb to host the joint tournament next year. Most people on this board don't talk about women's basketball, but I traveled last year to Dothan and it's quite possibly the worst place to play basketball. I felt like I should be watching a play on the stage that takes up one side of the court. I'm happy about joint championships, no matter where they are!
02-26-2007 10:57 PM
MercerFan Offline
Orange & Black

Donators

Owlzfan84 Wrote:maybe somehow we could get winthrop. i know the big south wants their schools tohave football..and actually it would be a good fit, cuz winthrop is a powerhouse baseball school as well. they could give Stetson a run for their money along with giving the conference a pretty well known basketball school which couldhelp ticket sales when their visiting.

yea i know it prob wont happen, but i can hope.

I've been hoping for that since UCF, Troy, & GA State left. The main hurdle is that Winthrop is a charter member of the Big South. They might be tied to them for that reason. They probably enjoy weak competition as well.

An ETSU/Winthrop rivalry would be all the A-Sun would need to get on the map. But sadly, it would bury the Big South so deep that Winthrop might feel bad.

Not to mention baseball would be insane with another school of high caliber such as Winthrop.
02-26-2007 11:23 PM
Advertisement

Owlzfan84 Offline
Special Teams

i know they like the weak conference schedule while playing a strong out of conference schedule..well they could do that over here in the Sun, and playing here would help their baseball since they'd be playing better competition. i just figure its only a matter of time b4 they leave cuz they dont have football and they also dont look to be getting football any time soon
02-27-2007 01:39 AM
the Big Camel Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Lipscomb doesn't want any part of hosting the tournament and I don't think they should split it between two sites. The whole point of putting both in one place is so that the fans, bands, cheerleaders, etc....can be there for both teams
02-27-2007 09:54 AM
andone Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Jacksonville is the answer or perhaps Orlando.
02-27-2007 10:11 AM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
Re: When does Gardner Webb leave?
MercerFan Wrote:I was just thinking that if G-Webb leaves after this season, won't we only have 7 post season eligible teams (out of 11). What would happen to the tourney?

Have never seen this discussed, but if one more established DI team leaves after Gardner Webb, the Atlantic Sun is in danger of losing its autobid for men's basketball. For example, if East Tennessee leaves, the A Sun must immediately replace them with an "established" DI school.

New NCAA rules require a conference to have 7 "core" DI schools. Six of these seven "core" DI schools must have been together for at least the previous five years. Kennesaw St and North Florida don't meet the NCAA's definition of a DI "core" school.

The draconian new NCAA rules for new DI schools requires a 5 year transition PLUS an additional eight years for DI "core" status for purposes of conference qualification for autobids. So, Kennesaw St and North Florida need 10 more years to qualify as DI "core" schools and help the ASun with their autobid status. SC-Upstate and FGCU won't be DI "core" schools for 12 more years.

Longwood is not a "core" school and is still in transition, so it would not provide any autobid protection. Winston-Salem St, NC Central, and Presbyterian are also in DI transition. The only independent that is available is Savannah St, and they don't fit the A Sun profile either. The A Sun really needs to get a school from another conference to move over now so it isn't immediately vulnerable.
03-03-2007 01:25 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.