Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Today's the Day- but does anyone really care?
Bookmark and Share
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

I Root For: Justice
Today's the Day- but does anyone really care?
Here's why I ask.

Listening to Meade. Not one call about the final task force meeting.

No, Meade did not bring the subject up- but there was a story on it on WJCW news.

Conversation was about the NBA Brawl the other day.

Speaking of which, not one call or email to the Bucs post-game show last night.

I'll tell you exactly the reason why. You cannot have ETSU run that post game. ETSU is going to tell you everything is sunny and nobody is buying that.

The way a post-game has to be done is generally to be independent of the team.

Furthermore, the team has to understand that even if a show goes the way of "FIRE THE COACH! TAKE AWAY THE CENTER'S SCHOLARSHIP! I'M NEVER GOING TO A GAME AGAIN!" it is ultimately benefical to them because you have the audience talking about the team for an hour.

Now- watching TV.

Not the lead story on either newscast.

They finally did get around to talking about it on WJHL 12 minutes into the cast as part of something called "EDUCATION FOCUS" or UPDATE or whatever it was.

Encouraged people to look at their website for a time line of articles, photos, and comments.

Not one comment on the subject.

Still have not seen them talk about this on WCYB. I have seen them talk at 5:45 about a girls soccer player in Pittsburgh that I am pretty sure I interviewed once.

I am not believing this. They just did a sports short on 5 and it was all about the game last night- which by now everybody knows about and is hardly the most pressing news of the day. No mention of the task force.

The leads were a storm in the Great Plains States (WHAT?) on 5 and some sort of monstrosity where they are BURNING A TREE IN A U-HAUL on 11.

Okay- WE CARE- but we are the die-hards. I hear on the bucfootball.com board about signs for businesses and such- I have yet to see one.

In fact, I saw more bumper stickers urging ETSU to hire George Pitts in 1996 than I have seen of "Bring Back Football."

They say ETSU can't use Memorial Center for football. It only holds 6400.

Trust me- that'll be more than enough for the time being.
12-20-2006 05:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I Root For: ETSU/Mid Majors

Every other school does it that way moron! Any post game call in show the hosts are approved and usually employed by the university of choice. Why shouldn't they host it? You going to say that Jay is foolish by following university models he picked up on?
BTW, here you are complaining about the call in shows again, yet we still haven't heard from you? WHy haven't you called or emailed? Don't give me that I work in the media excuse, you post here and if "EVERYONE" reads it like you say, then they all know who you are so what's the difference?
12-20-2006 06:03 PM
Find all posts by this user
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

I have stated my terms for an appearance on Meade's show.

It is amazing- you say I have no credibility- yet your pleading for me to call into the show seems to imply that I am the only one who can possibly lead a grassroots effort.

On the call-in show- it's a great idea.

The problem is you have to have a host who is willing to mix it up and you have to have an athletic department who is willing to take a few shots. Even Steve Pederson allowed his postgame show in the dog days of Pitt football to allow disgruntled fans to bash John Majors or whoever.

And by the way, before Pederson arrived the Pitt post-game call in was run by their flagship station, not the Panthers.

Here's how you attract calls-

You ask "Are the Bucs turning it around after this win?"

Does this win imply the A-Sun is better than the Big South?

Tomorrow the football task force meets for the final time. Can ETSU afford to have a football program? Can it afford NOT to?

What about the change in defense? Should Bartow abandon his beloved zone more often?

The Bucs are now 5-5 (or 6-5 by ETSU "count everything" standards). Is this an improved team from last year- despite the departure of the school's all-time leading scorer?

Ap State just beat UVA. Could ETSU beat Ap State? Would you like to see the rivalry revived- even if it meant not playing a Vandy, UT, or whoever else?

If anyone is doing their homework and has a contact for Tim Smith- you could even have called up Tim Smith and asked for his opinions on the Iverson deal- and then really do something interesting by asking him if he feels Iverson is a selfish player.

That's just for starters off the top of my head. And really- any other post-game show- run by the team or not- would allow such conversation.

Yet ETSU won't. Either its because the post-game announcer doesn't have a clue or is being muzzled from above.
12-20-2006 07:10 PM
BucGrad2006 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Buccaneerlover Wrote:Every other school does it that way moron! Any post game call in show the hosts are approved and usually employed by the university of choice.

Every other school? You must not tune into the Vol Network or most of their affiliates during UT football season for post-game programming.

For Most games that don't begin late - the post-game programming goes like this....

Scoreboard show, Fulmer Show, Final Scoreboard where they take calls....then most affiliates carry the syndicated Football Finals show from WIVK/WNML/WNOX. Sure its carried by the flagship station, but its independent and they rarely sugar coat it.
12-20-2006 07:46 PM
Advertisement

BucGrad2006 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

PittsburghBucs Wrote:Either its because the post-game announcer doesn't have a clue or is being muzzled from above.

It's Don Helman, isnt it?

If it is, then the no clue is probably spot-on.

Listening to SportsLine one day when he filled in for Meade......someone was complaining about the UT Offensive Coordinator (Randy Sanders) and the caller couldnt remember his name and after the caller says his peace Don starts, "Who is the offensive coordinator at Tennessee this year." and then took a commercial break and came back and said he saw it was Randy Sanders.

Don's probably a nice guy, but he's halfway clueless about everything.

BTW speaking of Don.....If I was an opposing coach coming to the Dome....I'd send a GA into the stands and tell them to listen to WJCW and devise some hand signals to be relayed to the bench from the GA who's listening in on the radio. If anyone is unaware, Don generally tells what the Bucs went over in the timeout and what defense/offense they're going to run out of the timeout. And it isnt what Don thinks they're going to run, its what Bartow says is what Don says....I can't believe someone at ETSU allows that to happen....
12-20-2006 07:52 PM
JWBUC Offline
1st String

I Root For: ETSU Bucs

So that is why what he calls during those famous timeouts NEVER seem to work.

I keep thinking he called timeout for that !

AND that's in the post Tiny Timmy era too.
12-20-2006 09:02 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

It isn't Helman. It's someone new- good voice- good delivery- but clearly he does not know how to elicit calls on a talk show.
12-21-2006 02:25 AM
Advertisement

Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

They all get money from UT on the gig until Football Finals down there. I mean ETSU has the "Pregame show," The Murry Bartow Pre-game show, the game itself, the post game show and the Murry Bartow locker room show. Jay is doing the smart thing and following successful models, ETSU can't help if WJCW doesn't have someone in studio taking postgame calls and talking about the game. To my knowledge Tennessee doesn't do that either for MBB, they have pregame, game, post game, lockerroom, out.
12-21-2006 11:10 AM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

What's the point?

The point here is there is a venue after games for fans to call in and they don't.

I'm saying the reason why is ETSU muzzles the show beyond what most colleges would.
12-21-2006 11:14 AM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

THEN CALL IN!!! They have pre and postgame call in shows, and a coaches show fairly frequently. CALL IN CALL IN CALL IN and quit complaining here.
12-21-2006 01:11 PM
Advertisement

PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

This is amazing.

I have no credibility- yet I am the one who will lead a grassroots effort.

Why should I throw ETSU a bone after what Mullins has done to me?
12-21-2006 01:32 PM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

then quit complaining and noone calling into the show. You can't have it both ways, either call in or shut your damn mouth. Mullins did nothing to you, you did it to you and are very lucky that the student athletes around there, namely the basketball and football teams didn't catch you out in the parking lots one night and beat your ass just for the sake of doing it.
12-21-2006 04:37 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

Well, that would have been the scandal of the century had they of done that and a lot of them would be in prison right now,

And it also would have been difficult since I was 400 miles away.

Mullins did a LOT of unethical and dishonest things to me. That's undeniable and even people who have generally disagreed with me have agreed with me on that.
12-21-2006 04:46 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.