Bookmark and Share
SpaceRaider Offline
All American

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
New Mercer President won't rule out football
interresting article.

Again, the football question
07-15-2006 08:51 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SouthGAEagle Offline
Overzealous Admin

I Root For: Mercer & USM

SkunkworksDonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesSurvivor Champion

Quote:When I asked whether a Division III football program could be pursued by a school competing in Division I for basketball, Underwood said it could.

I don't think so.....

In order to be Division I in everything else, we'd have to go Division I-AA non-scholarship, like Georgetown or JU is.

You can't pick and choose what division you are in each sport (there are some exceptions, like golf and hockey).
07-17-2006 07:40 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MercerFan Offline
Orange & Black

I Root For: The Bears

Donators

Let's do it!!! BUT, no dropping below D1 05-mafia !! Just give us the weakest non-scholarship d1 we can get. There was always students saying they would play if it started (former high school players), so I know it would work. And really, what's $1 Million after just building the UC? It's a drop in the bucket.
07-17-2006 07:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lurking Dog Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Drake

[quote="SouthGAEagle"]
Quote:In order to be Division I in everything else, we'd have to go Division I-AA non-scholarship, like Georgetown or JU is.

You wouldn't have to go nonscholarship, but if you want to be in JU's league, you can't have scholarships. And if you can't afford $2 million per year for a fully funded team, why fund enough aid to discourage the nonscholarships from playing you, but not enough to get a playoff bid? I think that's the rationale behind the PFL and behind Campbell starting a nonscholarship program in 2008.

Georgetown, by the way, offers a few scholarships--just not as many as the rest of the schools in the Patriot League.
07-17-2006 09:24 PM
BlazerDawg Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:
RE: New Mercer President won't rule out football
Interesting. Would MU play at Henderson Field?
06-29-2007 09:22 PM
Advertisement

MercerFan Offline
Orange & Black

Donators
Well it's a pretty outdated article now... but I doubt football will be at Mercer in the next 20 years. We did have football in the past, so maybe that will drive them to bring it back some day. I'd take a quality basketball/baseball duo over adding football anyday though.

I mean really, there's only one way to add football -- if you're going to try to win -- which means lots of money. So you either do it big or you don't do it.

Give that extra money to basketball and baseball budgets.
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2007 11:29 PM by MercerFan.)
06-29-2007 11:29 PM
Owlzfan84 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Kennesaw State
i've always wondered what conference u'd be in today if you didnt eliminate football cuz of the war. you think you woulda been 1A?
06-29-2007 11:59 PM
MercerFan Offline
Orange & Black

Donators
Owlzfan84 Wrote:i've always wondered what conference u'd be in today if you didnt eliminate football cuz of the war. you think you woulda been 1A?

That's an interesting question. Only whoever was in charge in the 70's and 80's would know. I'd guess I-AA, but who knows. I doubt those guys would have pushed football.
(This post was last modified: 06-30-2007 12:11 AM by MercerFan.)
06-30-2007 12:09 AM
Goldfinger
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
Mercer fan....Do you feel that you're program suffered from having football dropped back in whenever you dropped it?
06-30-2007 12:31 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MercerFan Offline
Orange & Black

Donators
Goldfinger Wrote:Mercer fan....Do you feel that you're program suffered from having football dropped back in whenever you dropped it?

They dropped it back during WWII.

I would argue that it had a devastating long term effect, and not much of a short term effect. The team was actually good back then too.
06-30-2007 12:39 AM
Goldfinger
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
I can't see that any good has come from ETSU dropping their program I can tell you that.
06-30-2007 12:49 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Lurking Dog Offline
Bench Warmer

I get the feeling there have been some new developments here. Anyone with a tale to tell?
03-27-2008 02:16 PM
Toby Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Mercer
Our new president seems much more serious about sports (including football) than our previous long term president was. The concept is still being evaluated, and it would start as non-scholarship. However, I don't think we should start it unless we're really serious about building a successful scholarship 1-AA program (like Furman's for example). Otherwise, it would just be a long term money drain and students would continue to drive to Athens on fall Saturdays.

A little Mercer football history for you folks out there:
Mercer played UGA in the first football game in the deep south with UGA winning.
Mercer played Georgia Tech in Tech's first football game with Mercer winning.
Mercer has 6 victories against Florida, a fact I like to point out to Gator fans.
UGA coaching legend Wally Butts was a defensive end at Mercer.

I imagine that had Mercer not quit football we probably would have ended up in the So Con. We're just too small to have continued to compete with 1-A schools, and geographically the So Con would have been the most likely fit.

I don't know that quitting football hurt other sports as much as President Godsey's total focus on academics (with virtually no focus on sports) over the last 25 years. It's not that I completely dislike that. Godsey was great for Mercer, and my degree is worth much more as a result. But, being a former athlete myself, I think there's a balance between the two.
03-27-2008 04:43 PM
Advertisement

OrangeCamel Offline

I Root For: Campbell
I really hope Mercer adds football and joins JU and Campbell in the PFL.

Is there room on campus for a fb stadium?
03-30-2008 07:42 PM
Toby Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Mercer
Mercer didn't actually tear down their football stadium until 1995. They've since built a hotel on the old stadium site, but I think there's still room on that side of campus (beyond the outfield wall of the baseball field) for a football stadium.
03-31-2008 11:28 AM
MercerFan Offline
Orange & Black

Donators
Nice info Toby... that would be cool if they built one next to the baseball field... especially since stadium drive apartments used to be there.
03-31-2008 04:27 PM
Lurking Dog Offline
Bench Warmer

Mercer would be a key part of this...
===================================

BREAKING NEWS: An ETSU Football Recovery Could Be In New Conference

Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 - 12:15 AM

BY Brian T Smith

The return of football to East Tennessee State University may be on the horizon.

But if football eventually does make a comeback at ETSU, it could look much different than it did when the Buccaneers’ now-dormant program played its final game, a last-second 16-14 win over The Citadel on Nov. 22, 2003, at Memorial Center.

A proposal to create an independent conference for non-scholarship football teams composed of Atlantic Sun member schools is now in the beginning stages.

"The question of football in our conference has come up multiple times throughout our history," Atlantic Sun Commissioner Ted Gumbart said. "It makes sense to be a topic of discussion. ... It’s certainly something that we will continue to monitor, as far as the needs of our membership."

Gumbart said ETSU, Campbell, Jacksonville, Mercer and Kennesaw State are among the schools that would be considered if such a conference was formed.

"It’s something that we have on our radar screen," Gumbart said. "We will continue to monitor the number of schools that are interested in or are currently participating in non-scholarship football. So, I think it’s fair to say that we’ll continue to be sensitive to that and try to be able to act when and if the circumstances dictate that we could help meet our memberships’ needs with a new sport."

He said a previously scheduled meeting between university presidents, set for June 3-5 in Daytona Beach, Fla., would be the first realistic opportunity to discuss the proposal.

"What we’ll try to find out with our [member university] presidents as we move along is ... we’ll see what their preference is," Gumbart said. "Whether there’s real interest, or whether there’s passing interest. ... I think our presidents will have the input on that."

http://www.tricities.com/tristate/tri/sp...-0008.html
04-03-2008 04:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.