Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Carter County Thoughts
Bookmark and Share
BucPerson Offline
2nd String

I Root For: ETSU
Carter County Thoughts
Please read the attached article from the Elizabethton paper and post your thoughts. Not sure what I think.

http://www.starhq.com/html/sports/articl...ctrum.html
06-26-2006 01:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

94BUCFAN Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

He makes some valid points, albeit his grammar is lacking.
06-26-2006 01:55 PM
kevster Offline
1st String

I Root For: Go Bucs!!! Back

Other than the obvious grammatical errors, young Tim penned quite a piece. Good for him.
06-26-2006 01:57 PM
BucDoctor Offline
All American

I Root For: UVa, ETSU

Some points are valid, others I take issue with. For instance:

I agree that you should recruit and hopefully sign local players that can contribute to the team and perform in the classroom, but many players that locals are upset that aren't recruited don't sign D1 contracts.

Using this logic, North Carolina could win a national championship with only players from that state. That logic is flawed, dated, and absurd. Please don't hire a coach then tie his hands by dictating his recruiting geography.

Others' mules mileage may vary.
06-26-2006 02:06 PM
kevster Offline
1st String

I'm taking the "half-full" approach and guessing this isn't what he meant. I think he meant that it's hard enough to get excited about tennis or whatever, especially if all - or most of - the players come from other countries. I don't think he was trying to make the jump that all players in basketball or whatever should be local.

He sounds young. I give him credit for taking a stand.
06-26-2006 02:21 PM
Advertisement

PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

I Root For: Justice

This guy is a staff writer at a newspaper?

DO THEY NOT HAVE EDITORS DOWN THERE?

OH MY GOD!

That guy did not take a stand. That guy brought up every old cliche about ETSU sports- some valid- some absurd- and they actually paid him for it.

Even if they paid him in box tops and bottle caps it would have been theft on Chambers part!

I feel sorry for your folks that haven't escaped yet. I really do.
06-26-2006 09:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
kevster Offline
1st String

Pitt,

You're such a light in an otherwise gloomy existence. Where do you get the energy to be such an inspiriation to us all when there is so much negative around.

I pledge, here and now, to follow the example that Pitt has set. To take the high road. To lift up my fellow man, rather than beat him down. Thank you, Pitt, for your shining example.

And, in your own words. YOU ARE AN IDIOT!
06-27-2006 08:07 AM
94BUCFAN Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

If/when the football program returns to ETSU, I would be willing to donate a large chunk of money to have a statue of PITT and ROD in a warm, loving embrace, planted at the entrance to the mini-dome. It can serve as a reminder to the tri-cities that even bitter foes can unite for a worthy cause.

Think of it as an inspiration to the University, not unlike that of the Rocky statue that's back up at the art's center in Philly. 04-chairshot
06-27-2006 10:42 AM
kevster Offline
1st String

I'm in for half of that one!

Great idea. See, Pitt is bringing even more of us together. He is a unifying force in an otherwise destructive world. My hat's off to Pitt!
06-27-2006 11:13 AM
Advertisement

Bucster Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU

Quote:If when the football program returns to ETSU, I would be willing to donate a large chunk of money to have a statue of PITT and ROD in a warm, loving embrace, planted at the entrance to the mini-dome. It can serve as a reminder to the tri-cities that even bitter foes can unite for a worthy cause.

That would be much better than that damn clock tower.
06-27-2006 12:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

I'm convinced I'm the only reason anyone ever mentions ETSU sports.

But the rantings of an egotistical maniac aside, your shots at me- either with love or hate- have only served for me to say-

WAS THAT CHAMBERS ARTICLE A JOKE?

I mean, seriously, it was that bad.

People pick on Tennessee and a lot of it I always thought was unjustified.

But every cliche about east Tennessee being nothing but dumb rubes- you can't deny them after realizing a guy with those language skills was asked to write for the Star.

And that paper wanted at one time to take on the Press.

My, have they fallen!

I am legitimately offended as a reader. I think my intelligence was intentionally insulted.
06-27-2006 12:34 PM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I Root For: ETSU/Mid Majors

I'm sure it has nothing to do with stale cookies and cold pizza during basketball season... ;-)

Seriously though, I'm not sure where the sports editor was, or the managing editor, or for that matter anyone with a grasp of the English language, but they'll figure it out eventually.
06-27-2006 12:50 PM
kevster Offline
1st String

PittsburghBucs Wrote:I'm convinced I'm the only reason anyone ever mentions ETSU sports.

But the rantings of an egotistical maniac aside, your shots at me- either with love or hate- have only served for me to say-

But every cliche about east Tennessee being nothing but dumb rubes- you can't deny them after realizing a guy with those language skills was asked to write for the Star.

And that paper wanted at one time to take on the Press.

My, have they fallen!

I am legitimately offended as a reader. I think my intelligence was intentionally insulted.

Once again, Pit has risen above the muck and given of himself toward the betterment of society as a whole. Rather than insisting that his intelligence was insulted, he wrote "I THINK my intellegence was intentionally insulted."

A lesser man would have insisted that his intellegence was insulted. I think we all need to bow at the alter of Pitt's selflessness and modestly.
06-27-2006 01:31 PM
Advertisement

PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

I don't know whether to bash the guy for nitpicking or accept the compliment . . . .
06-27-2006 05:22 PM
kevster Offline
1st String

You WILL accept it, because that's just the type of person you are. Never one to look for the negative in a comment, you have found a way to find the positve and share it for all to see.

Once again, I stand humbled by your humility, dignity, generosity, high-mindedness, idealism and magnanimity.

I suggest someone create a forum dedicated to discussing the positive aspects of Pitt. If only there were a server big enough to hold the flux of information ...
06-28-2006 12:15 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
marky marky marky
I read this site all the time, but felt a need to register and post on this one.

Marky has legitimate beef with Elizabethton. He still holds a grudge because Jamie Combs wouldn't hire him at the star. He tried to get LaMountain's position. How many times did you apply there Marky? Once, Twice, Three Times... actually more than that. Jamie's not there anymore so there's your answer for the editing. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with the article.

As far as Tim goes, I know of him - he is in his mid to late 40's and his son played on Unaka's state title team.

I think they only have four writers now with the Holtsclaw kid, Sheek, Chambers and Birchfield.
07-03-2006 12:22 AM
Quote this message in a reply
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

I can honestly say that not only have I not applied for a position at the Elizabethton Star since PRIOR to my graduation from ETSU 10 years ago, but it makes no sense that I would, either.

Actually, wait, that was the Johnson City Star I applied to.
07-03-2006 05:28 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.