Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What? The Golf Team Didn't Make the NCAA Championships?
Bookmark and Share
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

I Root For: Justice
What? The Golf Team Didn't Make the NCAA Championships?
From the JC Press-

ETSU golfers miss cut at NCAA Championships

By From staff reports

SUNRIVER, Ore. ? After a slow start in the NCAA tournament Wednesday, Rhys Davies ended up coming a lot closer to extending his season than his East Tennessee State teammates did.
Davies shot a two-under-par 70 Friday at the 7,630-yard Crosswater Golf Club, but ended up missing a playoff by one stroke. The top six golfers on teams other than the advancing top 15 also move on to today?s fourth round.

Davies, a junior and reigning All-American, climbed from 80th to 30th during the third round. Only eight players shot better than he did Friday. ETSU coach Fred Warren said Davies had an opportunity to shoot three or four shots better thanks to the way he struck the ball.

?Rhys played a solid round,? Warren said. ?He came back strong today and hit the ball very well.?

Davies? teammates didn?t fare as well. Gareth Shaw fell from 23rd to 63rd thanks to a 77. He ended up tied with fellow sophomore teammate Cian McNamara, who shot 74.

The Buccaneers? two freshmen, Jordan Findlay and Adam Hodkinson, shot 77 and 84, respectively. Hodkinson fell from 122nd to 146th and Findlay is 150th.

The Bucs shot 10 over par to finish 21st after beginning the day in 18th position. ETSU would?ve needed to trim 11 shots to reach a playoff with Coastal Carolina and Brigham Young for the 15th spot. (BYU eliminated Coastal by winning the playoff.)

Washington leads the tournament at seven under par. Oklahoma State, Wake Forest and Arizona State are tied for second at three shots back.

Beginning on the back side Friday afternoon, ETSU started slowly. Shaw triple-bogeyed his second hole and double-bogeyed the next one, the 687-yard No. 12. McNamara and Hodkinson also made double bogey there.

Shaw went from 23rd to 75th in the first seven holes, and by the time they?d made the turn, the Bucs were 11 shots below the cut.

? It is nothing to be embarrassed about,? said Warren, who alluded to more parity in today?s college game. ?I think Georgia Tech finished (26th). These were pretty tough conditions and there are a lot of talented golfers out here.?

Even third-round leader Jonathan Moore (Oklahoma State) double-bogeyed No. 12 Friday after making par there in each of the first two rounds. Moore still managed a 69 in round three, moving him to nine under par. That?s one stroke better than Wake Forest?s Kyle Reifers, whose one-over-par 73 dropped him from first.

This was ETSU?s 11th NCAA appearance since Warren was hired in 1986. It was the first appearance in five years for the Bucs, who went eight straight years before that (1994-2001).

?Looking back, we?re not too disappointed, especially after not having been here in a few years,? Warren said. ?This season was a major step in the right direction. Overall, I would say it was a successful season.?

The Bucs finished ninth in 2001 in Durham, N.C., their second best finish ever.

ETSU finished third in 1996 in Ooltewah, one shot ahead of medalist Tiger Woods? Stanford.

OKAY GUYS- AND I'M WRITING IN ALL CAPS NOT TO SHOUT BUT TO DIFFERENTIATE MY WRITING FROM THAT OF THE PRESS.

A FEW THOUGHTS-

THE PREMIER SPORT AT ETSU IS THOUGHT SO HIGHLY OF THAT THE JC PRESS DOES NOT SEND A WRITER OUT TO COVER THEM IN THEIR FIRST NCAA APPEARANCE IN FIVE YEARS.

AND LOOK AT HOW THEY ARE WRITING THIS! AFTER ETSU LOST TO CINCINNATI- DID YOU READ AT THE BOTTOM OF THE STORY "ETSU WON THE FIRST GAME OF THE NCAA TOURNAMENT IN 1968 AND IN 1992?"

IT'S NOW FIVE STRAIGHT YEARS OF NO NCAAS AND THEN A SINGLE APPEARANCE IN WHICH THEY NEVER SERIOUSLY CONTENDED.

ALSO- I PRESUME THAT THE NCAA APPEARANCE THIS YEAR HAD MORE TO DO WITH JOINING THE A-SUN THAN ANY IMPROVEMENT OF THE TEAM. CERTAINLY THE DISAPOINTMENT IN THE NCAAs PROVE THIS.

IT IS TIME FOR WARREN TO GO. HE IS MAKING FAR MORE MONEY THAN HE IS EARNING WITH THE PRODUCT HE IS PRODUCING.

[/b]
06-03-2006 10:57 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I Root For: ETSU/Mid Majors

He can't swing the clubs for them. I don't like the man but when you're number one player plays three sorry ass rounds of golf, there's not much you can do.
Nevermind the fact that they play no seniors, one junior, two sopphomores, and two freshman that graduated high school at 17 and were enrolled at ETSU at the age of 17.
The tourney was in Oregon, though I am suprised Joe Avento didn't go for a free round.
06-04-2006 03:10 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

Here's what I'm asking- would you be satisfied if the Press said that they weren't sending someone out to cover an NCAA Tournament game the Bucs were in that was played in Oregon?

I don't think you would.

I'm not buying the "he can't swing the clubs for them" excuse any more than I'm buying the "injuries and he can't put the ball in the bucket for them" excuse for Murry Bartow.

Only you get more of your dollar's worth with Bartow.
06-04-2006 03:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I Root For: ETSU/Mid Majors

How so? How many times has Murry Bartow had the ETSU men's basketball team nationally ranked? And don't tell me he brings in fans, he doesn't.
And yea, there is only so much you can do, Cian, Rhys and Gareth played HORRIBLE the whole weekend, and no amount of coaching can change that on the golf course.
Like I said, I don't like the man and I'm not making excuses but he couldn't have done much else, and truthfully, ETSU being the 21st place team IN THE NATION in anything at all isn't too bad.
06-04-2006 04:22 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

Being #21 in NCAA Golf is totally meaningless. If you had any idea as to what goes on when people vote on anything below No. 5 in a non Division I-A college football or basketball poll- it is based on little more than picking names out of hats and, in ETSU's case, voting on past glory (of which there was- at best- a No. 3 ranking).

Good example- check out the differences in college baseball polls. There's more information to be had about college baseball than college golf, but still there are major discrepencies between where the teams are ranked.

If I'm ranked No. 10 by USA Today but not ranked by Baseball America, what does my ranking really mean?

That #21 ranking was based little more than some golf writer- who is probably not even a full-time sportswriter- saying:

"Oh, wait- ETSU. I remember Fred Warren ten years ago when we had some drinks together and . . . yeah, they have a winning record? Okay. I remember them. Good program. I'll vote for them as my No. 12 team."

Guarantee you the guys voting on that poll- half of them couldn't name a single golfer on ETSU and none of them could name all of them.

A minority will know ETSU isn't in the So Con anymore.

Sorry, but that's the way she lays.
06-04-2006 04:52 PM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Actually the title of your thread is wrong Pitt, as most of your posts are.
ETSU's golf team did make the NCAA Championship. Thats what they were in Oregon playing. They were 1 of 36 teams to make the tournament. They came in 18th, they missed the cut to play on Saturday and Sunday Top 15 advanced but they did in fact make the NCAA tournament Pitt. No wonder you keep moving down the chain as a sports writer you don't let facts get in the way of a good story.

R
06-04-2006 06:25 PM
Advertisement

PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

I move down the chain?

How did going from Sports Talk to cover story in Baseball Digest and a staff position at the newspaper that essentially gave birth to the Republican Party mean "move down the chain."

You have serious credibility problems, my PI friend.

Anyway, typos aside, here's the question I want to know from you.

Are you in favor of Fred Warren keeping his job?
06-04-2006 08:36 PM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Wow you have an hour commute from Pittsburgh to Wheeling to cover girls soccer and hockey in a city about half the size of Johnson City. Must suck tonot be able to write for Post Gazette in the city you live anymore or even find a job in the same state.
06-05-2006 01:25 AM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

First it was "You're just a free-lancer"- even though I was covering the NFL- and then it's a staff position and it's "You're on your way down."

So what is it Rod?

All I know is I wrote the cover of Baseball Digest last month. Might not be Sports Illustrated, but it's still not exactly unimpressive.

And, um, Rod, I think we discussed what happened to Sports Talk when I left in another thread.

By the way, how's the spying on cheating spouses business going?

No wonder you're so cynical.

And quit dodging the question-

SHOULD FRED WARREN BE KEPT ON????????
06-05-2006 09:31 AM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

As I think I have pointed out to you before a long time ago I haven't worked as a PI since 1997.

R
06-05-2006 10:18 AM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

You've never pointed that out- but congrats on being out of work for 10 years.

NOW- QUIT DODGING THE BULLET AND ANSWER THE DAMNED QUESTION!

Should Fred Warren accompany you on the unemployment line?
06-05-2006 10:28 AM
Advertisement

Bucster Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU

Nothing quite like a Pitt vs Rod Shaw argument now only if we had The Doctor in here to join it would be like the good ole days.
06-05-2006 11:39 AM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

WHEN I AM KING sandal wearing, Volvo driving, NPR listening people will be outlawed!

OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!

Actually, now that I think about it, I'd welcome thedoctor on here if he would only answer the question of whether or not Fred Warren should be fired or not.
06-05-2006 12:31 PM
Bucster Offline
All American

I'd like to see The Doctor or "Bunny" as Pitt used to call him, but last time I checked he was still lurking around the soconhoops board bringing up threads that are a year old.
06-05-2006 01:32 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

I'm trying to remember why I called him Bunny.

He most certainly will never breed!

My favorite is that he would take shots at me- still does- when he knows I can't fire back there. How Gutless!

Also, now after he would say that I had no influence, even as Tony Stewart was holding my articles up to a national audience on FOX, now he is suddenly the most influential shaper of sports opinion in the Tri-Cities.

"Did you see where they got this off our board?"

"Thank you, Trey, for vaugely touching upon the point I made 20 months ago."

Biggest bore on earth. Go back to the Eastland Mall thread and see how he just did not get it.

And this is what is most scary of all-

HE'S EVEN MORE LONG WINDED THAN ME!!!! 04-jawdrop
06-05-2006 04:32 PM
Bucster Offline
All American

From what I remember "Bunny" derived from the popular Energizer Bunny because The Doctor, just like the Energizer Bunny, kept going and going. Is this correct?
06-05-2006 10:42 PM
Advertisement

PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

You are correct, sir! ;-)
06-05-2006 11:18 PM
rockytopbearcat Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Ahhhh... The good ole days. We could talk about Hamilton running the full back up the center's rear, think we had a shot at making a run in the tourney in b'ball, kids made good grades, and Tree Street, Rod, "Bunny" and Marky had some of the most entertaining, while sometimes irrelevant, arguments that could be imagined.

If I could turn back the hands of time!
06-06-2006 08:07 AM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

Who would have thought that RockyTop would have turned into Cher?
06-06-2006 09:33 AM
rockytopbearcat Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Come one oh child of Bill campbell... Cher's song was "If I Could Turn Back Time"

I was thinking nothing of the fishnet wonder prancing around on a ship with a bunch of sailors.
06-06-2006 07:23 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.