Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Top five highest paid golf coach CHOKES!
Bookmark and Share
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I Root For: ETSU/Mid Majors
Top five highest paid golf coach CHOKES!
I'm so proud of our two million dollar facility, oh I'm sorry, 2.2 million dollar facility, and all these supposed great golfers from Great Britain and Ireland. Men's golf, SECOND PLACE in the A-Sun! Jacksonville is better than us. Rhys wasn't even the highest finisher on OUR OWN TEAM, let alone the tournament.
So let's here, we pay our golf coach six figures, have a state of the art golf facility, supposedly a top ten golf team, and finish second in our own conference tournament, to a team THAT HAD NEVER WON A CONFERENCE TITLE IN GOLF!
The Mullins three on the choke fest...

MBB-15-13, first round exit.
Men's Tennis- regular season champs, no postseason as they lost to BELMONT in the semis of their tourney.
MGOLF - National ranking, can't win in the lowly A-Sun.

I thought we'd paid coaches to win championships, not finish second. SECOND SUCKS in ANYTHING!
04-19-2006 04:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

I Root For: Justice

I'm convinced ETSU will never be any good until they get rid of Fred Warren.

For the money they pay him they do not get any of the investment back.
04-19-2006 10:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MercerFan Offline
Orange & Black

I Root For: The Bears

Donators

I noticed UNF was participating in the event... anyone know why they were allowed?
04-20-2006 12:26 AM
Owlzfan84 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Kennesaw State

well it is golf..doesnt matter how good you are all it takes is one off day to lose a tourney..and thats what happend. you all are prob better then jacksonville 4 out of 5 times u play..just so happend that this time was the one time u werent.
04-20-2006 12:29 AM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

This is when it matters, bottom line. That second place trophy will look nice right next to the women's golf stuff. Funny, the two teams finish identical in their conference tourneys and the women's team hasn't been around that long.
04-20-2006 01:28 AM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

And also, A-Sun fans, Fred Warren is one of the highest paid golf coaches in the country and really has done nothing to show for it.

I mean he hasn't. If you were paying him on par with what a golf coach generally makes at this level, then, yes, a team that contends for conference championships would be okay.

But Warren is living off a No. 3 ranking in 1996 and hasn't done anything since then. Second in the A-Sun, third in the Southern Conference, and no local players.

ETSU really needs to de-emphasize golf. I won't say that "we'd still have football and be in the Southern Conference" if they had, because it really was the petty agenda of an athletic director who had no business being hired in the first place, but the ship isn't sailing right until this guy quits hording the money.
04-20-2006 10:32 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Owlzfan84 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Kennesaw State

how much is this golf coach of yours paid? and do u really get second place trophy? in that case kennesaw got one for track.
04-20-2006 12:47 PM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

He makes over six figures, and gets 50k every five years just for staying. By the same token, he raises his own money to cover his budget, but if you're going to dump as much money in as golf has seen recently, top results should happen.
And Marky, there's not been a local golfer in the last five years good enough to play competitive D-one... They tried to Andrew Paduch, who was decent at the local municipal course, but anything remotely challenging he was garbage.
Oh and I don't really pride myself on facts, I didn't get a good look at the complete results, we finished third, behind first year D-1 member North Florida.
04-20-2006 03:09 PM
rockytopbearcat Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
Actually there have been several kids over the...
last five years who have played D1 golf and for teams who make the NCAA tourney. Fabulous Fred just doesn't go after them.
04-21-2006 12:11 AM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I've not legitimately seen a local golfer from the Tri-Cities good enough to compete at the supposed national level that Fabulous Fred "competes" on.
I know of maybe three guys that could walk-on the golf team that are at ETSU right now, but he would never give them the chance to do it. One could probably make it, the guy plays The Ridges from the pro-tees and shoots low 70's...
04-21-2006 03:06 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

My point is that if you got rid of Warren, you would have potential athletic donors who would be willing to give to other sports.

I don't see where it serves Warren to have the budget and salary he does for the results he does.

Perhaps the people Warren brings in from overseas live the rest of their life in Johnson City and start up businesses that employ thousands. I don't know.

But a couple of years ago when Clemson won a National Championship with all players from South Carolina- it sent a message to me.

And I can't help but wonder if ETSU would be better off not participating in tournaments with the Oklahoma States and Stanfords of the golf world, but with local colleges and local players.

Addition by subtraction, if you will.
04-22-2006 10:06 AM
Advertisement

rockytopbearcat Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
Not in the last five years...
but Chip Spratlin, I believe was his name, from Johnson City played his golf at lowly Auburn and won the NCAA individual championship. Currently, Brad Robinson and Scot Ploucha, both from JC play for programs at Coastal and Wilmington and have played in the NCAA tourney. They are not the top player on their team but are top three.
04-22-2006 08:22 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

Bearcat- Are you saying that Lover- AKA J.D. LaRue- gets information from bad sources and doesn't know what he's talking about?

No! Can't be!
04-23-2006 10:02 AM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

As much as I hate the man personally give Dub his due. ETSU golf is a nationally recognized program. He tried locals, he tried the American kids a few years back, and his teams were in the tank. I don't fault the guy for trying to win, I fault him for being a ******* and NOT winning when the big one is on the line.
And let's be honest, which would you rather have, three guys who have participated in the NCAA tourney, or a TEAM who goes and finishes in the top 10/15 yearly with the Brits/Irish/Scottish kids.
I don't know who the three guys are you're talking about, but in their cases, why would they come to ETSU when two of those guys are playing AT THE BEACH and the other went to a BCS conference program, and was probably an Auburn fan to begin with.
04-23-2006 11:18 AM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

That doesn't make any sense.

For the investment they give golf, I don't want a No. 3 team 10 years ago.

I want a program that competes on a national level- A REAL ONE.

Conference championships. NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP CONTENTION!!!!!

We have neither.
04-23-2006 12:10 PM
rockytopbearcat Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
You may not know who they are...
and neither does Fred "I love cats" Warren!!!

I guarantee you that ETSU spends more on golf than any of these three schools and probably more than UNCW and Coastal combined. However, I feel that this golf program does nothing to contribute to the overall mission of the University. Whereas, having sixty kids from within a 150 mile radius getting an education and often staying within the region to utilize that education does serve the mission. Golf at ETSU is its own entity, not a member of the Univeristy community or the Tri-Cities region as a whole.
04-23-2006 12:54 PM
Advertisement

Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I see your point in some cases, but once Warren went back to foreign players, they went back to competing nationally. I'm very frank about not liking him, I think deciding between him and Dave Mullins is like deciding between a complete douche and a terd sandwich.
How many of the football guys actually stayed here? I remember a guy by the name of Alex Todt who played at ETSU, he coached at Va. High for about three years, left to a northern Va. school... Or Jatavis Sanders, back in the Atlanta area. Granted if that's the same Greg Stubbs I think it is, he stayed behind, and kudos for building a heck of a program. I see where the local recruits stayed here, but the kids that were brought in from out of the area, how many stayed? And truthfully, how many locals stayed because let's be honest, the Tri-Cities is not a hot bed for good paying jobs.
Keep in mind that Warren raises his own dollars, which kind of sucks in a sense, but oh well.
04-23-2006 01:31 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

Lover- If you don't like Mullins- then why do you approve of his treatment of me?
04-23-2006 04:26 PM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

You're comments about Tim Mullins among other things speak for themselves. As a member of the media you have to show some respect to get any, no matter what market you're in.
04-23-2006 07:34 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

What did I say about Tim Mullins?

WHO is Tim Mullins?
04-23-2006 09:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.