Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Soccer Facility
Bookmark and Share
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

I Root For: Justice
The Soccer Facility
Saw where they were breaking ground on a new soccer facility-

Now, I have a theory. It is nothing more than a theory, but it seems to fit the facts.

Sports have cultures surrounding them. Certainly the fan base around basketball is different than that around hockey, NASCAR, etc.

Football is, in my opinion, the last "everyman" sport. It is disciplined, almost militaristic.

The sort of thing a lefty elitist absolutely hates. Why- we can't even Title IX that sport!

So, if I'm putting down a blueprint to try and make a University a left-wing bastion in the Bible Belt, if I'm trying to instill that left-wing culture, I'm going to do away with football and bring in soccer.

Along with gangsta rappers, performing arts centers, etc.
01-26-2006 07:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BucNIowa Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

I have not seen the soccer facility plans, but is it possible that it could double up for football in the future if State brings football back? Are they building it with the capability of expanding/converting it to a football stadium? I am trying to be optimistic about bringing football back once the current administration leaves.
01-26-2006 08:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

You can try to be optimistic but it is foolish to do so.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't they building this facility on the old football fields?

I think that answers that question.

Look, there is no reason to be optimistic about this athletic program. None.

Even if ETSU goes through the rest of the NCAAs, keep in mind the idea of being a mid-major that is looked upon with a bit of respect- like UNC-Wilmington was a few years back or ETSU was a couple of years ago when Sports Illustrated picked the Bucs for the Sweet 16, are over.

They are going to look at the poor out-of-conference mark and the RPI of the Conference. An ETSU tournament team would have the appearance that, say, UNC-Asheville has had in recent times.

And the subsequent thrashing that the Bucs will get from one of the big boys will only reinforce the inferiority complex the University has, which was avoided previously by playing competetively against the Oklahomas and Wake Forests.
01-26-2006 08:42 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I Root For: ETSU/Mid Majors

Iowa,

Yes it is VERY POSSIBLE to turn it into a football stadium. They are building the soccer complex on the OLD track, as well as some of the outfield from the dump of a baseball field that they let UH play in. The old practice fields for football are used as intramural fields for the most part these days.
The soccer complex will run so that the sun will never be in either team's eyes when going into the attacking third of the field. It will have lights and all that jazz.
The key to it becoming a football stadium is a change up top, until the change comes, or unless someone comes in with a treasure chest full of dollars, it'll be tough to pull off.
01-27-2006 01:39 AM
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators

They are building the soccer stadium + 3 practice fields. Now what do they need 3 practice fields for??
01-27-2006 03:15 AM
Advertisement

ETSUKA88 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:
Press the Press on this issue
We need to email the local papers on why is ETSU adding MENS SOCCER when their 2 main reasons for dropping football were Losing Money and Title IX compliance. We are losing more money now than before we dropped football and if dropping football help in our Title IX efforts wont adding MENS soccer hurt in our Title IX efforts? 01-wingedeagle
01-27-2006 09:51 AM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

That's why I say this move is more cultural than anything else.

I haven't seen the plans, but forgive me if I'm skeptical of JD LaRue's grasp of stadium architecture, locker room and luxury box needs, etc.
01-27-2006 12:42 PM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

A friend of mine did a story on it for ETSU's TV show, and I've asked about what they intend to do with it, so yea, everything is true about it. According to the artists rendition it'll be too nice to be a soccer stadium. I truthfully think there is positioning being done as far as capital improvements go that IF football comes back, they'll have the facilities in place for it, i.e. practice fields, outdoor stadium, etc...
01-27-2006 02:41 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

What do you mean "too nice to be a soccer stadium?"

This cockeyed optimism- it's like the Jews at the beginning of the Nazis taking over Germany who said "well, maybe it won't be so bad."

Thankfully, ETSU fans aren't going to gas chambers- though one wonders if JD LaRue wouldn't eagerly inhale deeply if he was.

No, they are just being asked to support a second-tier athletic program. I

The one thing I don't get is that the A-Sun is a baseball conference- so assuming Lover is correct (a big assumption)- you'd think instead of building a soccer stadium on it they'd try to improve Mooney Field as- at the bare minimum- a practice facility.

But, hey, baseball is the national pastime- and we all know ETSU doesn't like to bring in American athletes.
01-28-2006 01:19 PM
Advertisement

Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I am right on this moron. I was at the press conference the day the plans were announced, and have known they were breaking ground on it in January since that day. The intent is that all home soccer matches will be played there.
As far as it being too nice for soccer, if they go through with this walkway plan they keep talking about, though really incredible looking on paper, just doesn't make sense for a sport that isn't going to draw anything at all, ever.
Now as for Mooney Field, it's a DUMP. Don't be bitter because UH doesn't have a place to play anymore.
I've never said I supported the move, I'm just trying to be hopeful that they are putting themselved in a position that if football DOES return, they'll have the facilities in place.
01-30-2006 01:30 AM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

Here we go again.

Fine. You were at the announcement.

And during this announcement- did they say they were bringing back football?

It doesn't make sense for them to pay Fred Warren what they do. It doesn't make sense for them to make "Football Fans" their play-by-play announcer. It doesn't make sense for them to do ANYTHING they do.

When are you going to understand that?
01-30-2006 08:34 AM
ETSUKA88 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:
cross post from Bucs4Life
I sent this email to a local paper reporter today. I think we should all send similar emails to the papers and TV stations. What do you think?

I was hoping you could get Mr. Mullins to answer a few simple of questions for me.

If ETSU dropped football because it was losing so much money how is it they are projected to lose more this year than the last year they had football?
If ETSU dropped football because it was drain on their budget, why are they adding men
01-30-2006 01:11 PM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

Must be rough knowing that both Chuck Jones and Jay are better than you... Tough pill to swallow.
Truthfully though, I do agree about the football thing, there wasn't an announcement about it, but you know what, the facilities that are being built just leave the impression that if football is brought back, then it won't cost extra in new facilities, just more stands, a scoreboard, etc...
And you are right, Fred Warren doesn't deserve what he's paid. Third highest paid golf coach in D-1 and no national titles, and on top of that calling him a horses ass would be slanderous to horses asses...
The Pharmacy decision did make sense, just not at the expense of football.
Now, onto the Title IX deal. I ran into someone over there that said to remain compliant, they'll add schollys in women's sports that don't have a full compliment. (Not too hard since Women's basketball is the only one that does). Men's soccer will start with 3.5 scholarships (yes they're going to be AWFUL), meaning that they only have to add 3.5 between softball, volleyball, tennis, golf, track and field, etc...
As for the rest KA, keep in mind that Dave was cut out of the same mold as Fred Warren, Richard Nixon, and various other sorry leaders from the last 200 years of civilized society...
I can't wait til enough A-Sun schools get football and they start sponsoring it, that day is coming within the next ten years. It only takes six to do it.
01-31-2006 07:12 PM
Advertisement

PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

The amount of unfactual rumors about me at ETSU is simply amazing. My favorite was in 1997 I was making tapes of PJ Grinsell and going to send it to the Athletic Director showing his mistakes.

I can be an SOB (yes, it's true)- but the only reason that people make this stuff up is that I'm the guy who tells it like it is and the people who have something to lose by that- administration- for instance- are offended when I hit the nail on the head.

Same thing happened to MommaBear.

What is amazing is that I don't even live or work there anymore and they still talk about me. You're such a propaganda shill you come off as David Mullins nephew or something and live in this fantasy world where the Atlantic Sun is going to add football!

Last comment I want to make on the subject is that one guy who does have my talent is Jay Santos. He's one of the few things- maybe the only thing- ETSU has going for him.

The horrible thing is how WJHL misuses him. They have the Bucs play-by-play guy, for God's sake, and a good one. Put him in front of the damned camera doing the sports instead of splicing audio tape or whatever they have him do!

But that's typical Johnson City. Hell, they'll probably fire him now because I like him.
02-01-2006 10:00 AM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

Don't worry Georgia Ann can't fire him because HE NO LONGER WORKS THERE... Guess that's hard to figure out 400 miles away.
People don't talk about you unless there's a joke about mullets, stalking, or general megalomaniacal behavior.
And yes, the A-Sun could concievably add football. It takes six teams, and would require scholarship ball being added at Jacksonville, but G-Dub and JU have it, Lipscomb and Campbell want it is four, If Lipscomb gets it then Belmont will to keep up with the Joneses so to speak is fivc teams. Find a sixth and it's their option. I mean of course this is all speculation, but the possibility is there.
02-01-2006 05:27 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

What was that you were saying about 400 miles away?

Seeing as how I do not have a mullet or stalk people (same can't be said for you of me, however) then evidentily the place is as screwed up as it ever was.

And you keep waiting for that A-Sun football conference to happen. That'll do wonders for your credibility.

By the way, I don't get the reference and am not sure that I believe you, but if Jay Santos no longer works at WJHL then that is that station's loss.

Again- how screwed up to you have to be to not make the ETSU play-by-play guy a sports anchor- especially when he's in house?

Wait! Look who I'm asking.

I guess it's about as screwed up as you have to be to not give DeChellis credit, to keep posting ludicrous falsehoods about me because I point out how stupid you are (are you going to go after my mom again, LaRue? Is that how strong your game is?), to wipe David Mullins' balls, to believe the A-Sun will have football . . . .
02-01-2006 06:08 PM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

WJHL's weekend guy got the shaft from a house cleaning in Oklahoma City and in the process of just wanting to remain in the business he ended up here. Kasey and Kenny right now are pretty popular in sports.
I guess we don't need to contact the volleyball player in Washington do we...
And I never said football in the A-Sun WOULD happen, I said it's a POSSIBILITY. The CAA did it finally, and they went from nothing to a conference that has 4 of it's 6 current playing members that are year in year out playoff contenders.
The actions have spoken for themselves... You no longer write for anyone down here, and you're more worried about credibility on a message board than anything else.
What's great about this whole thing is you don't know who I am. Not at all... What I do know is that when was in lurk mode on this board, I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt, and I asked some people what the heck the deal was, you make SOME valid points, but you're too busy worrying about yourself, and trying to trash other people than using the talents that you have.
And I've never said I agree with anything our administration does right now, I watched them let a line form on Bobblehead/Survivor Saturday and REFUSE to sell tickets any earlier, so people could do their audition, and get their fannies in the seats for the game. Guess it was a good thing, we lost.
02-02-2006 01:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.