Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

How to Force the Changes Needed
Bookmark and Share
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

I Root For: Justice

I've been wrestling with the idea of how to show dissatisfaction with the ETSU athletic dept.

It's rather obvious they are pumping the attendance figures. I'm to believe that there is no drop in attendance from the So Con title days if I read the box scores.

Right.

There has to be a public show of unsatisfaction on the part of the ETSU fan for people to rise up and notice.

So, let me propose something-

A one-game boycott of an ETSU men's basketball game. Perhaps the one on Dec. 29 at 7 p.m. for Morehead State- since the attendance should be down with no students on campus- or Jan. 4- when the Atlantic Sun Conference schedule begins in earnest against Florida Atlantic.

Just imagine the look on David Mullins face when he looks at Memorial Center when his hand-picked conference begins and NOBODY is there.

It would legitimately force ETSU to make changes- to quit putting golf and tennis first and to realize they are not going to get away with destroying the athletic dept.

Furthermore, it would probably have a lasting effect. People would realize they have other things to do than pay to watch a bad basketball program that is part of an athletic dept. that has done nothing but let them down.

What would Stanton do then? What could he do then? He would have simply no choice but to consider bringing back football and getting ETSU back into a real conference in order to increase his college's identity or he would be forced to resign.

Here's how you do it-

We choose a game. Immediately we introduce a press release to all local media- from the JC Press to local TV, radio, print and internet media (and if they refuse to mention it- we call Bill Meade's show every day).

Moreso- we ADVERTISE it. For this I am going to ask the football foundation to start doing something than holding dinners and golf events to say "remember when" and actually start being proactive.

Start handing out flyers at the ETSU games coming up and/on campus. What can they do?

If the foundation is as viable as Kim says it is- they should be able to promote this.

What do you say folks? I can coordinate this thing- but now all I need is a response from the following to GIT R DONE!!!!
12-04-2005 09:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BucNIowa Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

What is the message the players would receive from such a display? Can you imagine going out on the court for warm-ups and nobody is there? I know you will say that the players will know that this boycott is not about them. I mean really, SoCon or A-Sun, These are both one team tourney bid conferences anyway. From the football standpoint, I would like to see football back. But I do not think a boycott will be a catalyst for change in the department.

I think there are other ways of expressing your disgust with the state of the athletic department. Instead of a boycot, how about a rally to show support for the players who have to play with all the distractions coming from the fans about how the school's athletic programs are terrible because we don't have football?

Some would make the case that ETSU is playing in a terrible basketball conference. Two things I would say to that. First, we have done nothing to prove that we do not deserve to be in this conference the way we have been playing. (However, check out the Lady Bucs right now. They are plundering the A-Sun.) Second, I would say that the SoCon was a one-team tourney bid conference too. Any team that comes out of either conference with any hope of getting a relativly high seed needs to have some BIG wins out of the conference and then take care of business within the conference in an impressive manner, to get two teams in the tourney will take an act from the hand of God.

A boycott, come on, does anybody else think this would work?
12-05-2005 12:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

Oh please. What would the players think if nobody was in the stands?

"Hey, this is like playing at Campbell!"

They'd be over it in three seconds. They'd thank you eventually when it resulted in the greater good in the long run.

A march or a protest doesn't work. It can easily be ignored- and a previous "Save ETSU Football" rally two years ago was laughed at by the administration when only a few dozen showed up.

You need to hit these people in the pocketbook. They understand that real quick.

As far as SoCon vs. A-Sun, yes, they are both one-bid leagues. And nobody outside of the area gives a damn about the conferences- either.

Of course, do you really care about the Pac-10? Sure it's fun to watch Southern California play football and you read about Matt Leinhart and Shannen Doherty on the gossip pages but did you HAVE to have that Oregon State-Washington basketball score?

Think in Corvallis they HAVE to have the Tennessee-Ole Miss hoops score?

Of course not.

However, if Southern Cal dropped from the Pac-10 and joined the WAC, we'd know it was a step down. Doesn't mean that a WAC school couldn't beat the Trojans one day, that they don't play good football in the WAC, that they couldn't keep the UCLA and Notre Dame rivalries.

However, people would want to know what the heck Mike Garrett was doing and they'd stay away in droves- heads would roll- and Southern Cal would be back in the PAC-10 before you knew.

So what's our excuse- except for fans who want to make excuses for this ineptitude by essentially saying "It's not that bad!"
12-05-2005 12:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
FrustratedetsuBucsFan1988 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Pittsburgh....I am as frustrated as anyone (hence my name change), but boycotting a game is not the thing to do. I agree with Iowa, just not classy. How about this for a new idea, have an even bigger crowd show up in support of the team! But maybe thats just not radical enough. Let's face it. Buc basketball fans got spoiled in the early 90s, and re-spoiled a few years ago. But making them play in front of empty seats would only makes things worse. (You would'nt be able to pull that off anyway).

I am still trying to be optimistic, very hard, but trying. Go Bucs.
12-05-2005 02:11 PM
Advertisement

BigBlueFan1 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Pittiful, as on the other boards, you are back to your idiot self not thinking things through. Yes a boycott would hurt walkup sales and concessions, but that is it. Season tickets are already paid for, so you are not hitting them in the pocketbook. And like the others have posted, it would be a horrible thing for the players to run out on the court and see no one there.
12-05-2005 02:23 PM
Bucfaithful Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ETSU

A win at Clemson sure would help to turn things around. Its going to be extremely tough, however. Clemson's looking pretty solid this year. Yikes.
12-05-2005 03:26 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

A date with Jenna Jameson would improve your sex life, too, but it's not going to happen.

Guys- let me explain to you something-

ACC- BEST CONFERENCE IN BASKETBALL

CLEMSON- UNDEFEATED TEAM AND MEMBER OF THE ACC

A-Sun- WORST Conference in Basketball

ETSU- 1-4 and a member of the A-Sun.

Now what in the world makes you think the Bucs will win this game?

Cockeyed optimism? Delusions? Insanity?

I suppose there's always the chance that the Tigers get locked in the locker room but other than that, how do you think ETSU will win this game?

I swear to God, I'll bet after the Bucs get smashed tonight that someone will post on here "it's not as bad as when UNC beat ETSU in 1987."

This is what we're left with! MADNESS!
12-05-2005 06:43 PM
Advertisement

FrustratedetsuBucsFan1988 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

PittsburghBucs Wrote:I swear to God, I'll bet after the Bucs get smashed tonight that someone will post on here "it's not as bad as when UNC beat ETSU in 1987."
Ummmm, I can guarantee the Bucs will not loose to Clemson tonight.
12-05-2005 09:01 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

But they will "loose" on Friday.
12-06-2005 11:01 AM
Bucfaithful Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ETSU

Pitt, your condescension is ubnoxious. I'm will aware of who we're playing.
Re-read my post. I said a win would turn things around. "Would", meaning hypothetically. Wouldn't you agree with that statement? Beating a tough ACC team would turn any struggling team around.

That's not saying we will, or it's even a remote likelihood.
12-06-2005 01:49 PM
Advertisement

PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

I am reminded of one of the all-time Radio Rants of all time by Don Imus-

"Do you know those cyanide capsules you all carry with you?

"Take them now."

Because that is the situation we are in now. You can continue to look at pie-in-the-sky ideas like "maybe we'll beat Clemson!" but it is foolish to do so.

The only reason I can think of that there hasn't been more criticism is that moonshine is still very popular in east Tennessee.

Which is the only thing left that can actually make this athletic dept look good.
12-08-2005 08:10 AM
andone Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Pitt you are an idiot. ETSU has done nothing in the A-Sun. Until they do and I am confident they will, stop whining. I think you are finding out that the A-Sun is no push over league. By the way Campbell sells out every home game (although we don't seat many).
12-09-2005 09:02 AM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

Where do you come off talking to me like that?

Are you actually so stupid that you think I'm coming in here saying "ETSU Will Run Over the A-Sun?"

READ THROUGH THE POSTS! Slowly!

ETSU couldn't run over a senior citizen with a walker crossing the street right now (though I'm sure if you gave David Mullins the chance . . .).

Here's what I'm saying. ETSU isn't doing anything with the current administration who have ripped down the program.
12-09-2005 11:46 AM
Advertisement

RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Well we lost by 8 so didn't get killed by Clemson to.
BTW Pitt you are in fact an idiot, and if anybody wants the proof just go back and pick any thread you ever started or contributed to on the old board and start reading.

And I will tell you where I come offf talking to you like that, I have wasted a whole lot of my time reading your crap.

Rod
Not in the mood for your rants
12-10-2005 01:16 AM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

I find it interesting to see where you call me an idiot when you continue to ECHO everything I ever said about Tim Smith.

Guess that makes two idiots, huh?

Or could it be that you can't get over the fact that it is my style to be critical when criticism is needed?
12-10-2005 10:59 AM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

I have chosen to revive this thread because I want to revive the idea that I had about a boycott.

That loss to Lipscolm should have awakened you. You have GOT to do something about it- and I am calling for a boycott of the A-Sun tourney.

Save your money. Give it to charity. If you are still interested in the team follow them on radio or whatever TV this tourney will have.

But DO NOT go to this tournament.

Spare me the thoughts on the feelings of the players. That arguement was so bogus it made no sense to begin with.

Besides, it's not as if they would visit you in the hospital if you ever got sick.

Imagine if ETSU plays in the tournament to more fans of their opposition. If that were to happen it would be such an embarasment to the rest of the league that heads internally would roll.

And, heck, it's the only way left to fire up this team anyway.

This is the sort of thing they will give you instead of football and a winning basketball program that could occassionally hang with the big boys- watching Lipcolm and Belmont for the right to play for the NCAA Tourament head chopping.

You've GOT to show them it's not acceptable.

Stay away. Stay very far away.
02-25-2006 04:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.