Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Blue / Gold scrimmage
Bookmark and Share
etsuBucsFan1988 Offline
Millennial Grief Counselor

I Root For: ETSU Hoops

I understand it will be the 29th. Any "local posters" going to it and maybe can give us a report on how the new guys look?
10-23-2005 05:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BigBlueFan1 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

It's 4:00 Saturday afternoon. The highlight of homecoming (unless you count the cricket match). Looking foward to seeing the new guys. I have heard that there may be TOO much talent for the amount of court time that is available. We shall see.....
10-24-2005 08:46 AM
etsuBucsFan1988 Offline

Hopefully the Mini Dome will still be standing after the crap concert...I mean rap concert. :laugh:
10-24-2005 09:39 AM
Bucfaithful Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ETSU

etsuBucsFan1988 Wrote:I understand it will be the 29th. Any "local posters" going to it and maybe can give us a report on how the new guys look?
I live in Jonesborough and definitely plan on attending. I'll be sure to share my impressions. As far as the new talent....I have heard great things about all of them at one time or another. Eryk Thomas has been especially praised from everyone I've spoken to. I can't wait to see who Bartow starts. It really looks like every position--other than Brad and Tim--are up for grabs. Too much talent is a good problem to have.
10-24-2005 01:12 PM
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators

My opinion.

Pre blue gold game starters:
PG Tim Smith
SG Courtney Pigram
3G Ben Rhoda
F Dillion Sneed
F Brad Nuckles

We'll see what happens in that game and we will see who impresses.
10-24-2005 04:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bucs77 Offline
Special Teams

I was able to watch a practice the other night. All of the new recruits really impressed me. Eryk Thomas the JC player will definitely help us this year, he seems to be very quick and athletic and shoots the ball well inside and out. Kenyona Swader the other JC player is like having a 6'8" guard; he handles the ball well and has great range on his shot. Courtney Pigram definitely looked good. He was very quick, handled the ball well, shot well, and saw the floor well. Tayloe Taylor really impressed me with his speed and athletic ability. Dante Williams is definitely a pure shooter. He really reminds me of Matt McKillop of Davidson. Shaun Keaton is definitely going to be a great point guard he shot the ball well and appeared to have good vision of the floor. As for the starters it was hard to determine, it did appear that Tim, Brad, Dillion, Ben, and Courtney were the main five that I saw that night. As for returning players Andrew really looked good he has defiantly put on some extra muscle. I believe this will be a great season at least we will have a deeper bench this year.
10-25-2005 12:46 PM
Advertisement

Bucfaithful Offline
Heisman

Thanks for the scouting report. Your impressions are consistent with what everyone has told me as well. Based on what you observed, do you think Courtney will bump Travis out of the 2-slot?
10-26-2005 10:08 AM
bucs77 Offline
Special Teams

That is a tough question. If I were Bartow I would really be having a hard time selecting a starting lineup. I think Travis will still start just because he is a junior and has more experience. But I think Pigram will definitely see plenty of playing time. I would not be surprised to see us play 9-10 players every game this year.
10-26-2005 09:49 PM
etsuBucsFan1988 Offline

ETSUfan1, Not sure if they would load one team up like that. Usually in these type games they try to make it a little more balanced. It will be interesting to see who will be the other point against Smith and how they run that team.
10-27-2005 09:31 AM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

cross posted on the olde board.

Well first thing that happened is Reed got hurt, looked like his hand, maybe wrist. They worked on him for a while and he tried to come back into the game but first time he caught a pass it hurt to much and came out and stayed out.

Smith was Smith,several unbelievable plays some that worked and some that didn't.

Knuckles. I didn't think he played very well at all disappeared and didn't have a chance guarding Sneed overpowered and outquicked. Right now I don't see him starting over Sneed or Thomas.

Rhoda his usual game tough hard nosed.

Reed Undecided was showing a nice shooting touch including from 3pt range in the warmups but got hurt to early in game to tell.

Strong & Piagrams both shot the 3pter pretty well and often Right now I give the nod to Strong by a bit.

Sneed Power basketball and that slam off the backboard pass from Piagram? was awesome.

Thomas great moves around the basket and a nice touch from outside including 3 pt range.

Taylor was the most impressive of the 3 freshmen but that might have been becuase he was the starting PG on the White team so got alot more touchs. Keaton and Willaims split time as SG on the Blue team (Smiths) and showed nice range and touch when they got a chances.

The walkon Tuggs? seemed to be an athlete but raw. He got a ton of playing time since Reed got hurt in fact only people who really got much rest where the 2 freshman who split time for blue team.

With Reeds injury the White team was short handed and Tuggs couldn't guard Thomas at all, they made some runs but the Blue team won pretty easily 96-77.
Blue team First 5 starters
1. Smith
2. Williams
3. Rhoda
4. Thomas
5. Knuckles
6. Keaton

White
1. Taylor
2. Piagrams
3. Strong
4. Reed
5. Sneed
6. Tuggs

Right now if I had to pick my starters would be.
1. Smith
2. Strong
3. Rhoda
4. Thomas
5. Sneed

With Piagram backing up Smith and Strong with Taylor getting some time at the Point.
Have Reed and Swader backing up Rhoda and Thomas at 3-4
and Knuckles behind Sneed in the middle.

Not sure how much PT any of the Freshman will get,even Taylor since Smith doesn't come out much and Piagram or Strong could handle the point during those brief spells The walkon will probably only get your typical walkon minutes.

Lots of depth, athletism and shooting could be a promising year.

Rod
10-29-2005 05:59 PM
BigBlueFan1 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Overall I was pretty encouraged with the scrimmage. The downside was Reed getting hurt. Hopefully it is just a sprain, but...

Anyway, I thought Timmy looked pretty good. Seemed he was looking to pass then shoot which is a big turnaround from last year. That may be because we have some scorers this year. I think our 3 point shooting will be much improved based on today's performance. I believe our depth is going to be good with us going as much as 10 deep without a whole lot of drop off.

Other impressions: Taylor handled defending Smith pretty well. He is just about as quick as Smith and he did get the upper hand on him a couple of times. Thought he ran the white team pretty well. He did make some freshman mistakes but that is to be expected.

Sneed really outplayed Brad. Maybe it was because Nuck missed most of last year, but Dillion looked really good. He handled the ball much better than he did last year and was a strong force inside again. Based on today, he starts over Brad in the 5 spot.

Travis was shooting lights out again. Rhoda gave his normal blue-collar performance.

On to the new guys. Thomas was the one that really stood out to me. I see him starting at the 4 spot. I think he could also come out and play the 3. Showed a good shooting touch from both inside and outside. Without seeing Swader, he looked the best of the new guys.

Pigram also impressed me. Good shooting touch and good ball handleing ability. He did take some shots that I thought he shouldn't have, but he will learn.

Keeton and Williams also looked pretty good. Tuggle did well filling in for Reed.

I thought the team chemistry was much better than last year and they worked the ball around like a team should.

Defense still was a weakness but it that can improve.

I was also impressed with the fact that after playing a full game, the kids were still fighting for the ball and going just as hard at the end as they were at the start of the game.

I think barring injuries and ego issues we should have a good year.

Starting 5 based on today:

Smith
Strong
Rhoda
Thomas
Sneed
10-29-2005 06:48 PM
Advertisement

BucDoctor Offline
All American

I Root For: UVa, ETSU

From the comments in today's local press, looks like Murray's already making excuses about the lack of defense.

Now gosh darn, I talk to them about defense and they just won't listen (Murray paraphrased).

I sure hope Santa brings defensive play to the Bucs this year, that may be the only way it arrives.
10-30-2005 09:58 AM
andone Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Soiuds like the Bucs will be a force in the conference. Note: you all better bring your defence in this league or you will fade fast. Again Timmy is the best player in the league hands down. Nuckles better stop being soft and get some back bone about him. He will be embarrassed if he doen't.
10-30-2005 11:11 AM
Bucfaithful Offline
Heisman

BucDoctor Wrote:From the comments in today's local press, looks like Murray's already making excuses about the lack of defense.

Now gosh darn, I talk to them about defense and they just won't listen (Murray paraphrased).

I sure hope Santa brings defensive play to the Bucs this year, that may be the only way it arrives.
I do not think Bartow was making excuses at all. He said very directly, "...our defense was a major disappointment". How's that making an excuse. If he would have made a "Yes...but" type of comment, I would have been frustrated with him.

With regard to the scrimmage, here are thoughts on the positives (and negatives)
-Andrew Reed-serious bummer. He looked bigger, better and more confident than last year. I wonder if a medical redshirt is a possibility.
-Brad Nuckles-I hope he was just rusty. I was a little disappointed. Sneed abused him
-Each of the newcomers had talent, speed, and complimentary strengths. I really liked Taylor. He has great speed and size (will need to hit the weight room). At a long 6'2", he will pose matchup problems for opposing D's.
Pigram is extremely talented that needs to make better decisions. I saw him dunk with ease in practice.
-Keaton seemed just solid to me. Nothing fancy, but effective.
-Williams- Deadly shooter, lightning quick release.

I was most impressed with Eryk Thomas. Complete package and really seems like a selfless player. With Andrew going down, he will need to be huge. I would definitely start him.

My opening day startup.
Smith
Strong (Looked wonderful, reminiscent of the 2004 Socon tourney)
Rhoda
Sneed
Thomas
10-30-2005 01:55 PM
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators

Well maybe I'm the only one that thinks this, but I really don't feel Nuckles is the reason we lost all of those games last year. He might of helped us win one or two more, but thats it. We just werent that good last year. Now, alot of posters say they would put someone else in front of Nuckles in the starting position. More proof that Nuckles really wasnt the reason we lost all of those games last season. Nuckles in my opinion, really isnt the incredible player some people think he is.
10-30-2005 04:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bucfaithful Offline
Heisman

ETSUfan1 Wrote:Well maybe I'm the only one that thinks this, but I really don't feel Nuckles is the reason we lost all of those games last year. He might of helped us win one or two more, but thats it. We just werent that good last year. Now, alot of posters say they would put someone else in front of Nuckles in the starting position. More proof that Nuckles really wasnt the reason we lost all of those games last season. Nuckles in my opinion, really isnt the incredible player some people think he is.
You may be right...I've seen glimpses of brilliance (e.g., Wake Forest game comes to mind, and a handful of others), but no consistency. Untapped potential thus far. I think he has the POTENTIAL to be dominant. A 6'9" guy with range just doesn't come along everday. He has 2 years to establish himself.
10-31-2005 08:24 AM
Advertisement

etsuBucsFan1988 Offline

I got up to the game and seems like I observed the same as everyone else. Smith being just 2 assists shy of a triple double is impressive. Pigram is the real deal and if he doesn't start he won't sit for long. Sneed pretty much used Nuckles and may be a force in the new league. Taylor I thought was very impressive handling the ball and was sneaky quick. Defense will tell the tale though. BTW its looking more like Patterson (UT) will not be available for the at least the ETSU game. That will help the Bucs inside if that stays true.
10-31-2005 08:38 AM
BucDoctor Offline
All American

I Root For: UVa, ETSU

I'm betting this is Nuckles last year. Just speculation, but he entered ETSU out of high school as a second semester frosh, almost enough credits to be a sophomore. Add that to a redshirt year and well, you do the math.

Just a hunch.
10-31-2005 05:46 PM
Bucfaithful Offline
Heisman

Can you enter graduate school and still retain you athletic eligibility??
11-01-2005 01:11 PM
bucs77 Offline
Special Teams

I believe so. I believe as long as you’re considered a full time student you can play.
11-01-2005 01:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.