www.fireronsanto.com
05-stirthepot
05-17-2007 12:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Flames24Rulz Offline
All American

I Root For: SIU and NIU

It was pretty funny. Yesterday on MJH on ESPN 1000, they described how Santo would keep on mumbling while 3 or 4 pitches go by during the game to which Hughes says, "Count is 2-1, go on Ronny." Sure enough, during the game yesterday, you can hear the pop of the mitt FOUR times during one of Santo's mumbling rants about something.

He loves the Cubs, but man...he's just brutal. Hughes and Steve Stone for next year's announce team.
05-17-2007 12:24 AM
NIUtrav09 Offline
Huskies and Illini. Get over it!

I Root For: NIU and U of I

Also some controversy about what he said regarding the pink bats used on Mothers Day to raise money for breast cancer charity.

Apparently he thought it was dumb and they should "go back to the other bats." A female caller wrote in saying it's funny how he always promotes his diabetes fund but then he says he doesn't like the pink bats....

Funny bc he read it on air then of course apologized
05-17-2007 12:31 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent

Santo is at a disadvantage because he is in the same town as a Hall of Fame announcer like Ken the Hawk Harrelson. Noone compares to the Hawk.
05-17-2007 12:36 AM
BleedsHuskieRed Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU

Donators

MaddDawgz02 Wrote:Santo is at a disadvantage because he is in the same town as a Hall of Fame announcer like Ken the Hawk Harrelson. Noone compares to the Hawk.
I'm gonna sit this argument out. CHoran knows what I'm talking about...
05-17-2007 12:37 AM
clcfball11 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU!!!

MaddDawgz02 Wrote:Santo is at a disadvantage because he is in the same town as a Hall of Fame announcer like Ken the Hawk Harrelson. Noone compares to the Hawk.

hawk harrelson is as much of a joke as your sports opinions are.
05-17-2007 01:12 AM
Advertisement

MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

clcfball11 Wrote:

Hawk knows the game like no other, you can dislike him personally, but you can't deny he is a baseball genius.
05-17-2007 01:16 AM
Flames24Rulz Offline
All American

Hahahahaha, I like him, but HOF announcer? Are you serious? Did you watch either game today? He used the umpires "teacup" strike zone for an excuse as to why the Sox offense was so bad. He can be just God awful at times.

And speaking of PBP guys, I'm done with Kasper. His annoying voice and his constant excuse making for the Cubs (I loved how both him and Brenly attributed the Cubs lack of offense tonight due to the cramped visitors clubhouse during the rain delay) have grown dry. Last night in the 6th inning, it seemed like he was speaking something out of a novel the way he was saying how the Cubs would turn it around. He said the same stuff last year on how the Cubs were a "better team than their record indicates." And he fails to call out players. It's been 3 years since the Mercker and Alou incidents. Seriously, don't be afraid of the players.

I really miss Chip and Stone. That was solid.
05-17-2007 01:16 AM
Flames24Rulz Offline
All American

MaddDawgz02 Wrote:
clcfball11 Wrote:

Hawk knows the game like no other, you can dislike him personally, but you can't deny he is a baseball genius.

Just because he knows the game doesn't mean he's a complete dumb*** at times. Ron Santo knows the game. I guess that makes him a good announcer lmfao
05-17-2007 01:17 AM
CHoran24 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Michigan & NIU

hahaha are you kidding me, watch any game when the White Sox are not winning. When the White Sox are losing you may go three minutes with Hawk and Ken not saying a single word. I understand that they are fans of the team, but come on they are payed to announce the game no matter what is happening.

I know Santo sucks, but that is what is great about him, he is so bad its funny. Anyone who heard him during the game when Brent Brown dropped a fly ball that would have sent the Cubs to the playoffs know what I am talking about. There is also nothing better then when he makes fun of himself, I think we need to turn this theard into our favorite Ron Santo quotes.

Pat: And everyone in the stadium are on their feet
Ron: I'm not.
05-17-2007 08:58 AM
NIUtrav09 Offline

MD02, you ONLY watch Sox games so how can you say he's the best announcer?

I have MLB Extra Innings and I have heard every announcer in the league.

Without a doubt the best announcer in MLB is the LA Dodgers Vin Scully. He's a one man show.. he is filled with baseball knowledge and he has the perfect voice. The best since the late Jack Buck. Anyone who has heard him would agree.

I hate the Cardinals announcers... they have no passion and couldn't care less if the Cards won or lost.. they are just there to collect paychecks. Santo is a good guy. Very annoying at times but I'd take a guy like him who is actually a fan (even if he is out of control sometimes) over the Cards announcers.

Hawk? Please... same old **** day after day.
05-17-2007 10:18 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

dynovinyl Offline
Heisman

NIUtrav09 Wrote:Without a doubt the best announcer in MLB is the LA Dodgers Vin Scully. He's a one man show
Duh. He's been the best or one of the best for 57 years. Without a doubt the best radio guy I have ever heard.

Quote:The best since the late Jack Buck. Anyone who has heard him would agree.
Buck was pretty good, but from the guys I've listened too, I'd definately rank Scully and former Tigers' announcer Ernie Harwell ahead of Buck.

On tape Mel Allen was pretty cool.

Quote:I hate the Cardinals announcers.
I'll take John Rooney back. He's one of my favorites as well. My brother-in-law (big Cardinals fan, lives in St. Louis) doesn't like him either. I don't get it. Maybe something in the chemistry is missing. Speaking of Sox announcers, I also enjoyed Don Drysdale and Tom Pachorek. Hawk was fun for a while, but his act has grown old with me. Once TP left, Hawk went down hill. The fact that he doesn't help his current partner become a better announcer is crazy. Listen to DJ when he does a national game and he's much better. It's time for Hawk to move on.
05-17-2007 10:42 AM
NIUtrav09 Offline

dynovinyl Wrote:
Quote:I hate the Cardinals announcers.
I'll take John Rooney back. He's one of my favorites as well. My brother-in-law (big Cardinals fan, lives in St. Louis) doesn't like him either. I don't get it. Maybe something in the chemistry is missing. Speaking of Sox announcers, I also enjoyed Don Drysdale and Tom Pachorek. Hawk was fun for a while, but his act has grown old with me. Once TP left, Hawk went down hill. The fact that he doesn't help his current partner become a better announcer is crazy. Listen to DJ when he does a national game and he's much better. It's time for Hawk to move on.

Rooney is probably the best of the announcers. Very knowledgeable. However, he doesn't put much emotion in the game. He gets just as excited for a Cards HR as he does an opposing teams HR. Now, I realize that's what a "good" announcer is supposed to do but I prefer a *little* hometown bias.

Al Hrabowsky is decent too. He's a ex Cardinal and you can tell he's actually a fan. Sometimes he sounds bored.. like last night for example late in the game past 11pm central time, he sounded ready for bed.
05-17-2007 10:55 AM
dynovinyl Offline
Heisman

NIUtrav09 Wrote:He gets just as excited for a Cards HR as he does an opposing teams HR. Now, I realize that's what a "good" announcer is supposed to do but I prefer a *little* hometown bias.
I'm glad you put good in quotes. The snobbery over "homer" announcers is dumb. I don't know why some have a problem with it.
05-17-2007 11:23 AM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

Worst announcer in the league hands down is Joe Buck...he let his bias get in the way of his call of the game which is inexcusable for a national telecast.
05-17-2007 12:28 PM
BleedsHuskieRed Offline
All American

Donators

MaddDawgz02 Wrote:Worst announcer in the league hands down is Joe Buck...he let his bias get in the way of his call of the game which is inexcusable for a national telecast.
I happen to like Joe Buck.
05-17-2007 12:36 PM
Advertisement

HuskiesComeOnYouHuskies Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU Huskies!

BleedsHuskieRed Wrote:
MaddDawgz02 Wrote:Worst announcer in the league hands down is Joe Buck...he let his bias get in the way of his call of the game which is inexcusable for a national telecast.
I happen to like Joe Buck.

I do as well.
05-17-2007 12:50 PM
NIUtrav09 Offline

Wow MD we agree on something. EXCEPT I wouldn't call him the worst. He's definitely not good though.. not as good as a Buck should be. I think he's good as a "national" broadcaster but he does Cards games every now and then and I don't like him in that role. He has very little, if any loyalty to the Cards which is ridiculous considering his father is a Cardinal legend and if it weren't for him, we probably wouldnt' know who the hell Joe Buck is.
05-17-2007 01:23 PM
dynovinyl Offline
Heisman

Despite Joe Buck's smugness and his tendancy to tip his bias at times in national telecasts, I don't mind him as an announcer. I wouldn't be broken up if he were never on television again, but he does have a good play by play style.
05-17-2007 01:24 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

Flames24Rulz Wrote:He loves the Cubs, but man...he's just brutal. Hughes and Steve Stone for next year's announce team.

Amazing to think one could pine back for Harry.......
05-17-2007 02:11 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.