Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Virginia Tech game
The Flash Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent State
Virginia Tech game
Any chatter about this game or have we all switched to b-ball? How should the coaching staff approach the game? Win or player development? If Edelmen is marginally healthy, does he play?

My thoughts are to get lots of guys some work. Keep Edelmen out at all costs. Have some fun, play hard, no injuires and prepare for EMU. Even with everyone healthy, winning this game was highly unlikely. Survive Blacksburg and win the last two MAC games hoping OU stubs their toe down the stretch too!
11-08-2006 09:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

I Root For: Kent State/James Madison

Game will be on ESPN-U and I will be glued to the TV. I never believe in moral victories, but I think after the past 2 weeks a supposed "moral victory" might be acceptable this weekend in order to right this ship for the last 2 weeks. A demolishing at the hands of the Hokies may crush any hope of anything and the guys may finish up with a wimper rather than a bang. I'd be afraid to keep Edelman out, Machen in this offense against Va Tech would be too much to witness. All those sacks, his passes going for - yards would be too much to watch. 03-melodramatic
11-08-2006 11:20 AM
The Flash Offline
All American

Machen scares me too, but Edelmen is too valuable to put out there injured just to get mauled and lose him for the MAC games that matter. Sit him and get some guys other than Machen work.

Heck maybe VT will overlook them... ;-)
11-08-2006 11:26 AM
kent1991 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:
Play to win in all games
Hi,

I hate to use sports cliches, but much depends on which KSU team shows up. This is still a winable game. No doubt Kent embarassed itselft at UB. Losing to UB is a real program killer....but it happens. Kent has talent. Va Tech is beatable. Look at the schedule. Many wins over weak competition. They did beat Clemson, so I'm not going to say that VA Tech is a bad team.

If Kent apporaches this game as a given loss and simply uses it as an extended practice to rotate in the 2nd and 3rd teams, then the program deserves to be in crap city forever. I don't care what level of football, I don't care if the game is in or out of conference. You have to play to win in every game.

Giving Edelman a breather at Va Tech is the equivalent of the mother-fuuuuuuuuuing bye week that killed the team's momentum before OU.

In a season in which every game is a turning point of sorts, the game at Va Tech is the most important game they'll play all year. If they come out and self-destruct at Va Tech.....they don't win again this year.....

My prediction: Kent 28 - VT 20.

Go kent
11-08-2006 11:29 AM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

I'll be in Columbus and my choices there are either hanging out with my uncle, who is an OSU football season ticket holder, watching the Buckeyes at that time, or being at the Schott watching hoops all afternoon and evening.
Hmm...let me see...

Uh, hoops.
11-08-2006 11:30 AM
ohiovarsity Offline
Special Teams

I'll tell you this, there are some guys on our roster that I'm sure have had this game circled for a long time:

Jack Williams
Barry Drakeford
Joe Crivella
Stevon Moss

Those players are all from Virginia and were overlooked by the Hokies (there are a few others...but the ones above see a lot of playing time).

Maybe Virginia Tech is overlooking Kent and maybe some of the Kent players are not very inspired to play this game; but the guys listed above are going to be hungry.

I don't think VT is overlooking Kent, but they probably aren't too worried either:

"You've got to play every week," Virginia Tech head coach Frank Beamer said. "They've got good players, their quarterback really does a lot for them. A couple of guys are actually from Virginia. We need to get ready to play and take care of business because this is a very capable football team."
11-08-2006 12:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ohiovarsity Offline
Special Teams

On the line is KSU's 31-game losing streak to BCS opponents.
11-08-2006 12:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
FlashFan Offline
Heisman

Sounds like Edelman is too hurt to play, Martin was unclear about him even making the trip.

If nothing is broken, Julian is expected to be back against EMU.
11-08-2006 12:56 PM
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

Then who is the 3rd stringer? He has to be more mobile than Machen, a scarecrow has more mobility.
11-08-2006 01:49 PM
ohiovarsity Offline
Special Teams

Yep, sounds like a game-time decision on Edelman. 03-melodramatic
11-08-2006 01:49 PM
Kent 76 Offline
All American

I Root For:

Polish hammer, to the best of my knowledge, Anthony Magazu is the next QB in line. He is a Redshirt freshman. Anthony Pastore, another redshirt freshman, was 4th, the last I heard. Of course, they could always un-redshirt Jon Brown, who played a lot last year, but I think that would be highly unlikely.
11-08-2006 04:23 PM
Advertisement

AlphaFlash Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent St. & UNC

Sidelining Edelman and playing the 2nd, 3rd stringers says to the team's moral that they are not competitive. Not uncompetitive aginst VT, but against everyone. I don't think Martin is going to put that on their heads. If he is injured, then yea, don't let him play. But if he is okay and they don't play him for safety reasons, that shows weakness.
11-08-2006 04:45 PM
GFlash68 Offline
All American

Crappies

One thing missing from our program has been physical and mental toughness. One way to continue our past is to enter a game with the object being not to get hurt. Get tough and WIN THE GAME, or go home.
11-08-2006 05:10 PM
flashgrad03 Offline
1st String

Good posts everyone.

All I can say is I will be at the game and I am just hoping that it is worth the trip. If we can keep it reasonable and still be playing for something in the second half I will be happy. If anyone here believes we can win theis game without a healthy edelman, you need to get checked out for mental illness.

Dont get me wrong, I am hoping for a huge upset, It would be great to be able to back up a the smack I am going to be talking to people before the game!!!!! 04-rock

GO FLASHES BEAT JOKIES!!!!
11-08-2006 05:40 PM
ohiovarsity Offline
Special Teams

I'd like to think we can get a good showing out of the team.

They need to rebound...they still have something to play for besides a winning season...PRIDE.
11-08-2006 06:46 PM
FlashFan Offline
Heisman

Quote:Polish hammer, to the best of my knowledge, Anthony Magazu is the next QB in line. He is a Redshirt freshman

I've heard he's pretty good, and may even be pushing Machen for back up. Anthony's dad is a TE coach for the Carolina Panthers.
11-08-2006 09:13 PM
Advertisement

P2MFlashPM Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: KENT STATE!!

flashgrad03, if you've been to a VTech game before, where is the best place to crash for the game? I hope the weather holds...don't like heights as it is. Something tells me this isn't going to be a fun drive down, but it'll take more than a few hills to make me sit out one of Kent's games!

If anyone has any ideas, please pass them on. Thanks!
11-09-2006 09:50 AM
#2dad
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Jack Williams vt said JACK was too small to play d1
11-09-2006 12:37 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

Their loss was our gain, he's had a great career so far and hopefully there's alot more to show in the rest of this season and next.
11-09-2006 01:18 PM
flashgrad03 Offline
1st String

P2MFlashPM Wrote:flashgrad03, if you've been to a VTech game before, where is the best place to crash for the game? I hope the weather holds...don't like heights as it is. Something tells me this isn't going to be a fun drive down, but it'll take more than a few hills to make me sit out one of Kent's games!

If anyone has any ideas, please pass them on. Thanks!

I'vbe never been there before. I am staying at a hotel in Dublin, Va its about 20 min away. I have poted on a va tech board to find out some info they siad its a great atmosphere down there and there is plenty of tailgating before hand and bars to go to after if thats what you're looking for. Any idea where your seast are? Mine are WAAAAAAAAY up hopefully there will be some Kent fans around. it could get lonely if we struggle

GO FLASHES!!!!!
11-09-2006 05:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.