*Georgia Southern* AD slams Sun Belt!
Bookmark and Share
Trojans1andAll Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Troy

Here is a link to the Ga. Southern AD's Q&A page:

<a href='http://athletics.gasou.edu/askAD.html' target='_blank'>link</a>
scroll down just a bit to 'Q&A'

Can you believe the nerve of this guy? Mr. No Guts, No Vision has the audacity to criticize Sun Belt schools for going out and trying to compete at the highest level.

BTW, he mentions that Nebraska will never play in Troy, but he forgets to mention that Missouri sure as heck is! And that wonderful Marshall team he praises got their butts handed to them by Troy last year!

All of you Sun Belt fans need to flood this joker with emails and school him on the Sun Belt and his spineless criticism.

This guy just made my %*@# list! :mad:

GO TROJANS!
05-03-2004 07:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Talons Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Your are right this guy is an idiot. Sounds like he is getting some heat to go to D1 and is using the Belt as an excuse. The reality is if Ga Southern did make a move to D1 the sun belt would be the best way in. New growing conference and close to other schools in the conference. That is why IMO WKU is a perfect fit and to get this conference closer to having its own conference championship. A couple of more years to let the roots take hold and it can be very interesting. Then you go back to idiots like this and tell him to stick it 04-cheers
05-03-2004 09:35 PM
DC_Clone
Unregistered

Well guess WW can cross Sam B. off his Christmas list(if he was ever on it). :wave:
05-03-2004 10:42 PM
Quote this message in a reply
MaXx Offline
2nd String

I Root For: FIU

Well, FIU hosts Georgia Southern on November 13th, wonder who you guys will be rooting for 03-wink

04-cheers
05-04-2004 10:00 AM
Unixmaster
Unregistered

Trojans1andAll Wrote:Here is a link to the Ga. Southern AD's Q&A page:

<a href='http://athletics.gasou.edu/askAD.html' target='_blank'>link</a>
scroll down just a bit to 'Q&A'

Can you believe the nerve of this guy? Mr. No Guts, No Vision has the audacity to criticize Sun Belt schools for going out and trying to compete at the highest level.

BTW, he mentions that Nebraska will never play in Troy, but he forgets to mention that Missouri sure as heck is! And that wonderful Marshall team he praises got their butts handed to them by Troy last year!

All of you Sun Belt fans need to flood this joker with emails and school him on the Sun Belt and his spineless criticism.

This guy just made my %*@# list! :mad:

GO TROJANS!
Georgia Southern can stay in 1AA for all I care, I'm not asking them to move up. Stateboro is for the most part a crappy little town in a crappy part of GA. Statesboro would be where the tube would be inserted if the state of Georgia ever had an enema - and the end result would be ga.southern fans.

As 1aa becomes more and more insignificant, so will georgia southern.
05-04-2004 05:38 PM
Trojans1andAll Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Troy

Quote:As 1aa becomes more and more insignificant, so will georgia southern.

I don't ever recall reading a one line poem before, that was truly a great line. 04-bow May I use that one?

GO TROJANS!
05-04-2004 08:30 PM
Advertisement

Unixmaster
Unregistered

Trojans1andAll Wrote:

I don't ever recall reading a one line poem before, that was truly a great line. 04-bow May I use that one?

GO TROJANS!
yes, no royalties, fees, or attribution is necessary.
05-04-2004 08:51 PM
studentfan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Crappies

MaXx Wrote:Well, FIU hosts Georgia Southern on November 13th, wonder who you guys will be rooting for 03-wink

04-cheers
Don't worry we'll be rooting for ya'll anyways. But now ya'll need to kill them to show them what the SBC can do.
05-04-2004 08:55 PM
MaXx Offline
2nd String

I Root For: FIU

studentfan Wrote:
MaXx Wrote:Well, FIU hosts Georgia Southern on November 13th, wonder who you guys will be rooting for 03-wink

04-cheers
Don't worry we'll be rooting for ya'll anyways. But now ya'll need to kill them to show them what the SBC can do.
Last year they barely beat us at their place, 37-35. I'm hoping we can pull off the win this time around.
05-04-2004 10:16 PM
Cajunman02 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
CrappiesCrappies

SpaceRaider Wrote:
Trojans1andAll Wrote:

GO TROJANS!
I'd watch out. WKU fans might say they came up with that line first and sue you for $250 million. You better watch out.
05-04-2004 10:36 PM
topper1974 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Cajunman02 Wrote:
SpaceRaider Wrote:
Trojans1andAll Wrote:

GO TROJANS!
I'd watch out. WKU fans might say they came up with that line first and sue you for $250 million. You better watch out.
At least we have a mascot people are interested in copying...now...what was yours again?
05-05-2004 05:51 AM
Advertisement

broncobob Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Broncos

Crappies

MaXx Wrote:Last year they barely beat us at their place, 37-35. I'm hoping we can pull off the win this time around.
I must say, it sure is nice to pull for programs ran in equal-opportunity fashions in that they do not run off long-time friends to the university who are million dollar donors like GSU did here recently!
05-05-2004 09:23 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
galojah Offline
All American

I Root For: WKU & NC State

Donators

You can't argue you too much with what the man said. Several 1-AA schools have made the move that SHOULD NOT HAVE. I commend him for being honest with his fans and not falling to the pressure of his boosters. 1-A is not the best thing for everyone. Several teams in the SBC are hurting and probably should not have made the jump.

I appreciate the fact my school is taking more time and really thinking it through before making any big steps.
05-05-2004 02:45 PM
SwampHound Offline
All American

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappies

04-cheers
Your kidding right? FIU of course. GEAUX PANTHERS!!!!!!!
05-05-2004 07:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
littlebittyschool Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: TROY

I think FIU will be competitive in the Belt much quicker than most people are giving them credit for. I was at our game with them last year and they showed flashes of a very good team. A couple of their posistions are already up to par. If the overall talent level continues to increase, you won't be able to put an automatic "W" by their space on the schedule for much longer. I would like to add that Troy played a totally uninspired game that day, was down to one running back who had ever carried the ball in a game before, and we were "working" on some new things. Having said all that, FIU gave us all we wanted and more. FIU made some nice plays on both sides of the ball.
Overall, I think the Sunbelt talent level is rising. It will take a little while for FAU and FIU to catch up to NMSU and USU. As for the other schools in the conference, many of us reported having one of our "best" recruiting years ever. Taking players away from CUSA, WAC, MAC, and even BCS conferences (SEC, Big XII, Big East mainly). The Belt will prove some people wrong and even our "weak" teams will be adding something positive.
Good things are about to happen in the Belt. Just wait one more year also guys and you'll get to see TMTDM in a basketball arena near you too. Can you say, "Multi-Bid Conference?"
Oh yeah, and FAU baseball and TMTDM baseball ain't gonna hurt either. Can you say, "Multi-Multi-Bid Conference?"
05-05-2004 09:21 PM
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

littlebittyschool Wrote:Oh yeah, and FAU baseball and TMTDM baseball ain't gonna hurt either. Can you say, "Multi-Multi-Bid Conference?"
The Sun Belt Conference usually sends three or four teams to the NCAA CWS Baseball Tournament. So we are already a "multi-multi-bid conference" in that sport.
05-06-2004 08:43 AM
Advertisement

EagleMania Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

BlueRaiderPride Wrote:
MaXx Wrote:Last year they barely beat us at their place, 37-35. I'm hoping we can pull off the win this time around.
I must say, it sure is nice to pull for programs ran in equal-opportunity fashions in that they do not run off long-time friends to the university who are million dollar donors like GSU did here recently!
Blue Raider Pride:
Who is this million dollar donor you're referring?
First I've heard about this. :rolleyes:

You guys need to chill. What did Sam say that was so untrue? What school did Sam pick out and slam? 05-nono
05-18-2004 12:24 AM
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

EagleMania Wrote:
BlueRaiderPride Wrote:
Blue Raider Pride:

You guys need to chill. What did Sam say that was so untrue? What school did Sam pick out and slam? 05-nono
He singled out the Sun Belt when the MAC clearly had AS MANY losses to 1-AA teams as the SBC did.

Why pick on the Sun Belt?

Why not rag Temple for losing to Villanova?

Why not blast Eastern Michigan, Kent, Akron, or Buffalo who have all lost to 1-AA teams recently?

He blasted ONLY teams from a 1-A conference that was three years old going on four!

He neglected the fact that Troy has beaten this Marshall team he praised.

He neglected to mention four victories over BC$ teams.

He neglected to mention the more national and regional appearances the Sun Belt teams make compared to the 1-AA's.

It wasn't what he said, it was how he said. It wasn't what he was presenting, but how he presented it.

I emailed the prick, but he hasn't emailed me back probably because he knows I'm right it what I told him.

Sam Baker is hoping the Sun Belt will get worse over time just so he can be more and more right! Well, I got news for that b!tch. The Sun Belt will get better and leave poor little 1-AA schools in the ghettos of hick towns like Statesboro, Georgia behind!
05-18-2004 08:48 AM
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

EagleMania Wrote:
BlueRaiderPride Wrote:
Blue Raider Pride:

Irked Russell: Fie to Eagles
Tony Barnhart - Staff
Wednesday, February 18, 2004

Perhaps no man is tied closer to the identity of a school than Erk Russell is to Georgia Southern. Russell built Georgia Southern football from nothing into a Division I-AA national power and remained its most famous celebrity long after his retirement in 1989.

Now, Russell has issued a statement that all but severs his ties with Georgia Southern, which he has helped as a fund raiser and unofficial representative. The move follows the firing of his son, Rusty, Georgia Southern's defensive coordinator since 1997.

"Your highest highs are never as high as your lowest lows are low," said Erk Russell, 77. "I've felt all of that at Georgia Southern. This is the lowest of those lows."

Rusty Russell was fired after a 7-4 season in which the Eagles' defense allowed 21.1 points per game and gave up fourth-quarter leads in three of its losses. His father was upset with coach Mike Sewak's statements when announcing the firing.

"I visited with Coach [Erk Russell] on those matters," Sewak said at his Jan. 14 news conference. "He's our tradition. He brought me here."

Erk Russell said that comment made it sound as if he knew before the fact that his son would be fired. In fact, he said, the meeting with Sewak came at his insistence and only after he learned of the firing. Rusty Russell was told his fate in late November. Erk Russell met with Sewak in early December.

"I never would have responded the way I did unless there had been those statements in the media," Erk Russell said. "It read as if we had met on the matter, discussed it, and that's the way it came out. But that's not the way it was."

Erk Russell said he asked Sewak whose decision it was to fire Rusty Russell. When Sewak said it was his decision alone, Erk Russell said: "I'm gone, too."

Sewak and Georgia Southern athletics director Sam Baker issued statements on the matter but would have no further comment, said Tom McClellan, the school's athletics media relations director.

Said Baker: "I have the utmost respect for Coach Erk Russell, but I support our head coaches' prerogative to make difficult decisions regarding their program. To elaborate any further on this matter would not be of benefit to any of the parties involved."

Sewak worked two seasons as an assistant to Erk Russell in the mid-1980s, and Sewak and Rusty Russell were the top candidates for the head coaching job at Georgia Southern when Paul Johnson left for Navy after the 2001 season. Sewak, the offensive coordinator, got the job. Sewak would only say that: "I feel for the position Coach [Erk] Russell is in."

Erk Russell won Division I-AA championships at Georgia Southern in 1985, 1986 and 1989 and was defensive coordinator at Georgia for 17 years.

Contacted at his home in Statesboro, Erk Russell insisted that he was angry not because his son was fired but because of the way Georgia Southern handled it.

"If Rusty has gotten fired because he was a sorry coach or did something irresponsible, then I'm the first one that will tell you that the head coach has the authority and the responsibility to do what he thinks should be done," Erk Russell said. "That is not what this is about."

Erk Russell would not say whether he would ever attend another Georgia Southern football game or any school function with his former players.

"At this point I'll never say never," he said. "At this point right now I'm not really thinking about things like that. I'm just trying to shake this. When the time comes we'll see what happens."
05-18-2004 09:02 AM
EagleMania Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

BlueRaiderPride Wrote:
EagleMania Wrote:
BlueRaiderPride Wrote:
Blue Raider Pride:

He singled out the Sun Belt when the MAC clearly had AS MANY losses to 1-AA teams as the SBC did.

Why pick on the Sun Belt?

Why not rag Temple for losing to Villanova?

Why not blast Eastern Michigan, Kent, Akron, or Buffalo who have all lost to 1-AA teams recently?

He blasted ONLY teams from a 1-A conference that was three years old going on four!

He neglected the fact that Troy has beaten this Marshall team he praised.

He neglected to mention four victories over BC$ teams.

He neglected to mention the more national and regional appearances the Sun Belt teams make compared to the 1-AA's.

It wasn't what he said, it was how he said. It wasn't what he was presenting, but how he presented it.

I emailed the prick, but he hasn't emailed me back probably because he knows I'm right it what I told him.

Sam Baker is hoping the Sun Belt will get worse over time just so he can be more and more right! Well, I got news for that b!tch. The Sun Belt will get better and leave poor little 1-AA schools in the ghettos of hick towns like Statesboro, Georgia behind!
Why 'pick' on the Sunbelt?
Maybe because, along with GSU, it's based in the south, and many would think that the belt would be the most likely conference we would enter if we decided to switch divisions.

Why not rag on Temple?
Maybe because neither Temple nor Villanova are southern teams.

Why not blast EMU, Kent, etc.....
Again, maybe because those universities aren't in the south.

Again...again, He 'blasted' the one conference that is based in the south that many believe would be the most likely conference we would enter.....etc.

He neglected Troy's win over Marshall?
I didn't know Troy was a member of the Sunbelt last season.

Why does he need to mention 4 wins over BCS teams by the Sunbelt when SoCon teams have many many more?

More national and regional appearances on what?
Certainly not on TV. Even with our 'bad' season last year, GSU alone was on regional or national TV 6 times last season.

Maybe Sam didn't return your email because you called him a prick or a b!tch, I know I wouldn't. You seem to have a lot of pent up fustration, maybe you need to find a 'happy place' somewhere.

I love this sentence:
"Sam Baker is hoping the Sun Belt will get worse over time just so he can be more and more right!"
Well, at least you did admit he was right. You are a bigger man than most Sunbelt fans. :laugh:

If you think Statesboro, Georgia is a hick town, you've never been to Troy, Alabama or Monroe, Louisiana.
Enjoy! :rolllol:

Before I forget. Erk was never a million dollar donor. However, he did help raise quite a lot of funds. Maybe one day Erk will come around and realize that his son doesn't get a free pass because of his last name.
Thanks.
05-18-2004 04:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.