Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UNT raffles Regal Eagle ride to UT game
DC_Clone
Unregistered

Fort Worth Star-Telegram article.

By Ashley Womble
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

Odds will be stacked against the University of North Texas' Mean Green football team when it plays the University of Texas Longhorns in Austin. But for one lucky North Texas fan, it may be the road trip of a lifetime.

UNT is a raffling off chances to win a ride Sept. 4 to Austin in its $1 million "Regal Eagle" luxury bus. The prize package includes travel to the game for the winner and 10 friends, tickets to the game and a tailgating party, and up to six hotel rooms for one night.

Tickets cost $50, and officials hope to sell 500. That would mean $25,000 for the university, UNT spokeswoman Nancy Kolsti said.

The custom-built bus was donated by UNT supporters Bill and Margot Winspear of Dallas in June 2003 to help the university's fund raising. Alumni and donors have been chauffeured from Dallas to Denton for concerts, lectures and athletic games.

The luxury coach has a deluxe restroom, wet bar and a living room complete with leather sofas and a plasma TV with surround sound.

UNT President Norval Pohl said the bus has helped the university raise about $1.25 million.

"We've used it not so much to get a single gift but to provide stewardship for people who are already involved in the university," Pohl said.

UNT alumnus Paul Polk rode with friends last year in the Regal Eagle to a Mean Green basketball game. He said the bus helps the university make a great impression.

"I was able to get a first-class education at UNT and make a good living. Now I am able to enjoy the events that they put on," he said.

Polk said that in the past, UNT's image didn't always match the quality of education it provided.

"Now I feel like the money I reinvest in the university is being well-spent," he said.

Brent Davison, interim vice president for development, said that by the end of the year the bus will have taken passengers to 63 events.

Polk plans to buy two raffle tickets for a chance to "see the Mean Green beat the Longhorns."

"I think it's an outstanding way to raise money," he said.

To get ticketsL
Call the Office of Development at (940) 565-3368. Tickets cost $50.

Ashley Womble, (817) 685-3858
awomble@star-telegram.com
07-12-2004 01:48 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

untbowler Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

This great for the University, the Texas fans will be jealous once they see the nice wheels. Good luck to the winner and have fun.

GMG eat UT :laugh:
07-12-2004 02:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
badgerwolf Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

That is awesome; what a way to go see you guys beat the Horns :D
07-12-2004 03:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.