Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Trojans complete first two-a-days
Bookmark and Share
Trojans1andAll Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Troy

from official Troy athletic site

Trojans complete first two-a-day practices

TROY, Ala. - Troy University head football coach Larry Blakeney put his 2004 Trojans squad through its first of four scheduled two-a-day practice sessions on Saturday.
Blakeney said he saw a lot of things he was encouraged about, but plenty of areas that need work.
"Jeremy Rowell really got after the secondary after the morning practice, and I thought they responded well in the afternoon," Blakeney said. "They got better and started making some plays."
Blakeney said the best thing he saw during the day was also the thing that concerned him most.
"The good thing was that we can’t block our defense," Blakeney said. "The bad thing is that we can’t block our defense. This time of camp is a lot like spring ball in that we have to find out what is real out there and what isn’t."
The Trojan receivers struggled during the afternoon practice with increased intensity from the secondary. Many receivers had dropped balls or fumbles after catches, both of which are areas of concern.
"Our wide receivers make some plays, but they don’t seem to be making plays with any consistency," Blakeney said. "We have got to get some consistency in our passing game, both throwing and catching the ball."
The Trojans will return to Movie Gallery Stadium on Sunday afternoon at 5:30 p.m. for the first full scrimmage of the fall camp. The scrimmage is expected to see both the first and second units get about 50 snaps each, with the younger players slated to get about 30 snaps.
"We haven’t had to worry with the heat this week, so I don’t think we’ll have any problem getting all the work we want on Sunday," Blakeney said. "The big thing I want to see is for the offense to show some consistency and make some plays. I also want to get a look at the kicking game at full speed. On defense, we want to get the starters some work, but we want to see if we can develop some depth."
Two particular areas of interest for the scrimmage will be the battle for the starting quarterback job between senior Aaron Leak and sophomore Carl Meadows, as well as the competition for the strong safety spot between redshirt freshman Clint Coe and sophomore Andre Morgan.
The Trojans will continue with two-a-day practices on Monday, Wednesday and Friday next week with single sessions slated for Tuesday and Thursday. A second full scrimmage is slated for next Saturday.
08-15-2004 01:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.