Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thoughts at the midpoint
The Flash Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent State

Well, it's the midpoint of the season and a good time for the Flashes to have a bye week. Anyone have any thoughts about the first or second half of the season? Is a .500 or above season possible?

1. Injuries really hurt on both sides of the ball. I don't think that I have ever seen more ankle/foot injuries on one team in a season. Is it that damn turf? I hate that crap.

2. Josh Cribbs, what can you say but amazing! They need to get him some help from the RB and WR positions to relieve him of the load in order to be successful in the second half of the season.

3. The record is not unexpected. However, I am disappointed that they let the NIU game get away. They really should be no worse than 3-3 right now.

4. Attitude: This team never seems to quit which is a huge improvement over past teams from an attitude standpoint. That will be tested if things go south in a few games in the second half of the seasoon. Remember the Buffalo and Akron games in 2000. I think they quit on Coach Pees at the end of that year.

5. Competitiveness - This team definately can compete in the MAC. We could not say that a few years ago. Now they need to learn to win and finish games. Proof is that fact I saw the other day that noted they have outscored opponents in the second and third quarters, but have been grossly outscored in the first and fourth. We need 60 minutes men!

6.Second Half Predictions-

OU - Win by 10+
UB - Win by 10+

Those two are inexcusable losses

BG - Loss by 10, They are loaded, but Flashes keep it close.

UConn - Win by 7 or less, they are improved and at home. Whoever wants it more will win

UCF - Loss in sunny FLA by 10-14, KSU is not a great road team and UCF is skilled and fast

Zippies - Big win, they are down this year and they are due for a Flash pounding after the crap of the last few years

Final record - 6-6 A little disappointing, but not terrible. However, it could go to 4-8 if they quit, have serious injuries, or some bad breaks.

GO FLASHES!

<small>[ October 10, 2002, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: The Flash ]</small>
10-10-2002 10:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Herd Fan 4-Life Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall

Donators

I think your O-line, well, make that the whole Offense blocks really well. Cribbs is an amazing, gifted athlete, but he gets good blocking to open up these holes. Once he hits those holes it's like trying to tackle the wind!

He's a better passer than I remember from last year. If you guys had a RB that could take the load off of Cribbs....look out!!

Do you think he will stick around for his senior year? I think he would be better suited as a RB in the NFL.
10-11-2002 12:09 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Flash Offline
All American

David Alston is a solid soph RB, but has been injured since training camp and has had only limited playing time. He would help immmensely.

Cribbs can pass well enough, particulary out of the pocket. If only he could find some receivers that actually can run routes and catch the ball...

Who knows what Cribbs' NFL potential is? He is still young, 19, and has time to develop.
10-11-2002 06:47 AM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

Those optimists among us (and how many are there given Flash football history?) probably hoped to be a game or two better at this point. The Miami game was within reach and the NIU game more so and we got neither.
BG and Central Florida would be very tough wins, but they can and should win the rest if they are making any progress this year.
I call for 7-5. Cribbs is better than last year, given that defenses are more prepared for him, and the rest of the O needs to come around some more and become more consistent--particularly the receivers.
We definately need a strong <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'>W</span></span> this week, or the whole season could start to disintegrate.
10-15-2002 12:00 PM
TB Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

The Flash Wrote:"Second Half Predictions-

OU - Win by 10+
UB - Win by 10+

Those two are inexcusable losses"
So what's the deal losing to Ohio 50-0? It's called Golden Flash football...they will never be good. I'm tired of this and to lose like this at home against a team that got beat bad by Northeastern is crazy.

Haven't we had this same discussion 2,4,8,12 years ago??? When is this program going to turn it around???
10-19-2002 05:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

The Flash Offline
All American

03-banghead 03-banghead 03-banghead 03-banghead 03-banghead

I'VE HAD IT ! I am really starting to believe that this program is hopeless. I think that they may never turn it around. After the lack of performance today, I'm done going to KSU fooball games. The band stinks, the cheerleaders stink, the team stinks...the whole "game day experience" stinks!

I have better ways to spend my entertainment time and money than to watch the unejoyable crap called the "KSU football experience". Call me when they turn it around, because after 16 seasons... I'M DONE!

KSU most likely will not meet the 15K requirement and be dropped to D-1AA or disbanded, which is what I think was Pres. Carol Cartwright's plan all along. She voted for the NCAA provision so that the decision would be taken out of her hands and she could make the NCAA the bad guy. The university saves money and she is not the bad guy.

Goodbye and good riddance! 04-cheers
10-19-2002 07:47 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

Don't throw in the towel now. Ohio was smoked by 1-AA NorthEastern 31-0 at home, just earlier this season and now were smoking 1-A teams. If Pees can recruit a couple impact players, he can turn it around yet. Cribbs still has two more seasons.

As for this 15k thing, Kent will possibly be dropped, but you won't know for sure untill after the 2004 season. Right now attendance is still being faked at a lot of places, and its hard to tell yet unless your going to the game how many were actually there. I was at the Ohio HC game and it was 20k bodies counted as 19k. A lot of recent alums were using ID's of yesteryear to get in unaccounted. EMU only brought 12 fans, just 12.

I'm pretty sure we will make the 15k cut. That Buffalo game drew 12,500 bodies, and that was our lowest turnout in 8 years. That game was played 7pm at night riding a 10 game loosing streak.

KC
10-21-2002 03:27 PM
ZippyRulz Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Reason
NCAAbbs LUG

The Flash Wrote:I'VE HAD IT ! I am really starting to believe that this program is hopeless. I think that they may never turn it around. After the lack of performance today, I'm done going to KSU fooball games. The band stinks, the cheerleaders stink, the team stinks...the whole "game day experience" stinks!

I have better ways to spend my entertainment time and money than to watch the unejoyable crap called the "KSU football experience". Call me when they turn it around, because after 16 seasons... I'M DONE!

KSU most likely will not meet the 15K requirement and be dropped to D-1AA or disbanded, which is what I think was Pres. Carol Cartwright's plan all along. She voted for the NCAA provision so that the decision would be taken out of her hands and she could make the NCAA the bad guy. The university saves money and she is not the bad guy.

Goodbye and good riddance!

I'm surprised KSU hasn't had more success in football over the many years in IA. You seem to do well in practically all other sports. You have a decent stadium, good practice fields, an indoor practice facility and a nice campus. Not a lot of past winning tradition but that hasn't kept other schools like Virginia Tech and Kansas State (former doormats) from moving up.

You may be right about Pres. Cartwright, maybe she wants to intentionally miss the 1A requirements and downgrade the program; frankly I wonder if Akron has the same idea. As for dropping football altogether, I doubt that will happen. I can see where 1A is getting bloated with a lot of smaller programs moving up and there's too much disparity from top to bottom. As universities we're not in the same size & economic class as the Big 10 schools so why should we be in sports? It's not gonna ruin my life if the NCAA decides to do some realignment. We'll still get the same level of player talent and it would be fun to kick some 1AA butt in the playoffs instead of getting ours kicked in the early season mismatches and watching all the same schools playing in the postseason bowls every year.

So cheer up already -- things will work out one way or another.
10-21-2002 11:13 PM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

I agree that KSU football is being shepharded into Div II.
The MAC may well have to split into 2 divisions that don't play each other: I & II.
Is this feasible under NCAA guidelines?
There is too much disparity between the haves and have nots in college football, as opposed to the increasing parity in basketball.
Decreasing scholarships would increase parity, but it ain't gonna happen: the powers are still moaning and crying:crying: about the last decrease in scholarships.
10-22-2002 09:40 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.